Newbie: Don't know if my phone is rooted!

ebalogun417

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Evo since launch week, and have done all the OTA's and have never rooted until a month ago a friend told me that he could get me free wifi tether for a trip I was going on.

I was watching what he was doing, he said he used a "one button push for root called 'Unrevoked 3'. He said all it does is allows me to grant super user access to applications. My assumption is that means its rooted.

Anyway I want to do this update, but I have been reading on the forums not to do OTA if you are rooted. I don't know if Unrevoked was a temporary root, if I am permanently rooted, or what. He said everything will be the same that I am basically just able to use apps that require super user access.

I appreciate any help, I know some readers/posters view these threads as nuanced, but I need this phone until the 3D comes out at least!

Thanks in advance!

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Evo since launch week, and have done all the OTA's and have never rooted until a month ago a friend told me that he could get me free wifi tether for a trip I was going on.

I was watching what he was doing, he said he used a "one button push for root called 'Unrevoked 3'. He said all it does is allows me to grant super user access to applications. My assumption is that means its rooted.

Anyway I want to do this update, but I have been reading on the forums not to do OTA if you are rooted. I don't know if Unrevoked was a temporary root, if I am permanently rooted, or what. He said everything will be the same that I am basically just able to use apps that require super user access.

I appreciate any help, I know some readers/posters view these threads as nuanced, but I need this phone until the 3D comes out at least!

Thanks in advance!

check your app drawer. if you have something call SuperUser....you could be rooted. another way you can check is by downloading this app: Terminal Emulator after its downloaded, load it up and then type su then hit enter. if you get # in return then you are rooted, but if you get $ then you are not. it should look somewhat like this if your rooted:

Code:
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$su
#

hope that helps!

ebalogun417

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I also did the other option and SuperUser asked me if I wanted to give SuperUser permission to the Terminal Emulator app, I just pressed deny, and it says permission denied and the $ symbol

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I also did the other option and SuperUser asked me if I wanted to give SuperUser permission to the Terminal Emulator app, I just pressed deny, and it says permission denied and the $ symbol
Terminal needs root permissions in order to read all files, so it's ok to give it permission.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

o yea...i should've said to give it superuser permission...oops lol

it doesn't prohibit you to update but i wouldn't update since you are rooted. you will lose root and your free wifi tether. if you don't need the tether app then i guess you can update as long as you haven't froze/removed any bloatware.

Reactions: ebalogun417

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
you can use Terminal Emulator ( if its still in the marketplace ) but the way i do it is when im on bootloader i just check my S-on OR S-off.

Reactions: robb43

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress