Guide: Rooting Your Evo Design...The Saga Continues

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
before rebooting itself I just did the fastboot oem lock. Now, when trying again to redo all the steps the dd is not recognized as a system command. Also, I don't have a recovery, it seems. Am I screwed?

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I walked him through it on Gtalk. He is now back to stock Gingerbread and certainly not screwed, lol.

*Sent from work early bcuz some1 4got teh NSFW tag*

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I still cannot get the identifier token to work. I unplugged the bastard about 67 times. I'm also an IT manager so CMD stuff is not hard for me. I'm going to put my phone in a blender...

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Did you install the HTC drivers on your computer first? Could be the phone isn't being recognized for that reason. If you do have the drivers installed then try again and open device manager when it stalls. If there are any question marks at all you may need to uninstall and reinstall the HTC drivers.

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I am to the mount /sdcard step. I do not have the file "Mount", and cmd states its an unrecognizable commant. Is it a tool I need to DL with SDK?

Last edited:

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I am to the mount /sdcard step. I do not have the file "Mount", and cmd states its an unrecognizable commant. Is it a tool I need to DL with SDK?

No, it's just a command that mounts the sdcard to your computer so that adb and fastboot can access files on your sdcard.

Is the android sdk installed to C:\android or did you install it somewhere else? It doesn't really matter where as long as you point the command prompt to where it is installed; C:\programfiles\android\platform-tools for example.

The easy way to copy the location is to open the platform-tools folder of the sdk then click the address bar at the top and copy and paste that location into command prompt with cd in front of it. And, don't forget the space between cd and C:\wherever\platform-tools\is\located or it won't work.

Also, I sent you an invite over Gtalk. It'll be a little easier to help you if we can talk realtime while you're trying to downgrade. Accept my request and I'll walk you through it tonight after I get my son to sleep around 10pm central.

Last edited:

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have tried the mount command in my C:\android\platform-tools and my C:\android and I get the same result. What file am I needing in the folder to activate the mount?

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It's not a file. It's just a command that connects (or mounts) your computer to your phones sdcard.

In the platform-tools folder, do you see the files adb.exe and fastboot.exe?

Are these files located at C:\android\platform-tools?

Also, the spaces are important. There must be a space between "mount" and "/sdcard". If not, it won't be recognized as a proper command. In cmd prompt spaces and the case of the letters are important. If I remember correctly, in cmd prompt "unlock_code.bin" won't be recognized as the same file as "Unlock_code.bin" but I could be mistaken. The same with commands...Fastboot =/= fastboot, and so on.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have tried the mount command in my C:\android\platform-tools and my C:\android and I get the same result. What file am I needing in the folder to activate the mount?

You'll need to place recovery_signed.img and boot_signed.img in the platform-tools folder of the sdk on your computer, but they won't be written to the phone until after system.img which needs to saved to the sdcard. This is why you have to mount the sdcard...so that your computer can find system.img on your sdcard and write it to your phone.

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
All is as you describe. adb and fastboot, as well as the images are in the platform-tools folder. Do you think that because I'm on a 64 bit system this is not recognizing mount? I don't know why that would change anything. Also to clarify, CMD is case sensitive. The command, just so I know I'm not a moron , is "c:\android\platform-tools>mount /sdcard" yes?

Update, hitting /help lists all of the cmd commands and mount is not listed in the help list. Also some quick googling, mounting on a 64 bit system can be weird sometimes. Are you running on a 64 bit OS?

Last edited:

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
All is as you describe. adb and fastboot, as well as the images are in the platform-tools folder. Do you think that because I'm on a 64 bit system this is not recognizing mount? I don't know why that would change anything. Also to clarify, CMD is case sensitive. The command, just so I know I'm not a moron , is "c:\android\platform-tools>mount /sdcard" yes?

Update, hitting /help lists all of the cmd commands and mount is not listed in the help list. Also some quick googling, mounting on a 64 bit system can be weird sometimes. Are you running on a 64 bit OS?

Yes, I'm running 64bit Win7 Ultimate.

The commands are:

C:\android\platform-tools

Press enter. Then,

mount /sdcard

Press enter again.

If you're doing exactly that, then it's possible that the drivers for your phone aren't installed correctly on your computer. You need to uninstall and reinstall the HTC drivers and try again. After uninstalling, reboot your computer then reinstall the drivers.

Edit: Here's a link to the drivers in case you don't already have it saved on your computer. Uninstall any HTC related software and give it another shot.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Google Talk installed on your computer? It would be a lot easier to help you out over Gtalk while you're performing the downgrade.

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalled all HTC drivers. Shut down computer for about 5 minutes to clear cache. Booted and reinstalled. Same stuff. The command is not being recognized.

jaqkins

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have worked in software simple and driving a bit of underground wireless but this time I would like to support and learn about the development and compiled android system

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
There is no S-off method currently. I've seen a few pictures of this phone with S-off, but they were all for Chinese phones.

I heard that 2fast4u88 at 2fastroms.com was working on an S-off method when he bricked his phone about a week ago. That's about the only way you can truly brick these phones.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalled all HTC drivers. Shut down computer for about 5 minutes to clear cache. Booted and reinstalled. Same stuff. The command is not being recognized.

Hmm....let me ask someone and see what he thinks your issue is. I can't really tell where you're having the hang up if you're doing everything right.

Were you able to restore a backup so that you can still use your phone until we get this figured out?

santanalz

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes basically my phone is just rooted, and it works fine. Ironically it's a touch faster since rooting, probably from the apps being wiped. The irony of which is not lost on me...

Last edited: