just rooted....any suggestions?

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I finally gained the courage to root my phone (Sprint Hero) and i love it!!! i also installed ROM manager, ClockworkMod Recovery, and CM6. i am loving Froyo!!

but i was looking for some suggestions for some ROMs for me to flash onto my phone. like i said i am loving CM6 and Froyo on my Hero. i dont mind flashing a ROM that is Eclair (2.1) but nothing really lower than that.

also any other suggestions on what i can do with my rooted Hero??

o and as a side note.....i am having problems with ROM manager. i try to get and download a ROM directly from it but its only giving me "Extras", "Fresh", "DamageControl", and "CrunchySoft" which is what the free version gave me (i bought the premium version). the only lists i can see tho are Extras and CrunchySoft....the other 2 say "Error occurred while processing the ROM list!" did i do something wrong when installing ROM manager???

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
ROM manager only produces ROMs by developers that support the app. If it's not uploaded to the server then you won't be able to download it through the app.

No worries though, you can get good ROMs by the fine Dev's in this Forum.

XDA also has a large Heroc Community that is very active: Hero CDMA Android Development - xda-developers

Here are a few ROMs:
aosp Froyo build
MyTouchSlide Espresso Port, 2.1
nfinitefx45's Sprint based ROM

There are many more, visit the Heroc Development forum on XDA. Download the ROMs to your SD and flash through Clockwork Recovery. Remember to create a Nandroid backup before you start flashing away. It's best to be safe and have the ability to restore a backup then be sorry. Hope you enjoy :)

Reactions: bb_batman_dcx

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
thanks bro appreciate it

tried the aosp froyo build ROM....seemed too close to CM6 so i went back to CM6 lol

any suggestions on a HTC Sense ROM??

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
how's the memory (under Settings > Applications > Running Services) on your CM6/Froyo?

Here's my experience with rooting: I was running the Sprint .6 ROM (they've now released a .7 update, ugh) and had constant lag, clearly due to my phone running low on available memory. The phone would immediately drop to about 18 MB available memory on startup, then drop to 12 MB or even less after I used the phone for a day or two! So I installed Fresh Hero 2.4.0 and my memory probs only improved a tiny bit. The Fresh ROM is basically the same Sprint .6 ROM but without any Sprint apps, but I was still seeing the memory drop precipitously -- just not as quickly. So then I tried the 'AutoKiller' app (which requires root) and which adjusts the OS's innate memory management settings. So far it's working quite well (the initial 'Moderate' setting maintains about 30 MB available) though I lost my Mobile (Internet) service after a couple of days and I'm worried it might have been killed accidently. Time will tell?

Anyways, please let me know how Froyo is working for you!

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
i havent had any issues really....except it does freeze up on my from time to time (e.g. i try to back out of a program and the whole phone freezes up on me...i have to do a battery pull to fix it...only has happened twice since rooting which was about a week ago)

other than that i love Froyo!!

in Running Services it says:

Other: 58MB in 5 Avail: 8.0MB+72MB in 13

^^ is that good!? and can someone educate me on what this means lol

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The part about "Avail: 8.0 MB" doesn't sound good?! It really is sort of a black-art, though, memory mgmt on Android. I believe that's telling you that there is only 8 MB of memory which is totally unused and free for newly-opened apps to use. The 72 MB is -- I think... -- how much additional memory is 'in-use' but probably re-usable. The problem is that your phone will lag and stutter if it needs to re-use any memory. I mostly run MP3 and podcast apps and I can HEAR the phone lagging when I first open one of these apps, i.e., the audio playback will stutter.

So far AutoKiller is working well, keeping 25-30 MB of 'Avail' memory.