HTC People replacement options?

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all!

I just moved from an LG Optimus S to EVO. Very happy with the Evo, with the exception of all the HTC Stuff, like the HTC People for contacts. The LG contacts was really well integrated with my google gmail contacts.

Is there a way to get the same kind of contact manager on my EVO? It there a contact manager that's better integrated than the HTC People one?

Better integrated means, contact groups are sync'ed no ALL, and doesn't add a bunch of note text to my contacts.

Thanks.

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
OK.... let's try it this way...

Is there a way to get the "Contacts" app off the LG Optimus and put it on the EVO.

OR....

How do I ________ with HTC people.

1. Sync only relevant contacts?
2. Sort contacts by last name?
3. Hide rarely used contacts?

Is HTC trying to replace my Google experience with their own? Really? If that's what it comes down to, I am seriously thinking of returning the EVO and getting another LG phone. 4G and processor speed and all are great.... but not if I can't get the info I need when I need it.

There must be something I am not seeing, or doing correctly.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
OK.... let's try it this way...

Is there a way to get the "Contacts" app off the LG Optimus and put it on the EVO.

OR....

How do I ________ with HTC people.

1. Sync only relevant contacts?
2. Sort contacts by last name?
3. Hide rarely used contacts?

Is HTC trying to replace my Google experience with their own? Really? If that's what it comes down to, I am seriously thinking of returning the EVO and getting another LG phone. 4G and processor speed and all are great.... but not if I can't get the info I need when I need it.

There must be something I am not seeing, or doing correctly.

I am unfamiliar with the LG Optimus contacts app, but I can answer some about the HTC people app.

1. Not completely sure what you mean by "relevant" contacts. Contacts with a phone #? Exclude Facebook contacts? For those two, yes it can. From the contacts app, select menu then you should have options for hiding contacts w/o a phone # and only showing Google contacts.

2. I believe you can sort by last name. Just dig around in the settings for the app. I would verify this myself, but I have just switched over to the CM7 ROM and don't have any HTC apps on my EVO.

3. I'm pretty sure you can't hide rarely used contacts, but you might find convenience in setting up your regularly used contacts as Favorites to allow for quicker selection.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I broke down and restored my Sense based ROM with the People app.

If you are in the People app, you can use Menu > View to get rid of Facebook and other groups.

As for the other questions, I guess I took it for granted that it could do it. You may be able to install the stock contacts app and use that instead. I am attaching the files below.

(These were extracted from the CM6.1.2 ROM)

Reactions: jaileer

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank You! That is exactly what I am looking for....

However, how do I get those on my phone?

Are you suggesting that I should be thinking about installing something like CM7? I have not done anything like rooting before, but am interested in getting all the junk off the phone.

This might help explain things. I really like google, gmail, I am not too happy with the Sense integration with Google, since it seems to "include" gmail & contacts along with exchange and imap and...

Thanks again!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank You! That is exactly what I am looking for....

However, how do I get those on my phone?
Originally I was intending that you could download and install the ASOP contacts apps directly. I gave this a try and I'm sorry to say that it didn't work.

Are you suggesting that I should be thinking about installing something like CM7? I have not done anything like rooting before, but am interested in getting all the junk off the phone.
I do have a rooted phone, but I don't suggest that it is for everybody. There was a good article written by one of the mods here (gbhill) about when you should or shouldn't consider rooting.
http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

Back to your immediate question at hand. I found an app on the market that you can use to replace your contacts and dialer that does seem to have a much nicer way to handle contacts and groups.

GO Contact on the Android Market.

Reactions: UBDg and jaileer

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
To root or not to root....

To ROOT!

You have helped to convince me of something that I already thought I should do. I looked at sideloading, can not make it work with the HTC lock down, I suppose.

Leaves me looking into CM7 or earlier. I am running 2.2

Any recommendations?

Thanks again for your help.

oesjmr

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an Optimus S, so I'm familiar with what it sounds like you're going for. The Optimus is pretty much stock Android, except for that Sprint ID thing. Anyway, I think CM7 will probably be a good fit for you. Of course that means you'll have to root. I did so by using UnrEVOked...it was a pretty simple process. I then used Titanium Backup from the market to backup my apps and data, then I downloaded ROM Manager (also from the market) to download and install CM7. Make sure to download GAPPS and to wipe your data/cache when installing CM7. Everything went smoothly and I have since used this method on three other EVOs.

UnrEVOked:
public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]

Titanium Backup:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result

ROM Manager:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&feature=search_result

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I like what Sense offers, so I may try AOSP ROMs like CM6.1.2 (previous stable) and CM7 (current stable) but I usually come back to Sense in the form of Calkulin's EVio 2 ROM. I would suggest finding the web pages for the ROMs that you are considering because they usually have screenshots and information on the ROM and its capabilities.

I tried CM7 and liked it, it was fast and clean and kept the functionality of the phone (4G, front camera). I also used Full HDMI and was able to get HDMI output to my TV with sound. Although, even with the recommended Kernel for Full HDMI, it was still a bit choppy playing videos through HDMI.

Did you try out that app that I linked to in my previous post or have you decided to root and be done with Sense?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an Optimus S, so I'm familiar with what it sounds like you're going for. The Optimus is pretty much stock Android, except for that Sprint ID thing. Anyway, I think CM7 will probably be a good fit for you. Of course that means you'll have to root. I did so by using UnrEVOked...it was a pretty simple process. I then used Titanium Backup from the market to backup my apps and data, then I downloaded ROM Manager (also from the market) to download and install CM7. Make sure to download GAPPS and to wipe your data/cache when installing CM7. Everything went smoothly and I have since used this method on three other EVOs.

I know that using Unrevoked is a popular way to root the EVO, but if the OP is comfortable with computers and working with the command prompt and some Linux shell commands, I would recommend reading the rooting guide written by thefredelement (it's a sticky in the rooting section of the EVO forum) and going that route.

The benefit of doing a step by step rooting is that if you run into a problem at one of the steps, there is usually a way out or at least a way to get back to a stock setup. Because Unrevoked is automated, if it fails, you have to try to figure out at what step it failed to try to recover it.

ChaosMarine03

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I rooted by pushing files with adb with no issues. Just follow directions perfectly. I then tried a couple of sense based roms. While they were better than stock, they were not for me. Currently running CM7 and its the best one I have used to date. Very customizable and screaming fast.

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried CM7 and liked it, it was fast and clean and kept the functionality of the phone (4G, front camera). I also used Full HDMI and was able to get HDMI output to my TV with sound. Although, even with the recommended Kernel for Full HDMI, it was still a bit choppy playing videos through HDMI.

Did you try out that app that I linked to in my previous post or have you decided to root and be done with Sense?

Yup, and then stated looking into things.... Front camera and HDMI outputs are not big issues for me. I am looking for a clean fast interface that I can blast through for the things I need, skipping all the extra steps that come with a UI like sense.

I use my phone for communications mostly: phone, email, texting, web brwsing. All the extras are nice when traveling, but I rarely use them otherwise.

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been doing a lot of digging and reading the last couple of days. Have pretty much settled on CM7.

To clarify, I am basing my decision on a couple of things. First, it seems that pretty much all here helping are very familiar with CM7, others are hit and miss. In short, a larger pool for help.

Second, I am looking to get rid of a bunch of bloat (IMO)... as such, running CM7 and GAPPS fills most of the needs right off. I an interface that I can both capable and comfortable with.

Lastly, since this is a brand new phone, with VERY little personal data and apps transfer over yet, now would seem like the best possible time to start. Without having to worry about the success of data backups or data loss.

So, is my reasoning sound?

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
yup sounds like cm7 is what you want.

I personally like the way sense is so im running myns warm two point two. its not as fast as cm7 but almost.

One thing to be aware is when you go to root drivers play a big part of it. I had the hardest time doing it the right way because of drivers and the phone not being recognized etc. I finally got unrevoked to work for me....after i found the correct drivers to use with it.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been doing a lot of digging and reading the last couple of days. Have pretty much settled on CM7.

To clarify, I am basing my decision on a couple of things. First, it seems that pretty much all here helping are very familiar with CM7, others are hit and miss. In short, a larger pool for help.

Second, I am looking to get rid of a bunch of bloat (IMO)... as such, running CM7 and GAPPS fills most of the needs right off. I an interface that I can both capable and comfortable with.

Lastly, since this is a brand new phone, with VERY little personal data and apps transfer over yet, now would seem like the best possible time to start. Without having to worry about the success of data backups or data loss.

So, is my reasoning sound?

It sounds like you will by happy with what CM7 has to offer. I didn't have any problems with drivers for my computer for the rooting process, but I have my laptop setup to boot into 32bit Windows XP when I need something that isn't too driver picky (64bit versions of Windows require signed drivers that can be trickier to come by).

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Mmmmm..... running Windows 7 , 64 bit.... worries?

Not necessarily, but just make sure you don't have any driver issues before you start the rooting process.

In the rooting procedure that is a sticky in the rooting section of the EVO forum, it links to the HTC general Android sync download:

Application - HTC Sync for all HTC Android Phones (NAM)

This is said to work with 64 bit versions of Windows as well, so you should be good to go.

Just follow this procedure and you will be rooted in no-time.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html

UBDg

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well.... rooted CM7 installed.... almost by accident, well it seemed that easy. Completely thrilled with the results. This the phone I had hoped for.

My only issue I'm seeing at this point is Facebook seems to be having a little problem. I think that may work out with the next update from Facebook. I think the OS might have got ahead of the app in the case.

I can not thank all of you enough for the encouragement and assistance!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What kind of problem?

If the OP is having the same problem that I was having with Facebook after the latest update, it would Force Close if I tried to do anything with the app other than view the latest news feed.

If I went to the main screen and selected any of the other options, it would force close.

UBDg, I'm glad that the rooting went smooth for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non