Sound drops out on Android 2.1

bakerjs

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
First post. Please be nice.

I finally took the plunge and rooted my Sprint Hero a couple of days ago, and since then, I've tried three different ROMs: a) 2.1 leak; b) 2.1 leak w/ custom memory management; and c) Fresh ROM.

Unfortunately, I've had the same problem with all three: Unexpectedly and without warning, the sound on my phone will suddenly drop out. Sometimes this happens while I'm talking on the phone, and other times it happens when I'm listening to music. I have to reboot he phone to get the sound back, but a few minutes or a few hours later, I'll inevitably lose sound again.

Does anyone else have this problem? And, more important, does anyone know how I can fix it? One more tidbit: This never happened on my phone with 1.5 before rooting.

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
First post. Please be nice.

I finally took the plunge and rooted my Hero a couple of days ago, and since then, I've tried three different ROMs: a) 2.1 leak; b) 2.1 leak w/ custom memory management; and c) Fresh ROM.

Unfortunately, I've had the same problem with all three: Unexpectedly and without warning, the sound on my phone will suddenly drop out. Sometimes this happens while I'm talking on the phone, and other times it happens when I'm listening to music. I have to reboot he phone to get the sound back, but a few minutes or a few hours later, I'll inevitably lose sound again.

Does anyone else have this problem? And, more important, does anyone know how I can fix it? One more tidbit: This never happened on my phone with 1.5 before rooting.

Its a known problem with 2.1 some people have it sum don't. I don't think there is a 100% fix yet.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a kernel issue.

The fix is to use the kernel designed for the Eris if your phone is affected. Yes, this means there are hardware differences in some Heros. Some have their own chip for sound, some use the same model as the Eris.

Very easy fix, but you lose the ability to use the light sensor and the jogball light. I'm building a fix with another developer, as soon as it's properly tested there will be a patch available for users who have one of the ROM's here.

I have it in testing right now, I have to let the other fellow test it as well. If he says green light, I'll post it here.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I had that problem for the first time the other day, and I've been running 2.1 for an eternity. It seemed to be an isolated issue as I haven't had it since. For me, it seemed to have been something with using a bluetooth headset and how I ended the call. Not saying thats the SAME issue, just what i noticed.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I had that problem for the first time the other day, and I've been running 2.1 for an eternity. It seemed to be an isolated issue as I haven't had it since. For me, it seemed to have been something with using a bluetooth headset and how I ended the call. Not saying thats the SAME issue, just what i noticed.

Different issue, but infuriating none the less lol.

Sometimes you get the same thing after unplugging a wired headset too. I was hoping that got fixed in 2.1, but apparently not :mad:

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough I did have this problem with Fresh and DamageControl 2.0.5 but since I started using 2.0.6 and now on 2.0.7.2 I have not had any issues. I think Fresh has a patch out there. it's not hard to find posts about loss of audio over on the xda-developers forum.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for the helpful information. I ended up patching my phone with this:

[FIX] Audio Loss Final - xda-developers

However, the problem persists. Guess I'll wait for the official 2.1 upgrade from Sprint ... unless anyone has any other ideas.

Which patch did you use? AudioFixRC or AudioFixERIS ?

I was curious about tryin 'em both but not sure if either will screw up my phone.

bakerjs

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Which patch did you use? AudioFixRC or AudioFixERIS ?

I was curious about tryin 'em both but not sure if either will screw up my phone.

Update #2: The first time, I tried AudioFixERIS (thinking my phone was a candidate for this version), and no dice. However, a couple of days ago I tried AudioFixRC, and voila ... no problems since then. Looks like I'm all set now.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Update #2: The first time, I tried AudioFixERIS (thinking my phone was a candidate for this version), and no dice. However, a couple of days ago I tried AudioFixRC, and voila ... no problems since then. Looks like I'm all set now.

I ended up flashin the ERIS patch, and that resolved the audio issue. Yeah, no trackball light and auto brightness, but meh, no biggie :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87