Phantom Alarm Sounding on Pixel 6

randym

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
I’ve had my pixel 6 android phone for a couple of years. Very recently it has started sounding a strange alarm sound despite the fact that there are no alarms set in my clock AP. The time for the next alarm shows on my lock screen as would an alarm that I deliberately set in the Clock AP—an alarm clock icon and the alarm time show on line three in the upper left, below the date (line 1) and outside temperature (line 2). The alarm sound is only a few seconds long, and sounds like loud water trickling. If I set a deliberate alarm in the clock AP, the time for the deliberate alarm shows on the lock screen and the phantom alarm time does not show. (I don’t know if the phantom alarm would sound if a deliberate alarm is set.)

The times for the phantom alarm sounds have a strange pattern. Most recently, 10PM, 7AM, 9”30AM, 11:30AM, 1:30PM, and the next one currently showing is 6:30PM.

Any thoughts on what is causing this, and how to fix it, would be much appreciated.

randym

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
I mistakenly did an ordinary restart and phantom alarm time no longer shows on the lock screen. An earlier restart (after the 10:30PM alarm sounded last night) did not work. About a week ago I had a similar experience---problem went away after a couple of restarts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How long did it take for the phantom alarms to come back? If it doesn't take too long, Safe Mode may still be useful. If the alarms don't come back in Safe Mode, then you know it's due to some app you installed. If they do come back, then it's some odd system behavior.

randym

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
I think the phantom alarms came back after a bit more than a week, but I'm not sure. Thanks so much for your help. If it comes back, first thing I'll do is restart in safe mode. But given that a regular restart fixed things this time, I'm not sure what I'd learn if the safe mode restart works.

randym

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
For the record, the phantom alarm reappeared last night. It went away after doing a regular restart. I'm inclined to reset my pixel to factory settings and reinstall my Aps. If anyone has what might be a better idea, please share. (I don't like having an unpredictable noise maker next to me while I sleep.) Thanks.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a factory reset is unreasonable and would probably be my choice. However, I would hold off on installing any additional apps. Like @B. Diddy said, this will tell you where the problems lies. No additional apps installed and it happens, is either a Google app or weird phone glitch. No apps installed and it doesn't happen, it's a rogue app you had.

Good luck!

Reactions: B. Diddy