So I unlocked my bootloader...

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm now second guessing my decision...I don't mind running stock, I mainly decided to do it because I figured if AT&T did decide to not allow it, I'd kick myself for not doing it.

So now I'm running stock on an unlocked bootloader...and slowly realizing I've cut myself off from ota's and possibly voiding my warranty.

Please tell me Android ninjas that I've ultimately did the right thing...

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I got my unlock token but haven't unlocked as yet.

I think you don't need to worry about ota updates, as they will be available on xda. The warranty is a concern, but I understand they won't deny warranty for issues unrelated to unlocking.

I think unlock and root is going to be necessary for me eventually (on any device except nexus) but want to make sure things are working ok before doing so.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Good point. I'm still a little confused on installing superuser and doing all that.

I'm use to jailbreak iPhones, but this is a while new world for me.

Thankfully everyone has been pretty cool when asking stupid noob questions.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm now second guessing my decision...I don't mind running stock, I mainly decided to do it because I figured if AT&T did decide to not allow it, I'd kick myself for not doing it.

So now I'm running stock on an unlocked bootloader...and slowly realizing I've cut myself off from ota's and possibly voiding my warranty.

Please tell me Android ninjas that I've ultimately did the right thing...

You can go back to a locked bootloader. At the end on HTC site they provided the commands for reversal. Here's the thing when it comes to otas.... Most people that care about unlocking bootloaders and such dont typically care about otas because they'll flash a rom that is based on the latest ota or better. So you have to decide really if you want to be one of those users or not. I will say that once you get into flashing and stuff, it becomes a lot easier and then you'll be less concerned about otas.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sweet. I just need to flash my first ROM then I'll me ok

Yeah visit and check out the 2 thresds I started in the rooting section for htc one. Everyone has to start somewhere but once you get the hang of it, you're good to go. Good luck.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It's funny, I was just saying that everyone I've dealt with have been super friendly...

Don't need to name call. My phone isn't bricked, I'm not belly aching. Just expressing first time jitters.

Thanks for proving me wrong though.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but you're an *****. You shouldn't have messed with it if you didn't know what was exactly in store. You're like the kid who tried to disassemble his SNES the day after christmas to see how it works and then cries to daddy when he can't figure out how to put it back together.

Really that negative everyone starts out somewhere. Should he have unlocked his bootloader who knows the inky issue I see is a lack of research but all the apps lost can be added back and the bootloader can be re locked.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but you're an *****. You shouldn't have messed with it if you didn't know what was exactly in store. You're like the kid who tried to disassemble his SNES the day after christmas to see how it works and then cries to daddy when he can't figure out how to put it back together.

You really shouldn't post replies such as this. You really showed your backside.

Posted via Android Central App

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, I was just saying that everyone I've dealt with have been super friendly...

Don't need to name call. My phone isn't bricked, I'm not belly aching. Just expressing first time jitters.

Thanks for proving me wrong though.

Just ignore the negative stuff. Everyone starts somewhere and I know how you feel. Now it's just time to explore. My suggestion is to read everything and follow the threads related to anything you flashed. Devs are usually very responsive to issues so start an account on Xda and get to work lol. Good luck.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The next step is to flash a custom recovery. I've used both TWRP and Clockwork, I like twrp better, but both are great. Twrp will root and install superuser for you.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Come on now, if you don't have anything good or pleasant to add to the situation then please just move along.

Paul627g
Forums Moderator.