[ROM-DEV-for-da-heck-of-it] Froyo SDK system image on Toast kernel

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
THIS IS NOT A DAILY ROM YET. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As posted by quietcblongs over at XDA:

First, this is a "can it be done" thing, so don't expect things to work. The only thing that works is:
3G data - like, you can use the browser app and surf the web

Nothing else works! No audio, so no phone calls or playing audio files, no camera, etc.
This is a play ROM!!! Don't expect fixes for a while, or until official source is released on android.git.kernel.org.

Also, its a little laggy/slow due to using software only OpenGL.

Again, play ROM only!
http://depositfiles.com/files/b1oox6pyt

EDIT: 2010-05-21 05:43 UTC
darch has an updated ROM that runs faster, so play with that one:
http://darchroms.pocketdevelopers.co...s/froyo-22.zip

Doubtful we'll get the mic working in this build, since the built config used forces a audio hardware "stub", and replacing the relevant libs did not do the trick. It was a good try, and the new launcher is neat, and the browser works well, but thats about it until Froyo source is released.

From XDA

Reminds me of the Donut for Hero days *wink Gbhil*...

Last edited:

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Also, over at XDA some devs started getting things working. To quote darchstar:

"alright, thanks toast, lets see how this plays out. so to continue quietcblongs brilliant work, my upload will have phone, sms, audio, maybe fix sdcard if toastcfh's suggestion works, and maybe sensors if it plys out nice"

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
AfaIk, people working with this over at XDA are in no particular order: quietcblongs, gu1dry, darchstar, zenulator and obelisk79. There might be a few more, but havent posted anything yet.

Last edited:

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Aaaaaaaaaand shut down. As mentioned by quietcblongs:

"The NexusOne Froyo update will not be helpful to us, because the Nexus has Qualcomm's QSD8K chips, and our Heroc has MSM7K. The QSD8K binaries will not run on the MSM7K. I tested /system/bin/run-as, and the one from the update does not work, but the one from the SDK system image does. We need some libs compiled for a MSM7K phone for our current audio/mic problem, and we can't use the ones from the Nexus ROM due to binary incompatibility.

We'll probably have to wait for the source drop before we'll have a more functional Froyo for Heroc, unless there is a 2.2 update for a MSM7K device before Google updates android.git.kernel.org (doubtful)."

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Lol, Im loving this. Darchstars words:

"tru, i've ported billions of roms from the dream and magic with 100% efficacy. not at all a hard task. i expect we can just as easily port a magic or dream rom running froyo 2.2 if they get the update before us, or if they get the update before its pushed to aosp"

Theres hope. The devs are working on this, even semi retired ones *wink*.

Last edited:

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Zenulator started his own port:

"Here is a quick and dirty froyo port from the Nexus One.

I put this up for people to test and provide fixes. Don't expect a fully working rom until the full source is dropped or 2.2 come out on a similar phone.

Main ROM:
Download:

Here is the first update:. It should fix opengl issues as well as add livewallpaperpicker, terminal, spareparts and devtools.
Download:

What works:
Data
Calls (can't speak to the other person)
New Launcher2
2.2 Google Apps (haven't tested them all)
Keypad/Trackball leds
Not working:
Audio/Mic
GPS
Wifi
Bluetooth
Maps force closes
Flash Player 10.1 from the market will crash the browser.
I'll provide fixes as they come.

Pro Tips:
None yet. Just thought it was funny. (btw the android tip app is called protips)

Credits go to:
toastcfh: for his kernel.
quietblongs/darchstar: for the sdk parts that got this running.
paul o'brian (modaco): for the rooted N1 FRF50 update.
Google: for making the damn thing"

And thnx guys.

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I know us geeks enjoyed the hell out of Froyo's features. I enjoyed even more the fact that as soon as the SDK got released, someone started porting it to our device. They say 2.2 can only be ran in new devices? I say give us source and well make our own, better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssiinnoojjandriod