Google killing 2.3 update, skipping to 2.4. "Rumor"

Linkzo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
April is not that far away, I just hope it's true and we get the update then.... However, I'm still waiting on a patch to fix the SMS bug on Android 2.2, I already sent a text to my mother thinking it was my girlfriend and it wasn't pretty :S

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
April is not that far away, I just hope it's true and we get the update then.... However, I'm still waiting on a patch to fix the SMS bug on Android 2.2, I already sent a text to my mother thinking it was my girlfriend and it wasn't pretty :S

Lol

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I don't seem to suffer from that SMS bug. I thought that was a Nexus S only issue with 2.3? Then they updated to 2.3.1 and that patched it.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just root your phone.
Running Miui with INSANE battery life. The best I've ever seen on my phone... Ever.

Miui's rom is like... ridiculous. You wonder how your phone can do all that. I can run those gameloft games I used to not be able to run.
Doesn't have gingerbread... but whenever CM gets a somewhat official release, then Miui will update it since the ROM is based off of Cyanogenmod.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
REALLY. And bricking is even easier. Lol.

How many bricked devices have YOU seen? Ive seen 2, and both of them were from battery pulls during radio updates. If rooting wasnt safe, thousands of people wouldnt be doing it.

In what way? Sprint first dual-core phone. How's that horrible? Watching a video on one screen, while.playing another or browsing the web on the other... How awesome is that.
Pointless IMO, its going to be slow and laggy has hell with the same 1ghz processor that we have.

Bold.

As for android 2.4, it will probably be a small update, much like android 2.0->2.1
----

For anyone looking to root, read the link in my signature and head over to the roms/hacks section. We dont bite.

ALSO, most anything your worried about is purely rumor. It does NOT break insurance forever, you dont have to get rid of sense, it doesnt hurt your battery (it helps), and there are some insanely smart people behind the hacking/developing, not just some rag-tag hicks moving files.

Give it a shot, we are glad to help in the hacks forum. Come to the dark side ;)

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
DEFINITELY a rumor that is completely baseless.

Phone are already released with 2.3.1 (Nexus S) or will imminently be released with 2.3 (Galaxy S2).

The Nexus S should NEVER have been released with 2.3. As an OS it is buggy and unstable, and incomplete in many ways. Google rushed it out the door, which is why 2.4 is coming.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
2.3.2 that's running on a buddy's nexus s isn't buggy at all. People confuse apps that don't work as an os problem, the app just needs to be updated.
Also im running 2.3.2 on my evo and its rock solid.

What kinda buggyness do you mean?

Linkzo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't seem to suffer from that SMS bug. I thought that was a Nexus S only issue with 2.3? Then they updated to 2.3.1 and that patched it.

Frequently when I click on a SMS Message to read and reply I get a different contact person and message than intended. Sometimes I don't pay attention and end up texting the wrong person. I'm running Android 2.2

taadow1030

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Bold.

As for android 2.4, it will probably be a small update, much like android 2.0->2.1
----

For anyone looking to root, read the link in my signature and head over to the roms/hacks section. We dont bite.

ALSO, most anything your worried about is purely rumor. It does NOT break insurance forever, you dont have to get rid of sense, it doesnt hurt your battery (it helps), and there are some insanely smart people behind the hacking/developing, not just some rag-tag hicks moving files.

Give it a shot, we are glad to help in the hacks forum. Come to the dark side ;)

I guess what's holding me back from rooting is risk/reward. I want better battery life, but other than that, the stock evo is very fast and does all I want (at least that I know about). I web browse, read, play videos, listen to music... standard stuff. Not to thread hijack, but does rooting improve browser speeds? Yesterday, I read up on CM's website about one of the builds and it mentioned that GPS function may be impacted. I'll continue to research and see what hook finally reels me in.

Last edited: