[ROM] CyanogenMod 7 for Hero CDMA :: V7.0.3 (6 May 2011)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Update: 5/6 - Version 7.0.3 was released last night. See the text below from the XDA thread to flash the ROM. If coming from a prior 7.x.x version you can just flash right over the existing ROM (backup before just in case) and no need to install the gapps file. If coming from a different ROM make sure to wipe/factory reset and format cache before installing.

Update:4/30 - This was posted on the front page, explains backup and restore for anyone wanting to understand it. It's a good read and worth the time. forum.androidcentral.com/incredible...back-up-what-restore-when-switching-roms.html

Update: 4/25 - Version 7.0.2 was released early this morning. You'll notice a bump to 7.0.2 as 7.0.1 was released late last night and had bugs. If you are currently using CM7 you should be able to flash right over the existing ROM. If coming from another ROM, then a full wipe is in order.
Update 3/15 - If anyone is interested in an alternative picture gallery, Quickpic (QuickPic - Android app on AppBrain) is a great alternative. The biggest issue with 3D Gallery is the rendering needed to view the pictures and often, the images take some time to load and the gallery becomes distorted when turned landscape. Follow the information posted on the XDA thread: [ROM] CyanogenMod 7 for Hero CDMA :: V7.0.0-RC4 (30 March 2011) - xda-developers

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

This version is a release candidate, but you will find it stable for everyday use.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:

First time flashing CyanogenMod 7 to the Hero CDMA, or coming from another ROM?
  1. Root the device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Instructions are available here.
  2. Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
  3. Format the system, data & cache partitions of your device.
  4. Perform a factory reset.
  5. Flash CyanogenMod.
  6. Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.
Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 7?
  1. Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
  2. Flash CyanogenMod (your Google Apps will be backed up & restored automatically).
Issues?

Experience issues? Please provide the following info:
  • If the device was hard reboot, please provide the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
  • If the device was soft reboot or is "bootlooping", please run a logcat and provide the full ourput.
  • Please use Pastebin when possible.

Download Links:
Latest version: update-cm-7.0.3-Heroc
Download: link
Mirror: link
MD5sum: 69a4fbd52fef795e48a6ae1707637bca
Google Apps addon:
Version: gapps-gb-20110307
The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

Thanks to CyanogenMod Team and the fine people over at XDA for all their hard work. Feel free to ask any questions regarding this ROM or how to install and we'll be more than glad to assist :)

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
One big improvement that I didn't realize until I read it over on XDA is that the Stock Camera App has been improved. In prior nightlies, maybe even the aosp build, the camera produced poor quality. It was corrected by using a third party app. But now the stock app is working fine and picture quality is where is needs to be :)

Frodo79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted my hero for the first time. And I wanted to thank everyone who posted clear how-to directions and links to the things needed. Now its time to play with CM7. :cool:

Frodo79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So far I like it a lot. For some some reason I still can't do live wallpapers. But thats no biggie. My phone is much faster. Its seems like CM7 takes up less space then stock. But I could be wrong. Still learning the in's and out's of andriod.

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
This is just amazing. I can finally say that my phone is fast. I can finally see 100mb of memory available. And ofcourse there are so many tricks and cool stuff.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So far I like it a lot. For some some reason I still can't do live wallpapers. But thats no biggie. My phone is much faster. Its seems like CM7 takes up less space then stock. But I could be wrong. Still learning the in's and out's of andriod.

The AOSP iterations do take up less space than stock. The system/ROM is basically stripped down and leaves more space to install apps on the phone.

This is just amazing. I can finally say that my phone is fast. I can finally see 100mb of memory available. And ofcourse there are so many tricks and cool stuff.

Glad you are enjoying the phone now :) The ROM comes with ADW Launcher as default. I upgraded to ADW EX, which is a paid version on the market, and has a few more features and seems to make the phone just a little more smoother. Could be a mental thing since I have not tested this.

I will try and keep the first post updated with official releases. If there are bug fixes posted on the XDA thread I'll try and track those too.

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
you posted RC2 and there is a new version, final one, which I used.... or I don't understand something...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There are two versions of the ROM. One by Cyanogen and team, the other by aosp.

Cyanogen released rc2 (release candidate 2), which is deemed stable for daily use. He releases nightlies that are experimental and may cause stability issues. If a ROM is stable then it could be a rc x version.

Aosp release updates more often that are geared towards improving his ROM and is updated more often. That's not to say one is better than the other because it's newer. It's up to the end user to decide what's best for them.

It's confusing with all the stuff to learn and understand.

Frodo79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The AOSP iterations do take up less space than stock. The system/ROM is basically stripped down and leaves more space to install apps on the phone.

Glad you are enjoying the phone now :) The ROM comes with ADW Launcher as default. I upgraded to ADW EX, which is a paid version on the market, and has a few more features and seems to make the phone just a little more smoother. Could be a mental thing since I have not tested this.

I will try and keep the first post updated with official releases. If there are bug fixes posted on the XDA thread I'll try and track those too.

What does the ADW launcher do?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What does the ADW launcher do?

It's a replacement to the stock launcher. For example, the stock Hero UI is Sense. It had all the widgets and UI differences that you no longer have. ADW is very basic, but offers tons of customizations, such as being able to change icons for different apps and the ability to re-size widgets while on the screen. Also, you can customize the on screen rows/columns that the apps appear on. Dig through the settings and see all the changes you can make. If you make too many changes you can always reset ADW Settings to start back from scratch.

what happened to Voicemail? I can't find it neither download it...

Sprint Visual Voicemail (VVM.apk) is an app that is for use on the Stock UI. It can be used on custom ROMs such as CM7 and aosp but a bit of tweaking is needed to get the voicemail app to work properly. There is a work around to install the app and get it working, you can find it here: Install Sprint Visual Voicemail - ROMRepo

It's a bit tedious but should work with CM7.

Im having the same problem. Still searching other forums for answers.

See above.

Google Voice is a good workaround to have voicemail. You will need to create an account and obtain a number, but you'll have access to your voicemail regardless of which ROM you are using since all you need is to download the app and follow the instructions to setup. Plus the added benefit of getting email and text alerts, included a transcribe of the voicemail. Just an FYI for people looking for a good voicemail alternative.

Reactions: Frodo79

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks srkmagnus. I started playing ADW last night, lots of fun. I will look into google voice. Thanks for your help.

Your very welcome :) There are other Launcher alternatives that are available in the market. Launcher Pro is another good one that you may want to try.

Last edited:

Frodo79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've been running CM7 for nearly a week now. And all I can say is that I can't beleive that I didn't root my Hero sooner. For my eveyday use its amazing. I try and learn/discover something new each day. Thank again to all who still make ROM's for the hero. And those who help with the rooting and flashing of ROM's. :D