Email Sync/Download frequency

hoopsdavis

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious to know what schedule everyone is using to sync/download email, and if you notice battery improvement with less frequent syncing.

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Which email app is this that does push?

The built in email client doesn't support IMAP IDLE which is what most people mean when they say "push". I can't confirm whether exchange push is supported because I don't use Exchange.

There is an app called "K-9 Email Beta" in the market which supports IMAP IDLE but it doesn't syncronize deletes between the phone and the server, and it is beta, so some wonkiness is to be expected. Additionally if you use K-9, you sacrifice the email widget.

-n8

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
The built in email client doesn't support IMAP IDLE which is what most people mean when they say "push". I can't confirm whether exchange push is supported because I don't use Exchange.

There is an app called "K-9 Email Beta" in the market which supports IMAP IDLE but it doesn't syncronize deletes between the phone and the server, and it is beta, so some wonkiness is to be expected. Additionally if you use K-9, you sacrifice the email widget.

-n8

ah, ok.

i was trying K-9 for a while and I like it. But it doesnt seem to support multiple accounts. will have to get the beta a try.

is IMAP IDLE going to be supported in a future release of Android? like 1.6?

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I can't say what the future of IDLE support is, but I am honestly shocked that it's not currently available. What year is this? :(

-n8