New Evo wannabe phones at CES

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been an interesting CES, and as an Evo owner, I've handled all the new phones. Even have some picture comparisons with my Evo for those curious about size comparisons...

First, the Verizon Thunderbolt appears to be nearly the same phone as the Evo. The kickstand is there (with a speaker behind, which is strange to me) and a shiny bezel, which I'm not sure I like as much as the plain Evo surface.

Most importantly, no HDMI... which IMO is a huge loss. The Verizon folks talk about DLNA that will work with the dock, but I've been in my room at the Mirage watching video podcasts and ripped movies on the 42-inch monitor using only a cheap cable from my Evo.

Here's the size comparison of the two phones side-by-side. Note, I'm running Launcher Pro and have Myn's custom ROM installed on my Evo:

1150775887_2YuiU-L.jpg

Backside comparison with the Evo. Not sure about the new kickstand, which is now pretty large and prominent:

1151749238_yFCcS-L.jpg

Next is another impressive phone from LG, the Revolution, which I saw announced. It does have HDMI out, but not a total mirror of the screen, from what I'm told. Felt nice and snappy, but is a little larger. Didn't feel like it had the polish of the Thunderbolt, and I'm not sure I like the LG skin on Android. It certainly is worse than Sense.

Here's a size comparison of the two phones side-by-side:

1150777174_HuENi-L.jpg

Finally, the most impressive phone of the show, in my opinion, and it isn't even available in the US (only in Korea, I was told?)... the LG Optimus 2x, which uses the Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor. I tried it out and it's FAST. The camera claims to shoot 1080p video, and I believe it in the tests I did. Easily the best camera on a phone I've ever experienced.

A wonderful feature of this phone is HDMI with full mirroring of the display. Will this feature make it to the US? It also does Divx VOD, which will allow folks to play their torrent files unconverted and display them on big screens via hdmi. Wow.

Here's a shot of the phone, followed by a size comparison with the Evo (the Optimus is slightly larger, but also slightly thinner and about the same in weight). It's just an LCD screen similar to the Evo in size and resolution, but a flame-thrower in brightness:

1150774925_oGXQe-L.jpg

1151747012_VzGJ3-L.jpg

OK, so I wasn't impressed with the HTC Thunderbolt until I found another booth that had one running full LTE and had Quadrant installed. First, the LTE feels almost like wifi on my Evo and had a solid signal. Some say that Verizon has boosted the signal of LTE in the hall which had something to do with that.

But then I decided to run a Quadrant comparison with my Evo which is running the latest HTC kernel on a speedy custom ROM. Here's the result (Evo on the left, obviously smoked by the Thunderbolt):

1150778204_MwFMy-L.jpg

I ran Quadrant on the Optimus 2x, and surprisingly, it was running about the same speed as my current Evo... though the phone isn't in final form and didn't give me a screen showing the final Quadrant score (almost like it was being blocked from displaying the end or something).

In addition, today, LG added yet another newly announced phone in the Evo size, called the Optimus Black. This one has a 5mp rear camera and a 2mp front facing camera. It's significantly lighter than the Evo and thinner, too. Here's a shot of two of the Optimus Black cameras... impressive, bright, and quick:

1151750290_BJUAS-L.jpg

In conclusion, the Evo holds up pretty well with the new competition after all these months when it comes to feature comparisons, but underneath, there's some real horsepower coming. Can't wait to see what Sprint has to offer to replace the Evo when my year is up. If it's anything like the new LG Optimus 2x, we'll all be happy campers. And with some impressive offerings, we now see that LG is a MAJOR player in the premium cellphone game!

Last edited:

BKBitar

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Great comparison. The Thunderbolt looks great, as do the LG phones. I'm surprised that the Revolution is bigger than the Evo, i think my Evo is borderline too big as it is (didn't say too big). I really want a high quality camera on my phone, I can't wait until we get cameras that come close to whatever you're taking pictures with. Dammit android, with all these phones coming out, I always want a new one.

P.S. Why is sprint lagging in the phone race so much now? They went big in the beginning, and now seem to be losing steam. I feel like they have to announce another tablet phone fast (2 with keyboards, let's see another one without)

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
just keep the same evo body with stronger processor better camera that can shoot 1080p better gpu and better battery

i also like the surround side idea on the thunderbolt but its kind of ugly

i'm hoping for this.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is why I'm not worried about all those look-A-like phones. Sprint has the original and will continue to do so.... I can't wait for the EVO two to drop - Sprint say that they're are keeping a line of Evos.

JLG1985

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I love my EVO to death but if, and that's a BIG if, I was able to replace this baby when my contract expired Ifirst see what Sprint had in the EVO line - THEN look to other brands.

I originally was holdong out for the Dell Streak 5 but I gotta tell ya I love that Dell Streak 7! What would stop me...T-Mobile! I'd also stick with any Android device from HTC - that's a no brainer. I'm sick of Samsung and the **** they pull, I'm so sick of Verizon even more so since they're changing their retun policy to 14 measly days which equates to RIPOFF WARNINGS!

Most defective phones normally appear in the 1st - 30 days of use - so I guess that means whoever bought a device from them would be stuck with their refurbished bull**** after the initial 14 days. Nope, uh uh, NOT for me. If I'm paying what $2,000 or so over the length of the contract and it fails within the 1st 14 days I'd want a BRAND NEW replacement for my brand new bricked Verizon piece of **** phone!

I will NEVER, EVER buy anything from AT&T regardless of how great a device may be...EVER!

So I'd have no choice but wait for a dual core monster from Sprint. I just pray that Dell will snap out of their boring design failures and come up with something that'll blow the socks off of everybody with a device coming from Sprint. A 7" inch Dell Streak sounds huge but when you have Arthritis in your hands those bigger devices come in handy, I'm only 47 and I have to worry about **** like that! Then there is always that fact that once you've used an EVO with that GLORIOUS 4.3" screen who'd ever go back to a smaller screen/device. Not me that's for sure, call me spoiled!

After 5 years w/Cellular One (AT&T), 7 years stuck w/Verizon I don't plan on going anywhere soon unless Sprint totally screws something up, otherwise I'm with Sprint for life!

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
These phones were probably already in development when the evo came out. Most of them are htc products... so do the math. Unless if htc makes some duo core processor devices, then the evo is still a high end device. But at the rate android is going, then the evo will be old in about another year.

Sent From Tapatalk.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
These phones were probably already in development when the evo came out. Most of them are htc products... so do the math. Unless if htc makes some duo core processor devices, then the evo is still a high earn device. But at the rate android is going, then the evo will be old in about another year.

Sent From Tapatalk.
Even so... they are called wanna-be or look-A-like.

They are practically the same phones with different names and carriers.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Even so... they are called wanna-be or look-A-like.

They are practically the same phones with different names and carriers.

Exactly... some of them have a little more ram. Some a little more sd card space, super "amoled" screen (oh look rush, i got this cool new phone with a lot a pretty cool colors that drains my battery all day)...

Anyways, having an evo is a lot better than having a pre and they really need to stop doing all these $99 promotions for the evo. I paid $200+ for mine and im mad people are snagging it for below $150. I also dont want D i c k, Jane, Tracey, Dwight and Tony to have the same phone as me. I was in the same situation with the iphone. I ran to the pre on sprint but i become highly disappointed with build quality and Palms lack of ambition....

Sent From Tapatalk.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you have an Evolution don't worry. Do you really think Sprint doesn't have something big planned? Chill out.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
hey im curious about something....ive only had my evo for almost 3 weeks now.....but what exaclty do you use the HDMI for.....i mean what exactly do you guys use the HDMI port for.....do you transfer PICS to your tv use that port, or stream movie from your phone to your TV.....im just real curious what everyone uses it for.....i was gonna picks up a HDMI cable from amazon this week.......thanks fellas

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
hey im curious about something....ive only had my evo for almost 3 weeks now.....but what exaclty do you use the HDMI for.....i mean what exactly do you guys use the HDMI port for.....do you transfer PICS to your tv use that port, or stream movie from your phone to your TV.....im just real curious what everyone uses it for.....i was gonna picks up a HDMI cable from amazon this week.......thanks fellas

Basically to look at photos, videos, and games on your TV.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Absolutely nothing. Im not going to watch youtube off my phone on my HD tv...
Sent From Tapatalk.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I use it for watching video podcasts and ripped movies on my hotel TV (I make sure when registering that I'm getting a room with a nice TV). Don't even need to take a laptop on trips anymore.

Full mirroring would be cool, because apps like Sling have blocked HDMI output... no doubt Netflix will do the same when it releases. That's why I have my doubts that the full hdmi mirroring available in the Optimus 2x won't make it to the US. However, if it's available anywhere, it will be possible within a custom ROM for a rooted phone.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I use it for watching video podcasts and ripped movies on my hotel TV (I make sure when registering that I'm getting a room with a nice TV). Don't even need to take a laptop on trips anymore.

Full mirroring would be cool, because apps like Sling have blocked HDMI output... no doubt Netflix will do the same when it releases. That's why I have my doubts that the full hdmi mirroring available in the Optimus 2x won't make it to the US. However, if it's available anywhere, it will be possible within a custom ROM for a rooted phone.

Im sure xda will find a way to get around that.

Sent From Tapatalk.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm really hoping htc uses the next Evo to showcase the 3rd gen qualcomm dual cpu processor at MWC or CTIA. These htc phones at ces are only slight upgrades to the evo ala desire hd. Hopefully sprint will get htc's flagship to compete with tegra 2 and the other dual core options available this year from moto, samsung and lg.

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Something big is coming from sprint soon all we can do is wait. I love my Evo even after seeing the new phones at CES mad me love it even more cause they all are based off the Evo.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure we'll see something exciting to follow up the Evo. Sprint appears to love taking the lead with several "firsts." Couldn't get LG to budge on which carrier is getting the Optimus 2x, or if any will.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure we'll see something exciting to follow up the Evo. Sprint appears to love taking the lead with several "firsts." Couldn't get LG to budge on which carrier is getting the Optimus 2x, or if any will.

I agree. I love HTC but that LG 2x looks like a beast! Imagine if this comes out on Sprint with stock GB, it would sell toooooooons. I love the 4.3" screen but 4" would appeal to more people

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been an interesting CES, and as an Evo owner, I've handled all the new phones. Even have some picture comparisons with my Evo for those curious about size comparisons...

First, the Verizon Thunderbolt appears to be nearly the same phone as the Evo. The kickstand is there (with a speaker behind, which is strange to me) and a shiny bezel, which I'm not sure I like as much as the plain Evo surface.

Most importantly, no HDMI... which IMO is a huge loss. The Verizon folks talk about DLNA that will work with the dock, but I've been in my room at the Mirage watching video podcasts and ripped movies on the 42-inch monitor using only a cheap cable from my Evo.

Here's the size comparison of the two phones side-by-side. Note, I'm running Launcher Pro and have Myn's custom ROM installed on my Evo:

1150775887_2YuiU-L.jpg

Next is another impressive phone from LG, the Revolution, which I saw announced. It does have HDMI out, but not a total mirror of the screen, from what I'm told. Felt nice and snappy, but is a little larger. Didn't feel like it had the polish of the Thunderbolt, and I'm not sure I like the LG skin on Android. It certainly is worse than Sense.

Here's a size comparison of the two phones side-by-side:

1150777174_HuENi-L.jpg

Finally, the most impressive phone of the show, in my opinion, and it isn't even available in the US (only in Korea, I was told?)... the LG Optimus 2x, which uses the Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor. I tried it out and it's FAST. The camera claims to shoot 1080p video, and I believe it in the tests I did. Easily the best camera on a phone I've ever experienced.

A wonderful feature of this phone is HDMI with full mirroring of the display. Will this feature make it to the US? It also does Divx VOD, which will allow folks to play their torrent files unconverted and display them on big screens via hdmi. Wow.

Here's a shot of the phone (sorry that I forgot to do the size comparison with the Evo):

1150774925_oGXQe-L.jpg

OK, so I wasn't impressed with the HTC Thunderbolt until I found another booth that had one running full LTE and had Quadrant installed. First, the LTE feels almost like wifi on my Evo and had a solid signal. Some say that Verizon has boosted the signal of LTE in the hall which had something to do with that.

But then I decided to run a Quadrant comparison with my Evo which is running the latest HTC kernel on a speedy custom ROM. Here's the result (Evo on the left, obviously smoked by the Thunderbolt):

1150778204_MwFMy-L.jpg

In conclusion, the Evo holds up pretty well with the new competition after all these months when it comes to feature comparisons, but underneath, there's some real horsepower coming. Can't wait to see what Sprint has to offer to replace the Evo when my year is up. If it's anything like the new LG phone, we'll all be happy campers.

Well the Evo and Thunderbolt do not house the same Snapdragon. So this is why we are seeing a difference in benchmark. The Evo has the QSD8650 which is 65nm with the Adreno 200, while the Thunderbolt is the MSM8655 which is 45nm and has the Adreno 205 which is supposed to be double the GPU power of the 200. Not to mention having more RAM is a plus.