htc one

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Amazing all the people that knock apple saying things like this. So the only thing that's good about apple is their customer support! LOL

Pretty much. Don't really see what's so hard or funny to see about people not valuing things the same as you. Like I said before I've owned Apple products, I think I'm qualified to give my opinion on them if I want.

I've just moved from an iphone 4s (last week) to what has been touted by alot of reviewers as the best Android phone to date, a htc one. Now the phone is fantastic (apart from a possible battery issue) but I'm not won over with Android as yet. First problem I come across which is never mentioned anywhere is video sharing. File mb limits using WhatsApp, email, etc has made this near impossible to share an 11 second video recorded on the htc one. It can't be shared easy without uploading it somewhere and then sharing a link which is such a round the houses way of doing things. Compressing video on the fly ain't supported by Android. The path app (which I use alot) for Android disappointingly don't even have an option to choose video to share when it does on iPhone.

Battery drain.... You have to close/shutdown apps all the time to save battery drain. Turn off gps, turn off syncing etc to get a full day of your battery. I never had to do any of this on my iPhone.

Apps.... Every app I've compared on both devices runs smoother has more features and looks better optimised on iOS.
Notifications and ecosystem way better on ios

I've got nfc on this phone and I can't use it for anything useful in the UK! Another disappointment.

So I can't understand the slating on the apple front! They control the software and the hardware to ultimately give the user a better experience and that's part of the package.

Don't get me wrong before everyone starts shooting me down, there is alot I like about Android ie sharing options, customisation, widgets, live wallpapers, to choose quality of youtube videos over 3g etc etc. But there seems to be a trade off and it's normally battery or performance related.

After a week of having the HTC one I should be thinking yea I made the right move, obviously a better phone with an awesome screen. But functionality on a day to day I'm still unsure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

So you're an Apple fan. There's nothing wrong it, just like I'm not loling at you for not liking Android. What doesn't work well for you doesn't mean it won't work well for others. Just like what doesn't work well for me doesn't mean it won't for you. Me, I could never pay the price for a Mac when other companies offer the same at a much smaller price tag, or a lot more at or around the same price. I'll take function over talking points such as premium materials and aesthetics, I don't need them to go hand to hand. I don't buy products because of how they look, I buy them because of how well they'll enhance my life. iOS is stagnant, dull, and uninspired. It hasn't changed since it's inception and I'm willing to bet the trend continues and put a deposit on iOS 7 being the same exact way with a few extra whistles that are already on Android. So yes, the only thing Apple offers me that the others don't is convenient customer care. But then again, this is all my opinion.

I don't know about the One because I don't have one, but HTC phones typically do not have great battery lives when compared to other devices, at least with my limited experience with them. I was hoping the One would be different, but apparently according to you it isn't. Can't really say too much about the stability of iOS, it runs smoother than Android because it's a closed source, there's less tinkering that has to be involved. But let's not act like the differences are night and day. They aren't.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was a self proclaimed apple fanboy. iOS does many things well. Great hardware, timely updates, and no fragmentation of the eco system. I am currently using the Nexus 4. Android has came into it's own finally. The 4.0+ OS is finally on par with the smoothness of iOS. My main quarrel with iOS is it's lack of innovation. The company founded on thinking differently, doesn't anymore. The Nexus 4 finally won me over to android after many attempts. I have had nearly every "great" android handset since the HTC Hero and none have been able to hold my attention longer than iOS until the Nexus 4. My iPhone 5 has been sold and I now look forward to the HTC One. There are Pros and Cons to both OS's, but I truly believe the future of Android is now brighter than iOS. iOS 7 will have to be really great for me to think differently.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Comparing Apple prices is ridiculous. They overcharge for everything. Compare similar PC's, Laptops, and Tablets, you usually can get a better spec'd device for cheaper than what Apple charges. Charging $100 for every bump in memory for the iphone is ridiculous itself. Basically you are paying for design, but for me, I prefer function over form.

Anyway here I think the price for the dev One is not overpriced, on Sprints site they have the 32GB for $549 off contract, so $649 for a completely unlocked one is not terrible. But it is priced at the high end. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a phone no matter how good they say it is. But a steal, in my opinion no. The pricing of the Nexus 4 is a steal, but that is Google eating the difference. Kinda like the old razor scheme. Give them the razor, then we will make a killing selling the blades. In that case the Nexus 4 is the razor, and the search, and location data are the blades.

No its perfectly fine because iphones are priced comparable to all other highend phones. They are only adding 100 for each storage upgrade. 649 is a good deal for any high end phone with 64gb. Last year the galaxy s3 on Verizon was 649 for 32gb off contract. Look at the off contract price for any new high end device with at least 32gb and the price is at least 650 and that's the only point I'm making.

So I'm pretty comfortable with what I said.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dannyspeed

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much. Don't really see what's so hard or funny to see about people not valuing things the same as you. Like I said before I've owned Apple products, I think I'm qualified to give my opinion on them if I want.

All I'm saying is after owning these Apple products is the only good thing they offer is good customer support... My opinion is that nothing more than hating Apple for some reason and if I had to guess it's mostly because of price.

So you're an Apple fan. There's nothing wrong it, just like I'm not loling at you for not liking Android.

What doesn't work well for you doesn't mean it won't work well for others. Just like what doesn't work well for me doesn't mean it won't for you. Me, I could never pay the price for a Mac when other companies offer the same at a much smaller price tag, or a lot more at or around the same price. I'll take function over talking points such as premium materials and aesthetics, I don't need them to go hand to hand. I don't buy products because of how they look, I buy them because of how well they'll enhance my life.

You've never owned a mac but your opinion is your paying a premium for something that ain't as good but looks nice. What about a better operating system, ease of use, not having to wait 5 minutes to boot up, not having spend time money on antivirus software every year and still end up getting viruses. Spending an age finding files hidden all over the place. I've had windows based pcs/laptops for 10 years until I changed and I won't be going back anytime soon. Yes you can get more for your money very true. They ain't enhancing your life trust me, but that's just my opinion.

iOS is stagnant, dull, and uninspired. It hasn't changed since it's inception and I'm willing to bet the trend continues and put a deposit on iOS 7 being the same exact way with a few extra whistles that are already on Android. So yes, the only thing Apple offers me that the others don't is convenient customer care. But then again, this is all my opinion.

I agree it's stagnant and ios needs a revamp that's why I changed. I aint hating Android I'm just saying there's pros with the cons same with ios.

I don't know about the One because I don't have one, but HTC phones typically do not have great battery lives when compared to other devices, at least with my limited experience with them. I was hoping the One would be different, but apparently according to you it isn't. Can't really say too much about the stability of iOS, it runs smoother than Android because it's a closed source, there's less tinkering that has to be involved. But let's not act like the differences are night and day. They aren't.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think $649 for a 64gb unsubsidized phone is a bargain.

I test one Android phone a year (approximately) to see if I can get enticed away from iOS. I'm interested to see if the One can finally do this. I'd like a way to use an AirVideo-like app to stream video to my Apple TV. I've read that it can be done, so we'll see when I get the phone.

The One looks to be a beautiful phone. Now I need to get it into my hands for some real-world use. :)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
What's everyone's fascination with off contact full price phones? Unless your with tmo...

Sent from my Note 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You've never owned a mac but your opinion is your paying a premium for something that ain't as good but looks nice. What about a better operating system, ease of use, not having to wait 5 minutes to boot up, not having spend time money on antivirus software every year and still end up getting viruses. Spending an age finding files hidden all over the place. I've had windows based pcs/laptops for 10 years until I changed and I won't be going back anytime soon. Yes you can get more for your money very true. They ain't enhancing your life trust me, but that's just my opinion.

I feel like we're in agreement in everything but this. I've never owned a Mac before but at the very least I've used one. I'm not going to act like I'm an OS X expert with my very limited use of it, but for me the simplicity isn't a factor and doesn't the justify the price tag, when Windows isn't hard to use at all. I'm studying CIT so if I can use stuff like Linux, I had better be able to get an understanding of Windows and OS X. OS X being better is subjective, ease of use is not a problem at all (schools mostly use Windows computers so if a child can manage it's not a problem), my Windows 8 sleekbook loads up in seconds. I don't pay for virus protection, but when I did I never had an issue with viruses. And files are hidden for you protection but can easily be accessible if you read up on how to do it. I could see how this could be an inconvenience for some, but most users will never touch these type files. I was talking about iOS when saying about enhancing my experience, not OS X. And I meant the premium price tag mostly goes towards aesthetics because you could buy or build a PC with specs similar to any Apple computer at cheaper price.

But it's good we have choices in both computers and phones.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
What's everyone's fascination with off contact full price phones? Unless your with tmo...

Sent from my Note 2

I wondered this too. I thought it was because a lot of people were going to T-Mobile like me, *shrugs*

But I think a lot of it has to do with no one wanting to wait for the carrier to push out updates and would rather get it from HTC.

dannyspeed

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I feel like we're in agreement in everything but this. I've never owned a Mac before but at the very least I've used one. I'm not going to act like I'm an OS X expert with my very limited use of it, but for me the simplicity isn't a factor and doesn't the justify the price tag, when Windows isn't hard to use at all. I'm studying CIT so if I can use stuff like Linux, I had better be able to get an understanding of Windows and OS X. OS X being better is subjective, ease of use is not a problem at all (schools mostly use Windows computers so if a child can manage it's not a problem), my Windows 8 sleekbook loads up in seconds. I don't pay for virus protection, but when I did I never had an issue with viruses. And files are hidden for you protection but can easily be accessible if you read up on how to do it. I could see how this could be an inconvenience for some, but most users will never touch these type files. I was talking about iOS when saying about enhancing my experience, not OS X. And I meant the premium price tag mostly goes towards aesthetics because you could buy or build a PC with specs similar to any Apple computer at cheaper price.

But it's good we have choices in both computers and phones.

Fair comments

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Note 2

Mid contract and don't want to add two years to their plan...paying $649 now is always a better choice instead of the lock down two year agreement with a down. I'd rather have an unlocked phone then a carrier branded phone and it seems like others do as well.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Note 2

I'm a prepaid user now so full contract price for me. I was only responding to the comments earlier about how 649 is overpriced. I just pointed out that relatively speaking to other high end devices 649 is actually pretty good. Would we like cheaper? Of course but the price is bad for 64gb of storage. Also that the unlocked is 579 for 32gb. We would all be hard pressed to find a new high end device under 600 off contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa