"SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" What is going on?

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This morning I woke up to my phone giving me all sorts of trouble. I am rooted, running CM6, and the phone just kept rebooting itself, for no apparent reason. I booted into recovery, and restored my stock rom to see if that helped. The phone stopped rebooting, but now my SD card seems to be messed up. As soon as I reboot, everything is fine for a minute, then I get the message "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed". From this point, I cannot access the card, and have no option to mount the card from settings, it appears as if the card is no longer present.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? I'm stuck!

Thank you in advance.

rhettobis

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Same issue

I am having the same issue and its not the first time. Going to use a card reader to see if i can copy data off of it and then try to reformat it.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Any more on this? Just happened to me last night. Everything was working fine then all of the sudden it reset and got the "sd card unexpectedly removed" error. Have removed the card and reinserted several times. It says "preparing SD card" at first but then gives the "unexpected" message again.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue the other day. It would unkount whenever my phone would ring. And then i get weird messages about drm rights. I did some tinkering and found out the ringtone i had was corrupted now and i deleted it and now have not had that issue anymore.

It may not be a ringtone persay with your issues, but there could be a corrupted file on your sd card that the phone might be trying to access and this could be whats causing it. But not too sure elsewise.

Sent from my Inspiration

jprins68

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I was plagued by this issue a month or so ago, but I did use it as an excuse to order a bigger card. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I tried to put my SD Card in my wife's MyTouch and it seemed to fix whatever the issue was. I cannot say for sure what would have fixed, but it went from a several times a day occurrence to not seeing it again for the few days till the new card was delivered.

djfreeze

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

I had the same problem when I would take my SD card out and put it in my computer to copy files off of it. Basically what has happened is ur SD card crashed, and now u gotta hope that u can recover the files on it. I bought a program that can recover files the lost files, but its very time consuming.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
this seems to happen alot and to alot of people why cant we get a answer what is causing this???

I don't know for sure, but I have noticed with Windows VIsta and above it occasionally finds a "problem" with the removable media and asks if you want to have it scan and fix the problem.

I believe that the scan and fix causes problems for the Android system. I recommend coping the files to a folder on your computer and formating the card with the official SD card formatter.
SD Formatter 3.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association

gingerfire

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" Removed smdl2tmp1.asec to fix

I encountered this problem for the first time. Powering off and removing the SD card didn't help. What struck me as odd was that it seemed like (some?) applications on the SD card were still working, but I couldn't save to the SD card when I attempted to take a picture.

I removed the SD card and inserted it into my PC. I copied all the files and folders and did not get any message about corrupted files. I also ran a chkdsk /r and found no problems. I started looking over the files. I noticed that I had a couple of files in LOST.DIR which seemed to point to some data corruption. I kept looking for a culprit and noticed smdl2tmp1.asec in the '.android_secure' folder. I did some research and decided to try deleting it. Once I did, my SD card worked just fine in my phone.

Ufanur

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Googling forums we can see that "SD card unexpectedly removed" is a common problem for HTC smartphones.
I wrote about that to HTC support and got an answer: "Unfortunately we don't recommend for this devise cards higher than class 6"
I think, it is quite disgraceful :( for HTC, but this is an explanation and a way of solving the problem - to get class 6 card.

pervas20

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
HTC is fake mobile phone in the world... i bought HTC One V... I think i lost my money.. Same Problem SD Card Unexpectedly Removed...:mad:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine did that too...but then the phone died a violent death before I had a chance to fix it...or even try to fix it. It rebooted, and I had a weird startup screen, and no SD Card. Even if I'd formatted and reloaded the SD card, it would have wanted to format it upon insertion...It's crazy. I wonder if Sprint did something to rooted phones.

datfiyaboricua

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It has nothing to do with your phone being rooted. I'm not rooted and I get this notice 3 to 4 times a day. I have to restart to remount the SD card. I seen somebody say the phone only works well with class 6 SD cards. I for one am not downgrading my Class 10 card for a Class 6.

relented

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
It happened to my 2 times and I got it fix using my laptop or maybe the card reader of a computer will do.
1. First, insert the sd card on the card reader of the laptop or computer.
2. Copy all the files of the sd card to the laptop or computer.
3. While copying, there will be a time where it stop on copying files or the transfer rate become 0 kbps
4. Determine the file that it cannot copy, look at the window on copying, it displays the file name and location.
5. Delete that file on the sd card, it is corrupted, it is usually located on the .android_secure. Sometimes, you will force to physically eject the sd card because the windows may not respond.

You can now use your sd card again.
It works on my phone, I hope it works on yours.
God Bless...

relented

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
It happened to my 2 times and I got it fix using my laptop or maybe the card reader of a computer will do.
1. First, insert the sd card on the card reader of the laptop or computer.
2. Copy all the files of the sd card to the laptop or computer.
3. While copying, there will be a time where it stop on copying files or the transfer rate become 0 kbps
4. Determine the file that it cannot copy, look at the window on copying, it displays the file name and location.
5. Delete that file on the sd card, it is corrupted, it is usually located on the .android_secure. Sometimes, you will force to physically eject the sd card because the windows may not respond.

You can now use your sd card again.
It works on my phone, I hope it works on yours.
God Bless...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87