Switched from iOS to Android, iMessage screwing things up.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I had to do for my wife's move from iOS to Android. First, I ensured her imessage was turned off prior to migrating, then I also went into her Apple account and deregistered her number, thus ensuring it was no longer associated with iMessage. That seemed to work for some iphones.
Unfortunately, if anyone has sent an iMessage from their phone to you, their phone is still registering it as imessage. Which sucks. So for each of those people (ugh!), I asked them to turn off iMessage on their device, go into their Messages app and delete out the conversation history with my wife (left swipe to bring up the delete button). Then I asked them to reboot their iPhone and once rebooted, go back into Settings and turn iMessages back on. This worked on every device that I asked someone to do it on, and they could then successfully text back and forth with my wife.
The other option is for them to go into Settings and there is an option now in iOS 7 to "Send as Text" when iMessage is unvailable. That will work, but I refused to have them change it, as it could eat up their text allocation without them knowing if it iMessage were to go down and they were not aware.

robbdmc

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be an issue with iOS7. Apparently it doesn't use the "send as text" option if imessage is not available.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/313377-group-text-issue-2.html#post3134277

Here's what I had to do for my wife's move from iOS to Android. First, I ensured her imessage was turned off prior to migrating, then I also went into her Apple account and deregistered her number, thus ensuring it was no longer associated with iMessage. That seemed to work for some iphones.
Unfortunately, if anyone has sent an iMessage from their phone to you, their phone is still registering it as imessage. Which sucks. So for each of those people (ugh!), I asked them to turn off iMessage on their device, go into their Messages app and delete out the conversation history with my wife (left swipe to bring up the delete button). Then I asked them to reboot their iPhone and once rebooted, go back into Settings and turn iMessages back on. This worked on every device that I asked someone to do it on, and they could then successfully text back and forth with my wife.
The other option is for them to go into Settings and there is an option now in iOS 7 to "Send as Text" when iMessage is unvailable. That will work, but I refused to have them change it, as it could eat up their text allocation without them knowing if it iMessage were to go down and they were not aware.

You guys are right... its a problem with ios7.... I cant decide if I want to change my cell number, tell my iphone contacts how to fix it, or switch to the the iphone 5s. Really quite the cluster.

mrsaxelrod

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
what if i turned in my iphone when i got my Moto X? i've also done all of the above steps- unregistered my phone, deleted all devices from my cloud account, turned off messaging on my macbook, turned off facetime, even tried that SMSgo app... nothing. went into an apple store last night and the two guys knew nothing of the issue and were a complete waste of time. i had a friend delete me from her contacts and then re-add me, which worked, but Apple is ridiculous if they think i'm supposed to do that with every one of my contacts with ios7. who knows if someone has an iphone, much less has already done the update to 7??

my last ditch effort is to try and switch my sim card temporarily into an iphone to finally disable the imessaging... not sure if that will do anything, however. any other suggestions? or apps that can accept imessages?

mrsaxelrod

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
yeah i have unfortunately already tried those options, too... i took my sim card and put it in an iphone5, turned off imessaging, then put the sim back in my phone. for people who have never texted me before, that seems to work. for people who HAVE texted me, they still need to "send message as SMS" for it to work. it appears that they only have to change that setting once, then it saves... but i'm sure that could change.

rruddell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
The issue is you should have turned off iMessage on your iPhone prior to wiping it.

Go here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4005864?start=0&tstart=0

Basically you're going to unregister your iPhone from Apple -- that should, in theory, turn off iMessage for you. After that, SMS messages should come through just fine.

iMessage is the ONLY thing I'm missing since switching... I'm augmenting it with Google Voice and Facebook Messenger.

I tried this and it does not work. My mom and my husband are having the same problem and not getting my iPhone texts. Very frustrating. Apple says they can't do anything. Any other suggestions? Thanks!