All honesty

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Im currently and Epic user, rooted and ROMd.
Im elgible for an upgrade and if i dont use it by April 1st, i lose it.
So, im wondering if theres any people that have experience with both and
tell me what they prefer and why. I love the disply on the epic and not sure if the evo will compare. But im really tempted to get the evo. Everyone of my friends on sprint have the evo, but none have experience with the epic.

Please just dont bash the epic cuz you want too, let me know like how the ROMs are for the evo and any of the cool tweaks.

Is the Evo gonna be "old school" when the 3d come out?

i had the htc hero before the epic, and always kinda figured it was a "larger" version of the hero.
The worse thing i keep reading about is the screen breaking. I use my phone alot and do bike ride, longboard, and such. how easily does the screen break?

Thanks

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I would love to get the evo 3d, but Sprints new policy takes effect april 1st, and i lose my upgrade status. So i would sell my epic and epic/evo for evo 3d.

Or you can use the upgrade on the evo and if the evo 3d comes out within 30 days, take the evo back and get a evo 3d.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Epic and Evo and I really love the development for the Evo versus the Epic. I'm running the 2.2 Bonsai Rom for the Epic and it flies...but 2.3 CM7 on the Evo is amazing. Its a tough decision...if you are into Roms and switching it up I recommend the Evo just because of all the development for it.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you already have the upgrade you're not going to lose it. Only if you aren't yet eligible to upgrade by April 2nd will you not be able to upgrade. Thats what the Sprint dude told me when I called to confirm, because I know I'm being demoted to Silver.

mortonkd

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the Epic and took it back before my 30 days was up and switched to the Evo. My wife still has her epic and I mess with it every now and then. I miss the screen on it but everything else to me is better on the Evo. By the way, my wife is still waiting on that 2.2 release, lol!

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
If you already have the upgrade you're not going to lose it. Only if you aren't yet eligible to upgrade by April 2nd will you not be able to upgrade. Thats what the Sprint dude told me when I called to confirm, because I know I'm being demoted to Silver.

u know I was told that to but next person told me different, ive had 3 out of 4 sprint CS people tell me I will lose it, and have to start 22 months from my last upgrade which was Dec 09

Sent from my pretty dang fast Epic.

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the Epic and I have the EVO, She got her Epic before I got my EVO. I played around with her phone for 2 weeks, went to the store and played around with the EVO, the Epic dosen't compare to the EVO the EVO is a lot better phone. I don't see much of a difference in the screen if any at all. I still work on hers when she needs something done with it and the EVO is sooo much easier to use than her phone is. I haven't been around this forum for a while, I'm going to have to check out this new EVO 3D, I haven't heard of it.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
This is not what what sprint told me. I am eligible in June or July what ever the EVO's launch date was. I called both a corporate store and *2 then to accounts department. They said if I was eligible this year you still have one left. Its after you upgrade that it goes into effect.

seebee72

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat when it comes to the revoke upgrade.

I called and was told it would not be lost. The woman I takled with even said she ?put it in my notes?

But I did some more digging around and looked at the FAQ?s on sprint and interpreted it as it will be gone.

Take a look yourself. Sprint Premier Gold and Silver | FAQ

?Effective 4/1/11:
Sprint Premier Gold accounts will continue to receive the annual upgrade benefit based on maintaining a 3-month average of $89.99* for individual plans or $169.99 for shared plans, or for 10+ years service. Gold accounts will receive one annual upgrade per qualifying plan.

Sprint Premier Silver accounts:
If the line qualifying for an annual upgrade is 22 months from the last upgrade, there is no impact. The line would continue to be eligible for an upgrade under Sprint's New For You upgrade program, which allows eligible customers to upgrade every 22 months.

If the line qualifying for an annual upgrade is 12-21 months from the last upgrade, the upgrade must be used by March, 31, 2011. Otherwise, effective April 1, 2011, the upgrade eligibility on that line will be changed to 22 months.
If the line qualifying for an annual upgrade is less than 12 months from the last upgrade, their upgrade eligibility will be changed to 22 months.
To check your upgrade eligibility go to Sprint - Define Region.

*3-month average includes base rate plans only. Add-on services do not qualify. The average is figured per plan before any discounts are applied. Additional lines on shared plans or multiple plans on the same account do not count toward the minimum spending requirement.?

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
This is not what what sprint told me. I am eligible in June or July what ever the EVO's launch date was. I called both a corporate store and *2 then to accounts department. They said if I was eligible this year you still have one left. Its after you upgrade that it goes into effect.

id call like 3-4 more times, i literally was told a different answer each time. So i put all my answers together. what i came up with is......

I am currently at $69.99 "gold" status.
April 1st $69.99 will be "silver" status.
Since this would normally be my yearly upgrade time if i dont upgrade my phone now, or my plan to $89.99, I will lose "gold" status, and have to go back to my 22 month upgrade date

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I started with the Epic. It has a BEAUTIFUL screen and the camera kicks butt! I traded it in for the EVO and couldn't be happier. The EVO does everything better and faster. I don't miss the Epic one bit. Once you learn Swype, you'll look at the physical keyboard like an old Beta-Max tape.

I'd wait for the EVO 3d if I had the option. I ALMOST canceled my Sprint Account to wait for it but hated AT&T enough to just take the EVO. I can always just buy a EVO 3D when they come out. =)

tempest111

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The epic is really just better at gaming and screen quality. Everything else, i'd vote for the evo. The screen size, the community, the kickstand all beat the epic.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i will def get the evo, but keep it in the box and don't use it. then when the evo 3d is out, sell both phones. you should be able to get around 400 or more back. then use that money to buy the evo 3d. i am in the same boat as you, just got me another evo yesterday.