Yahoo Mail IMAP worked fine, now login failed.

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't change any settings and all of yesterday the Yahoo Mail using IMAP worked great on the HTC Hero. Now today, no matter what I try it says "Login Failed" and does not update. Anybody else getting this?

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I just deleted it and set it up manually as a Yahoo POP3 account. Annoying that it's not IMAP but the HTC Mail client doesn't seem to support IMAP IDLE so that advantage is gone and I don't really use folders too much. Works fine as POP3.Stupid f'ing Yahoo with their restrictions.

CUlaw78

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I had this happen to me today with my Yahoo account. I tried deleting it, then re-installed it, but nothing worked. Eventually I just reset the phone and it worked fine. I think it may be a bug.

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I've had this problem too and here's my solution and a few other observations as I was playing around with Yahoo imap/pop3 the past few days.

When my mobile internet has been off for several hours (I turn it off frequently to conserve battery power) imap/pop3 won't work. I haven't done a factory reset because I don't want to spend the time to restore my phone unless it's absolutely necessary, so I've found that simply leaving your phone connected to the mobile internet for say 10/15 minutes will allow imap to work. I've also noticed that you can't log in using imap via wifi that's why I keep specifying mobile internet.

Also if you put something in your trash folder in your imap account it will not be in your trash folder on your actual Yahoo account, only the trash folder in your imap account on your phone so make sure your that if you put something in your trash folder on your imap account on your phone and want to retrieve it you must do so on your phone.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about: You receive an email via yahoo imap on your phone from your job titled "Important", (messages go to your actual Yahoo account and then get "pushed" to your imap mailbox), if you delete it via imap it's gone forever (it doesn't wind up in your trash folder where you can retrieve it if you accidentally deleted it) and if you "mark it trash" it will only show up trash in imap on your phone not in your trash folder on your regular Yahoo account. So the point is this.

Yahoo via imap is great for reading messages but don't count on it to completely syncronize with your regular Yahoo account. I only remove Yahoo imap messages that I know I don't want such as spam and delete/remove the rest from my actual email that way if I delete something by accident I can retrieve it. But hey, LOOK ON THE BRIGHTSIDE! If you go to Yahoo and research imap/pop3 accounts they want to charge you and extra $20 a year and we are getting it for free with some minor quirks.

By the way, I read and re-read this several times to see if I thought it made sense and if you feel anything that I explained was confusing please feel free to ask for something to be explained further and I will do my best to clarify whatever it is you're asking for.

Last edited:

gbp

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Yahoo via imap is great for reading messages but don't count on it to completely syncronize with your regular Yahoo account. I only remove Yahoo imap messages that I know I don't want such as spam and delete/remove the rest from my actual email that way if I delete something by accident I can retrieve it. But hey, LOOK ON THE BRIGHTSIDE! If you go to Yahoo and research imap/pop3 accounts they want to charge you and extra $20 a year and we are getting it for free with some minor quirks.

By the way, I read and re-read this several times to see if I thought it made sense and if you feel anything that I explained was confusing please feel free to ask for something to be explained further and I will do my best to clarify whatever it is you're asking for.

Its confusing. I am trying to get either imap or pop yahoo using the HTC Client. And the thing fails to set up my account. I get the error message that server couldn't be reached or invalid user name and password.

I can see yahoo mobile on browser , which is nice and cool.
But I really want the client to do the pull so that I can see whether I got any new mails or not.

The whole thing is just a mess. What could have been a nice handset is a crap for me because of this missing yahoo.

If you can give the server address, port number and any special encryption (SSL/TSL) from your settings that would be great.

esoteric1311

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem until someone at sprintusers gave me an awesome solution. Seven. its not in the market yet but you can download from your phone at community.seven.com Hero is not a choice so download either G1 or Dream

You can sync any email there, and provides real push (i have yahoo and hotmail synced) you can set "sleep" times but it does not drain the battery. I love it!

On a side note, the problem is with yahoo. once they know you are connected mobile, they want you to upgrade and pay $20 a year to use pop3.

Hope this helps. You can try K-9 too, thats on the market, but i'm sticking with what works for me.

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Its confusing. I am trying to get either imap or pop yahoo using the HTC Client. And the thing fails to set up my account. I get the error message that server couldn't be reached or invalid user name and password.

I can see yahoo mobile on browser , which is nice and cool.
But I really want the client to do the pull so that I can see whether I got any new mails or not.

The whole thing is just a mess. What could have been a nice handset is a crap for me because of this missing yahoo.

If you can give the server address, port number and any special encryption (SSL/TSL) from your settings that would be great.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to get any of the information that you've requested.

This is what happened for me though. I was well aware that Yahoo charges for imap/pop3 and never even thought it would work when I went through setting it up on my Hero. Much to my surprise it did and I'm really not sure how or why. Then the next morning when I got up and turned my internet back on (turned it off when I went to bed) I noticed that I couldn't log on so I deleted my account and set it up all over again and still couldn't get on. I kept trying to log on and nothing happened. Finally, I figured I would just leave my phone connected to the internet for a while to see if it would automatically sync with Yahoo ( I have it set to sync every 15min). After say 15-20 min of just leaving my phone connected to the internet and not messing with it sure enough it synced and was working. I have noticed on a fairly regular basis that if my internet is off for a while and I try to sync via imap the instant I turn my internet on I get an error message but after a short amount of time, it syncs and I can log on. It only took that long for me to get it to work once, now I just have to give it a min or two occasionally.

Here's something interesting I noticed too. I sent myself an email via Yahoo imap to make sure it was in fact working correctly and when I was typing my message on the imap screen the bottom of my email said "This message was sent to you using my Htc Hero on the Sprint Now Network" so I'm wondering if it's something Sprint is trying to provide in conjunction with Yahoo. Or, maybe it's some weird fluke.

Last edited:

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
The signature (sent from my HTC....) is the default signature set by HTC/Sprint. You can change it in the settings for each email account.

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I've been getting the login problem off & on since i got my hero last week. It seems like it will happen to me if i turn the phone off at night, & when i power it on i get the login failed message. When it did it this morning, i turned airplane mode on & then turned airplane mode off & its been working fine all day. If anybody is having this problem, try that & see if it works. I'm curious to see the results.

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Crogs thanks for the info about changing the signature at the bottom.

Highwayman, I haven't tried what you've suggested yet but I do notice that it usually happens when my internet is turned off at night for several hours. I have just been letting my phone stay connected to the internet for a 15 or so minutes until I can log on (it usually logs on by itself) so I haven't tried the airplane mode suggestion yet but if I do I will let you know.

Last edited:

klynn

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I've been using my Yahoo mail account (IMAP I assume since I'm using the folders of my on-line account) on my iPod with no problem. Does it work differently on Android products?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang