Quick Thoughts On Sense 5

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The UI for the S4, ie, TouchWiz and the factory apps feel like a scrapebook taped together mess. Take the Calendar app for example. It has no relationship to anything else on the phone looks-wise or functionality-wise, and its ugly. The Phone app is unbelievable ugly and clumsy to work with, and looks like nothing else on the phone. I could go on. HTC, on the other hand, has apps that all look like they belong on the same phone, made by the same people, function in a similar fashion, and look good.

I came from two generations of Nexus phones to the One. And, like the OP, I like the new Sense 5 as much, if not more, than Vanilla OS.

Samsung on the other hand, has some good ideas, like the quick settings in the notification shade. But they need to hire some people with some design taste. Yuck!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My problem with sense 5 is it seems at least a generation behind touchwiz. The menu bar intrudes into too many apps and makes game play difficult. Lack of settings toggles is mind blowing. No lock screen widgets. At least for now. Many little things add up to a boring and frustrating experience. Nova makes it better but frustrations remain.

Touch wiz is still stuck in the gingerbread design era.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Touch wiz is still stuck in the gingerbread design era.

This. The design language other than the camera app and the email app somewhat is atrocious. In spite of that the hardware and battery life keep me holding onto it.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Whatever lag the S4 had was cured by a quick update by Samsung.

Um.....no. Before I gave it to my daughter it updated and I did a full wipe (cache and all) through the boot loader. Yeah, most of the "lag" got better but it still stuttered like Gomer Pyle, especially after a few minutes of use.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Um.....no. Before I gave it to my daughter it updated and I did a full wipe (cache and all) through the boot loader. Yeah, most of the "lag" got better but it still stuttered like Gomer Pyle, especially after a few minutes of use.

I still have one and side by side, although the One is smoother, it's not a huge difference. The S4 can occasionally have a hiccup here and there, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be.

It's just Touchwiz. They need to optimize it better. If Sense 5 had half the features of Touchwiz, we would be saying the same thing about the One.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This. The design language other than the camera app and the email app somewhat is atrocious. In spite of that the hardware and battery life keep me holding onto it.

The battery life on my "one" destroys the battery life on my S4....and that's with everything turned off, and I mean everything. I would get 10-12 hours with minimal use...(most drain was caused by Bluetooth share using my Motorola command one). Without BT on, I could get 14 hours with inimal use. But with the One I'm getting 15-16 with moderate use.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on my "one" destroys the battery life on my S4....and that's with everything turned off, and I mean everything. I would get 10-12 hours with minimal use...(most drain was caused by Bluetooth share using my Motorola command one). Without BT on, I could get 14 hours with inimal use. But with the One I'm getting 15-16 with moderate use.

It's the complete opposite for me. I've had multiple units of both phones and the S4 consistently outperformed the One everytime.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I still have one and side by side, although the One is smoother, it's not a huge difference. The S4 can occasionally have a hiccup here and there, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be.

It's just Touchwiz. They need to optimize it better. If Sense 5 had half the features of Touchwiz, we would be saying the same thing about the One.

I too have both side by side. I gave the S4 to my daughter because well, the One to me is better in every "sense" of the word, plus, my daughter begged for it!! But the S4 stutters. It stutters a lot. Most of it is minimal and minute but it's there. I notice it. And that is all that matters. In fact, putting the S3 and S4 side by side, they stutter in almost the exact same places and times. So your right when you say it's not the phone....it's touchwiz.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's the complete opposite for me. I've had multiple units of both phones and the S4 consistently outperformed the One everytime.

Yeah some say battery life is awesome, but others say it sucks. I took it down to the Sprint store and talked to them about it and they put the battery on a machine to test it and they said it was fine. But, they did swap it out for another S4 because I complained too much! :) With the second S4, the results were the same. The only thing that made bat life useful was to change network settings to CDMA only. That helped some but to be honest, I shouldn't have too.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah some say battery life is awesome, but others say it sucks. I took it down to the Sprint store and talked to them about it and they put the battery on a machine to test it and they said it was fine. But, they did swap it out for another S4 because I complained too much! :) With the second S4, the results were the same. The only thing that made bat life useful was to change network settings to CDMA only. That helped some but to be honest, I shouldn't have too.

I think the fact that your are on sprint says a lot about your problems. I have both phones. Battery on the s4 is insane. Easily lasts a day and a half. The One is quite good but by bed time it's usually in the teens.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the fact that your are on sprint says a lot about your problems. I have both phones. Battery on the s4 is insane. Easily lasts a day and a half. The One is quite good but by bed time it's usually in the teens.

Most I ever got with the S4 was 16 hours. And that was with all of the software gimmicks turned off. The S4's battery life is nowhere near insane.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Most I ever got with the S4 was 16 hours. And that was with all of the software gimmicks turned off. The S4's battery life is nowhere near insane.

Like I said if you were on a decent network your battery mileage might be a lot better.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Tmobile is a decent network. So don't you dare try to pull that BS.

If you refer to my battery screens on the S4 forums, I've pulled some impressive times on it. I can't replicate the same times with either One I've had.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting about 15-16 with the one also while it is no stretch to get about 20 with my s4. Both get around 4-5 hours screen time.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Good read overall. I have a DNA right now and love it, but never really followed much of sense 5 cause frankly it isnt an option for Verizon at this time. Hopefully that changes soon with a DNA sequel with One styling of sorts. Either way, I find myself much more interested in Sense 5 the more I read. I need to try it out one of these days.