Does the class of the memory matter?

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Looking to get a bigger memory card for my Shift. I have found some good prices but I notice they come in class 2, class 4, class 6 and even class 10 speeds. Is it worth the extra money for a faster card or is the greater speed wasted on the Shift?

keylow

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Good question. I am considering getting a bigger sd card for my shift. Will using a class 10 card make a noticeable difference over a class 4?

Compusmurf

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You'll notice a difference, but I believe it was "discovered" that the original Evo topped out at class 6.

If you can get a higher class card with a large size, that's what you want. Lexar has 32Gb Class 10 coming soon. :)

keylow

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You'll notice a difference, but I believe it was "discovered" that the original Evo topped out at class 6.

If you can get a higher class card with a large size, that's what you want. Lexar has 32Gb Class 10 coming soon. :)

Sounds nice. But how much it is gonna cost...$200?! 16gb for around $25 maybe the route I take.

Thanks for the in though :)

rodhnc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
official word from HTC on sdhc class/speed

when asking HTC tech support which 32GB microSDHC card I should get- "The Evo Shift should support any MicroSDHC card, including classes up to class 10. However, from what I've noticed there isn't a change from above class 6 with our phones, so it's probably not worth the extra cost to get a class 10 card. 6 is the highest that I was go, and from my experience class 4 works the best all around."

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I use a class 6 in my actual camera that shoots 10mp pictures and 720p video and I can take pictures very quickly one after the other and get no stuttering in my video. For these reasons I have chosen a class 6 card. The class of a card really only matters when writing to the card like taking pictures or recording video. What people seem to think it means is how fast the card can access the data. Just because a card has a higher class doesn't mean it's random access time is going to be faster. It just means you can write to the card faster. A class 10 card may not access data any faster than a class 4 or 6 card but it will write faster. What most people should be concerned about with accessing apps and things off the SD cards(playing emulated games from the SD card is a good example) is the random access speed which isn't identifiable by a simple class number. You have to actually look it up or find people who have benchmarked the card you want and my guess is that information is going to be hard to find from the manufacturer on the really cheap cards. The access speed also depends on how good of quality the card readers in the Evo Shift are.

I have had good luck with my camera's SD card so I bought the same Transcend 8GB card for my phone. It was $15 shipped from newegg.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't really matter. Not on phones.
as HMMMM said it's when writing to the card that speed is an issue.
I use faster memory cards in my cameras when shooting sports because it makes the buffer quicker to clear out, etc.

I have a class 2 16gb card in my DINC and not an issue at alll.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses to my original post. I found out that Radio Shack has the San Disk 16gb class 2 cards on sale this week only for just $34.99. I picked one up and it seems to be working great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38