advice on tethering apps??

ksdroiduser

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello to all,

Was wondering if I couldn't get some feedback regarding using my Sprint Evo 4g for tethering to my laptops. I have not used my phone in this manner and was wondering what the best options were. I know Sprint offers this service for $30/mo. I know there are free options out there too. If anyone has any info to share I would greatly appreciate it. Also, here are a few questions I have:

1. root access to phone - is this difficult? can this create issues between me and my carrier? is this advised?

2. speed - can you connect multiple devices at 4g?

3. would free tethering options allow me to use my vpn access to my place of work? (I thought I read somewhere where free tethering apps are sometimes limited and this might be a problem).

Ryanbradley

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
1) Issues with carrier.... not much unless you "unroot".... Difficulty Level: Should be a breeze if you read the instructions C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y (But you can always do the easy one click Unrevoked) Advised? HELL YES!

2) Speed - IF you root you can connect multiple devices at 4G with Wireless Tether (free) vs Sprint Hotspot (30/month)

3) "Let another person answer this question since I don't really use VPN access when tethering"

Last edited:

siogeek

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you were going to do this for work on a regular basis I would suggest paying Sprint for their tether service. You should get all the same features as you would when using a rooted Evo and Wireless Tether, but you will not be violating your terms of service.

VPN should work over a tethered connection as long as Sprint isn't doing anything crazy like blocking ports and what type of VPN you are using. If you pay for their service you should be able to tell them how you connect to your VPN and they can tell you if will work or not.

An alternate solution might be to get a MiFi card. Then you won't be burning your phone battery down. It costs a little more / month but in my opinion it is a much better option for regular use.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You should get all the same features as you would when using a rooted Evo and Wireless Tether, but you will not be violating your terms of service.

I would say that's debatable. I don't remember signing papers that said I can only use the Sprint app for tethering.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could always go the expensive route and use Sprints Hotspot or you could root your phone which isn't very hard with the well written guides and how to's we have available here at Android Central and use an application called Wireless Tether.

I use the same application "Wireless Tether" on my Epic 4g "rooted" and it works great plus its FREE! Links right up to my laptop and gives me that freedom of being mobile with my laptop and not having to pay for another wifi service provider.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not debatable. Read it:

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

Specifically: Prohibited Network Uses -> Examples of prohibited data uses -> (vi)

Note it's the first (vi), since there are two of them...

Cool. Thanks for pointing to that. I had been looking for specific wording on that.

Guess I'm in the clear since I have 'phone as modem' on my account. Normal customers probably aren't as in the clear.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The other alternative is to use EasyTether, for which no root is required. You would need to tether with a wire, but for me that's a good thing, as it charges the phone at the same time.