touchstone mod for HTC EVO Shift

jjbrotherton

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have found threads on using the touchstone with the EVO but not the shift.
Has anyone performed the modification to make the touchstone work with the shift? I am looking for pictures on the connection points.

grandebob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I want to work on this in a couple of weeks when a friend who is better with a soldering iron then I am comes home for spring break. I will make sure to take lots of hi res pictures when we try it.

I've been stalking ebay for a broken unit to test taking apart, but have not had too much luck.

jjbrotherton

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I am currently a Palm Pre user via sprint and have made the realization that I have to move to a Droid phone. The only reason I have waited this long is the touchstone. I have 1 in each car, in my office and in my bag. I just love the technology.

I am torn between the HTC EVO and Shift. I must say I like the size and slide out keyboard better on the shift. I like the modification done by drinkwd40 (YouTube - 1-Use the Touchstone for the EPIC 4g or EVO 4g (or any phone) without voiding the warranty p1) using a powermat receiver door and USB cable

Powermat only makes a door for the EVO and not the shift.

I like the idea of using the micro USB cable that comes with the powermat and using the touchstone coil. Also the Powermat door has a little extra room for the inductive charging gear and no worries of voiding warranty or frying the phone.

I am wondering if there will be enough room for the touchstone coil in the factory door on the shift

RickNY

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Snoopdog,

I also jumped ship from the Pre on Sprint about 3 weeks ago.. After 3 weeks with the Shift, let me tell you this much -- dont let the physical keybaord be your binding decision. After using my Shift, I realized, Id probably be just fine with the Evo - as I rarely find the need to use the physical keyboard on the Shift.. SwiftKey, I have found so far - to be the best keyboard replacement -- although the stock HTC Sense keyboard is good too... Yeah -- I miss my Touchstones terribly - I had one on my desk one in the truck, and they were awesome for use as docking stations.. I'd love to see if something equivalent could be accomplished with the Shift.. If not, I might make an attempt at it myself for a mod.

Rick

grandebob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Not yet. Still stalking ebay for a cheap damaged one to practice on.

Not confident in my soldering skills to try it on my live phone :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress