Received Nasty Sprint Letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njt462

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I received a nasty letter in the mail from Sprint on Saturday stating that I have 30 days to stop my tethering of my phone or opt in for their wifi feature or purchase an aircard or hotspot on respective plan. If my downloads have not been brought down to a standard level within 30 days or if I choose not to sign up for one of those services I will be disconnected and ETF will apply.

They stated based on my past few months of service they have looked through that it is clear based on the amount downloaded that I have been tethering that no device can download 3GB worth of information in a month.

So what I am posting here is has anyone else got these letters? And my biggest upset about this is I am PAYING 10 a month for "unlimited data" they added those fees onto smart phones to keep data unlimited. I hope this letter is a scam, because if not I smell another class action lawsuit coming on that unlimited data is not unlimited we call it unlimited but it must fall with in our "respectable" limits........ I CALL BS.

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Unlimited does not mean unrestrained. The pipeline supports only so much data transfer. People exceeding what is reasonably expected should be throttled or pay more. My satellite internet connection carries a 24 hr download limit; exceed it and I'm throttled to dial-up speeds. In general, throttling over-zealous downloaders is a good plan for everyone, except for those being throttled.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It must be more than 3GB.... Can you post the letter?

Netflix is saying an HD movie is 2GB. Are we all going to be getting these now?

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Unlimited data means through your phone, not tethering to another device. Every device hooked to th internet puts out it's IP address, so Sprint knows you are tethering to a computer through yoyr phone. If you don't have a PAM plan, air card, or the Hot Spot, you will eventually get caught.

I am surprized that people don't realize this before they get caught breaking Sprints rules concerning Phone as modem. Typically, the end user rules are printed in the back of the booklet that comes with the phone.....

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it is- You had the choice to sign up for Sprint...no one held a gun to your head. The extra $10 you pay if for access to the 4g network (regardless if it's avail. in your area)-not the unlimited data. I don't like that charge- but hey- I wanted to be with Sprint- so I accepted their terms-because that is what it is- their terms- not yours, mine, or anyone else's. I tether- and I don't pay for it. I understand that this is violation of Sprint's TOS. If I get caught- I would expect to get a letter like that as well. I do think they may be picking on you- because I can d-load more than 3G of info in a months time if I stream pandora all day and watch netflix...so it's possible- BUT the odds of someone doing that is not the norm (at least not on a everyday basis) So my advice- you are already on their radar. I'd cut back some.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If your not tethering then this letter is BS. There has been only one month since I've had my phone that I went under 3GB. If you've done nothing wrong, you should call Sprint and give them a piece of your mind. Sounds like they are targeting you, don't let them bully you into spending more money. Now granted if your are tethering, just stop doing it so much or pay the fee. Heck...look at the member here who used something like 52GB over 3G in one month. Though he does pay for tethering, there is still no need for them threaten to cancel your service.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The question still is are you tethering? Don't forget they can see what type of traffic is going through your device. Lets say they saw 3gb of streaming from Netflix. Until this past week this was impossible for your phone to do therefore they know you MUST be tethering.

I'm sure they aren't just looking at amount of data but also at type of it too.

Sorry, but if you are tethering you will either have to stop, pay up, or get cut off.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not impossible to use 3GB of data a month without tethering or hotspotting, so if they said that, then they are very much mistaken. You haven't answered whether you're tethering. Lets assume you aren't. Then you're fine. If you've been doing it, just stop then.

I often leave Pandora streaming on my EVO and attempt to watch full YouTube videos over 3G. So far this month I've used 675,426KB. Bottom line is..if you used close to or over 3GB of data with most of that being tethering, stop. They're asking you to, so just do it. If you absolutely need to use tethering on a constant basis whether at home or out somewhere on your laptop then you might as well start paying for it or just try to use your phone solely for those tasks. Carriers are starting to crack down on users who tether without paying.

Like others are saying, it's in the contract that you can't do it unless you're paying for that service.

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Reference this post and ask Sprint if they will stand behind a comment made by one of their employees Crystal Davis that they would allow 3rd party tethering. I bet you could fight them on this. I doubt she is a low level employee if she is an authorized sprint person speaking to a Tech Blog.

Sprint says it will allow PDAnet tethering on EVO 4G, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 'Froyo' update for Android | Technology Blog | dallasnews.com

She does not say it will be allowed. She says: "We want our customers to be able to get access to what they want and enjoy a true Web experience on their mobile device". That is a far cry from allowing tethering.

Since the op has not responded we still don't know what is going on. Perhaps he/ she did 3gb on data roaming and not just on the Sprint network. I still would like to see a copy of the letter.

kennyr

May 15, 2011
Visit site
That is some BS. I used in excess of 12 GB on 3G last month without tethering, no root access nothing questionable. I stream Pandora and DI Radio everyday day for at least a few hours and watch some Youtube and other vids. I live in a 4G market but the coverage is so spotty I never use it. I only get 4G when I'm at work, outside the building. No coverage at home.

I wonder if I am going to get a letter too...

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I received a nasty letter in the mail from Sprint on Saturday stating that I have 30 days to stop my tethering of my phone or opt in for their wifi feature or purchase an aircard or hotspot on respective plan. If my downloads have not been brought down to a standard level within 30 days or if I choose not to sign up for one of those services I will be disconnected and ETF will apply.

They stated based on my past few months of service they have looked through that it is clear based on the amount downloaded that I have been tethering that no device can download 3GB worth of information in a month.

So what I am posting here is has anyone else got these letters? And my biggest upset about this is I am PAYING 10 a month for "unlimited data" they added those fees onto smart phones to keep data unlimited. I hope this letter is a scam, because if not I smell another class action lawsuit coming on that unlimited data is not unlimited we call it unlimited but it must fall with in our "respectable" limits........ I CALL BS.

I did 7GB last month. However, alot of it was tethering through a usb port(Easy Tether) to my laptop and computer.

I'am not rooted or use a mobile wifi hotspot connection.

And no I didn't get a letter.

So is there a difference between usb tether and wifi tether?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ya, something just doesn't sound right here??? 3GB is nothing. Like the poster above I can't really remember the last time I used under 3GB a month.

Plus the OP is very vague on information. Things just don't add up.

Sent From My Pocket Rocket!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.