Root Gingerbread

lancer1991#AC

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can't get Visionary or Z4root to temp root after the update. Visionary just sits at a black screen and Z4root just disappears, neither give me access at the "su" command prompt entry. Had to unroot the phone to get the update to install. MyBackup isn't restoring right unrooted, so was hoping maybe rooting would fix it.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Should have waited a couple more hours on the rooted ROM to be released.

I've seen other try and use Gingerbreak with no success. I'm afraid your going to have wait on the devs to find a new root exploit...which could be a while considering the size of the Shift dev community.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

lancer1991#AC

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, guess I was impatient. Lessons from trying to put the leaked GB ROM should have taught me to do multiple backups as to not lose data. Oh well, really the main reason I rooted was for full backup, like I could on my Blackberry. Only if Google would build it into the OS.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You could always use pdanet in meantime. My sister uses it with her non rooted Droid without any issues.

Yeah I have pdanet licenses for palmos, WM, blackberry and android but I use linux and only have a windows VM. I could hack and mod if I had time, but Id rather just have a mobile hotspot for my tablet and laptop since that only involves hacking the phone. Would be nice for pda net to have a linux client as that would solve most of my issues, but would leave me working some adhoc magic for the tablet that wouldnt make much sense. Wifi through the phone makes things so much easier for when Im out and about, which is most of my life, and the work I would have to do to get internet working on the tablet while on the go (and not near a hotspot) makes me think I might as well just use the thinkpad. :(

So Ill just wait until someone with more time then me finds the path to root for GB evo shifts.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well Im considering going back to froyo for wifi alone. While I love GB the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well Im considering going back to froyo for wifi alone. While I love GB the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives.

How are you going to roll back to froyo?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
LoL well then I may be screwed until they find root access for GB.

New word on the street is only new Shifts are preloaded with Gingerbread. Refurb replacements through insurance are not... So if you were to "accidently" break your device you get back on froyo. Not suggesting insurance fraud, just saying.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
New word on the street is only new Shifts are preloaded with Gingerbread. Refurb replacements through insurance are not... So if you were to "accidently" break your device you get back on froyo. Not suggesting insurance fraud, just saying.

Don't know about that... 9 put of 10 refurbished evo's are now shipping with the update. Just saying!!! :)

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about that... 9 put of 10 refurbished evo's are now shipping with the update. Just saying!!! :)

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

Yeah... I. Don't know for sure. That's just what a birddie told me. I wouldn't risk sending mine in.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I was just messing around. I would never intentionally fraud the insurance/sprint. Plus this evo shift ha been nothing but a dream to use for the past what? 7 months almost. I can wait out root for a stable and awesome phone.

Plus my wife has dropped it out of my lifted jeep onto the asphalt a few times as have I and it has yet to mess up. So its earned its life. :p

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Due to the 3d just coming out they will focus on that first and then the OG evo. If we are lucky we will get some love after the OG evo does. A nice rule of thumb is if OG evo users are waiting so will we.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well at least we know htc will start pushing updates to unlock bootloaders by September..

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well at least we know htc will start pushing updates to unlock bootloaders by September..

Normally Id say too late, but with the wife pregnant I think Im on this phone for the full 2 years or more. So i guess yay! :p

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo