n00b -> need some advice and suggestions

gingercyde

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm not a total n00b at android devices, but I'm new to the rooting and ROM arena. I've been dual booting XUbuntu for about a year and a half now so I know some linux. I just got my very own Hero, my friend got her new Evo and kindly gave me her old phone.

That being said... I have rooted my Hero and installed CM6 and have RUU .5 saved and backed-up on my SD and my pc. I think so far I am safe and have done everything right seeing as how everything is working so far. My question is about the security and stuff I have come across in forums about user and pwd being plain text. How / What do I need to check out to make sure I'm covered correctly? Also, anything else I need to look for?

And as always, thanks to the community for all of your efforts, info and help. I am a huge admirer of LINUX, hence my choice for an android device. I hope one day to be a Chef and Dev'r to help the community go forward. At 30 yrs old, I know I'm getting a late start, but I've had my experience to point me in this direction and I hope it continues to guide me to something awesome.

Any suggestions (apps, help, otherwise) is greatly appreciated.

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest asking very specific questions on the XDA forums.

P.S. I think AutoKiller might be an essential app. it's not a task killer, instead it adjusts the OS to keep more 'Avail' memory. With faster phones/CPUs it might not be as important but on the Hero it's really noticeable when it needs to make more memory available.

Reactions: gingercyde

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm not a total n00b at android devices, but I'm new to the rooting and ROM arena. I've been dual booting XUbuntu for about a year and a half now so I know some linux. I just got my very own Hero, my friend got her new Evo and kindly gave me her old phone.

That being said... I have rooted my Hero and installed CM6 and have RUU .5 saved and backed-up on my SD and my pc. I think so far I am safe and have done everything right seeing as how everything is working so far. My question is about the security and stuff I have come across in forums about user and pwd being plain text. How / What do I need to check out to make sure I'm covered correctly? Also, anything else I need to look for?

And as always, thanks to the community for all of your efforts, info and help. I am a huge admirer of LINUX, hence my choice for an android device. I hope one day to be a Chef and Dev'r to help the community go forward. At 30 yrs old, I know I'm getting a late start, but I've had my experience to point me in this direction and I hope it continues to guide me to something awesome.

Any suggestions (apps, help, otherwise) is greatly appreciated.

Congrats welcome to the community.:D I have never really been to worried about security.Then for the fun of it i started using "Lookout"(in the market)it warns you if you are going to install a bogus app.The main thing is to read the warnings when downloading apps,they tell you what info they will have permission to.I will agree with the above post Autokiller not a task killer is a good app to use on roms that don't have memory management built in.
A sidenote to save you room on your sdcard and pc if you want you can delete the RUU I have all of them uploaded if you ever need it or any of the others just PM me and ill provide you with a link to download it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS