not happy - at all

workingguy

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I get it. I think

You bought something, you're not happy with your purchase, you're pissed and what to blow off some steam. No harm no foul

Many of us Are happy with android and specific phones that run android and we dial in our phones to the best of their abilities. Does any phone fill our needs 100%? I doubt it

I'm not about to sit and chastise someone for their their likes or dislikes. To the op, i hope you find a way to get what you need from your device.

Thanks. Hoping to take my Excel and DB stuff and make some apps - and possibly through Wi-Fi I can control and monitor some machinery. For now I am trying to set up automated quoting as attachments for email (happy fathers day). Lots of possibilities but first some frustration at unmet expectations.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
If you wanted a phone for productivity then why didn't you get a note 2? I'm not trying to push the note 2 but seems to me like it would be the better choice for someone that uses a lot of productivity apps because it's basically built for that. Your file explorer and office apps and all of that comes already in the phone. And the pen makes it easier to work on spreadsheets and such. I just think if I was in your shoes that's what I would have went with. I view phones like the Htc one as more of a media consumption phone like videos and music and such.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I think OP's goal in writing this post was to let people like him know about his experience. If you aren't using the phone the way he intends to use his or aren't coming from a Nokia Communicator, you're probably not going to relate. I don't know that there is any denying that the phone is designed for people that are something like "narcissistic children," though I might put it a little more delicately. I can understand that he may be annoyed having to customize every aspect of the phone to his needs; I'd imagine he'd rather have had more of a blank slate than a phone that was souped up for a high schooler.

That said, I hope he does put the time in and find the phone to be rather enjoyable once he finishes these growing pains getting it set up.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I think OP's goal in writing this post was to let people like him know about his experience. If you aren't using the phone the way he intends to use his or aren't coming from a Nokia Communicator, you're probably not going to relate. I don't know that there is any denying that the phone is designed for people that are something like "narcissistic children," though I might put it a little more delicately. I can understand that he may be annoyed having to customize every aspect of the phone to his needs; I'd imagine he'd rather have had more of a blank slate than a phone that was souped up for a high schooler.

That said, I hope he does put the time in and find the phone to be rather enjoyable once he finishes these growing pains getting it set up.

I have had a Nokia communicator. When they first came out actually, years ago. I know he started this thread to vent his frustrations about the One. I was just throwing that out there as an alternative that he may find more useful.

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok , so this phone does not meet your requirements. Have you considered the new Blackberry Q10 or Z10? from what I hear they are a little more work focused and less play (toy) focused

You didn't catch that part where I mention they didn't keep the Communicator line going? Sure make all the snarky comments you care to - and not directly answer the obvious shortcomings, the biggest shortcoming being that this is a toy for a narcissistic child and not a tool.

Antitryptic

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
A phone can be anything you want it to be. It can be a toy-- it can also actually be a smartphone, if you give it the chance. Try spending more time with the device. There is a big difference between your Nokia and an Android. You have to be the one to customize it and make it so that the phone will actually aid you rather than hinder you. That's basically the whole point of getting an Android phone: it's fun, entertaining, and you get to personalize it in a way that you could not with other devices. Give it time, tinker with it a little, and I'm sure you'll soon see the beauty of Android. If you don't, that's fine. Get another device and try it out. We are not trying to insinuate that you hate Android or that you should go back to Nokia or whatever. That's the complete opposite. We'd all be happy to help you with your device problems if you'd let us.

Last edited:

rober7o

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
You didn't catch that part where I mention they didn't keep the Communicator line going? Sure make all the snarky comments you care to - and not directly answer the obvious shortcomings, the biggest shortcoming being that this is a toy for a narcissistic child and not a tool.

I find your post and matching username quite laughable actually. I understand your frustrations but why post it? and why post here? you seem to have a problem with smartphones in general. Mr. workingguy's needs are clearly a minority so forgive the OEMs for not suiting your personal needs.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sharing one's experiences and thoughts -- whether they are positive or negative in your view -- isn't something that should be dismissed just because said experiences may fall in the minority. Current smartphones such as the S4 and One are designed to appeal to and meet the demands of a certain target market. There will always be people who, for one reason or another, lie partially (but significantly) outside of that market. I'm one of those people, and so I can understand where workingguy is coming from.

If you don't have an interest in his thoughts or the discussion of them that's perfectly fine, but if you choose to participate in threads like this please keep in mind what I said above.

On that same note, workingguy, seeing as you were able to vent your frustrations, let's keep the conversation geared towards what you can do now to gain functionality as opposed to focusing on any potential shortcomings. I think everyone will get more out of this thread that way. :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
And it appears you're not interested in learning how your phone actually works, and expect it should work the same as your old Nokia. Sorry, if you want a phone that works like a Nokia you're going to have to buy a Nokia. Just like if you want a phone that works like an iPhone you need to buy an iPhone.

If you're not willing to expend a little effort, then nothing new is every going to work for you. Maybe you can find a used Communicator on ebay. That should make you happy.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
On my Android phone I can view and edit my Autocad drawings while I'm on a job site. Do that on your Communicator.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

BrettAU

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If you weren't here to ask questions and get answers them I'm unsure as to why you came here. However, be that as it may good luck with whatever device you end up with. Maybe you'll find a device that you can figure out.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The weird part is the the phone actually handles everything he wants to do without anything extra.

He was just unwilling to learn how to do it. Tried one thing, didn't work, and because that ONE thing didn't work, the whole phone sucks.

If you would like help, ask for it

Posted via Android Central App

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm really not here to ask questions or get answers. As I stated I've had "smart" phones before they were called that. I'm considering writing an app to help with some of my tasks, and have been in computers since Unix days. But quite obviously the way the phone comes it is meant merely as a toy. If I wanted a "kid mode" I would go find it, instead of having to find something as basic as a file browser.

And with the screen having gone to black how am I to find the keypad? (I'm not asking). Power is another issue. I could run several apps all day on the Communicator and the battery would last minimum two days. This one drains out in less than a day. It must be common as I see many people plugging in their "smart" phones wherever they can. Its a toy.

If you didn't post to ask questions or get answers, then why did you post ? Your complaining about getting snarky responses but when your making obnoxious statements about how the HTC One is "merely a toy" on an HTC One user group, how can you be surprised when people don't agree with you ?

Feel free to vent about the demise of Nokia, but you'd be better off posting on a Nokia or Symbian user group....you may get more supportive responses. Regardless of where you post, your still clinging onto a phone line, and mobile os, that is dead. So, I wish you luck in finding a modern, mobile OS that will suit your needs

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Coming from having a Nokia Communicator over ten years ago (when flip phone owners laughed at my "brick) I am disappointed with the phone, and the Sprint service. This is a toy compared to the Communicator and nothing more. I need to use these for ACTUAL work and not to post whatever I'm eating or doing at the time. Here is an example.

A customer texted two photos of machinery I need to duplicate. You can look at the photos, but you can't zoom up on them in messaging. Why not? Why can't I zoom in until it pixilates? Could with my ten year old phone. So there is the option to save the file - but where is it saved? It doesn't come up in the Gallery app. (Instead useless facebook photos take over). I plug the phone into the PC so maybe I can look through files but that option, for whatever reason, is grayed out in the HTC sync manager. Well I didn't want to sync anything anyway - the memory is too small for something like this. I still have my Nokia phone browser in my drive browser, but no HTC one. Who really has the time to find apps that should come with a phone? And where, under "Google play" can you find serious productivity apps and not games and garbage? Google play? Really?

Then there's the old phone blank screen when you need to enter a companies automated phone system. "For sales press 3" - except there is no keypad on the screen. This is one of my biggest pet peeves on these types of phones.

I don't live for the phone, so I don't care to post every problem, glitch, crash, etc. I do wish Nokia would have kept the communicator series going. Now that was a tool and not a toy. :(

I am sorry to have to be the one to point this out, but as it would appear that you are in fact quite serious, you will get an equally serious answer. With the best will in the world, every specific issue you mention is absolutely down to ignorance on your part and not some inherent design flaw in modern technology. This is not meant to be another attack on you personally, merely a statement of fact. Ignorance is not just a lack of knowledge or understanding, it is a refusal to accept the facts and I am afraid that is where you are. Your attitude to the One seems to have been predetermined by your previous experiences with modern smart phones and no matter how good the implementation, you were always going to take issue with it.

Firstly, you must acknowledge that the phones of today are designed to a very different set of standards than they were 10 years ago, just about every single thing your phone is designed to do now is based around the internet whereas 10, or even 5 years ago for that matter, mobile internet was just not viable enough to be a useable technology. The seeds were there and growing fast, but for the man in the street, networks at the time just were not set up to carry data in any realistic volume.

Images in SMS messages? When I touch them they open up and I can zoom, save, share or do pretty much anything I want with them. If I save them they go into my gallery under 'All Downloads' and I can get to them at any time I wish. Ignorance of how the gallery works. The gallery app is designed to handle images, the SMS app is designed to handle messages, expecting one to do the other is ignorance.

You don't want to sync anything because the memory is too small? What were you planning on syncing that would eat up 25gb? Not sure if that one is ignorance or just bitterness.

No productivity apps on Google Play? Go to the apps page and swipe to the page to the left to view apps in categories like communications, business, finance and oh what's this one? Productivity. Ignorance.

Blank screen/no keypad? The screen is blank because the proximity sensor turns it off when it is pressed up against the side of your head to prevent accidental activation, and as has already been covered, the keypad is just a tap away. Ignorance.

Why didn't Nokia keep the Communicator going? Because it was not designed to meet the needs of the emerging internet technologies, it had been usurped, replaced, outmoded. In fact, everything that Nokia was doing at the time went the same way because they didn't think the technology would catch on, an error of judgement that nearly finished off the company for good. It was not until they partnered with Microsoft a few years ago to develop Windows phones that they came anywhere near to getting back into the market. Ignorance on their part and I am afraid,wishful thinking for a world that no longer exists on yours.

This reminds me of a joke. My smartphone now contains more processing power than NASA used throughout the entire Apollo missions. They used it to launch a man to the moon, I use it to launch virtual birds at evil piggies.

The fact is that the HTC One can do everything that your Nokia could do, plus countless other things, and do them better, faster and more reliably, believing otherwise is again, ignorance. Android is a very powerful platform but on its own it is nothing, just like Windows or osx, it is only what you make of it, nothing more, nothing less.

Welcome to 2013, its nice.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
It's called flaming... If someone is going to be disruptive and be hateful or mean to others or the population here then members are going to flame them...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't know the guy personally and I'm not taking sides or defending anyone but from where I'm sitting I don't see where he was mean or hateful without having received that treatment first. I think you guys get too attached to these phones and anybody on here that says something they don't like about them is quickly "flamed". But when they start a thread to say good things then it's all rainbows and puppy dogs. I really don't need or want a lesson on forum etiquette, so if anyone wants to give me one they can save it. I'm just saying when you flame or attack you're making yourself look bad. I just think some people need to think before they post. That's all I'm saying about it. Now, carry on with your flaming.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
This is a toy compared to the Communicator and nothing more. I need to use these for ACTUAL work and not to post whatever I'm eating or doing at the time. Here is an example.
I recommend you take the time to get to know your HTC and you are going to find out your Communicator is woefully lacking.

A customer texted two photos of machinery I need to duplicate. You can look at the photos, but you can't zoom up on them in messaging. Why not?
... So there is the option to save the file - but where is it saved? It doesn't come up in the Gallery app.
I don't have the HTC one but in my experience with Android your partly correct. You cannont zoom in in the sent text. I don't know why and I agree it's frustrating. But the easy work around is that you can download the file. Usually it's located in the Downloads (directory /sdcard0/Download). It shoud also show in the gallery, the one problem with Andorid is that it syncs all directories. Most of the time it syncs right away sometimes you have to wait. I don't know how HTC does it.

I recommend ES File Explorer. This is one of the best File Explorer out there not only can you navigate your local file system, but you can also navigate LANs, FTP sites, Cloud servcies, Bluetooth. Far more poweful than the Nokia ;)

Here comes even more power. Once you've located the files you can make modifications to the file with PS Touch, Snapseed, etc.. You can also print directly from your phone to your printer with Cloud services or HP Photo print. I've printed plenty of martial on my phone and directly printed it to my home printer.

You might say you don't need all that, the point is Grasshopper you can be more prodicutive with Android than with the Nokia ;).

I plug the phone into the PC
WRONG ANSWER! Time to FF a decade or two. You don't have to thether your phone to the PC anymore. Using an app like ES Explorer you can transfer files over the wifi or use apps liek File Expert that share folders on your android device so you can copy them down from your PC.
I use a combo of DropBox/DropSync that auto syncs files between my Android/Dropbox/PC. This way important files are automatically backedup and accessible via any android device or PC.

And where, under "Google play" can you find serious productivity apps and not games and garbage? Google play? Really?
There are tons. But what I recommend is you ask here, not for the best app, but explain what work activity you are trying to do. There are an amazing amount of apps out there that really work great.

I'll give you an example. I was very resistant to Evernote. Did think there was anything great about it. But once I started using it, it's indispensable. The tags, notes, OCR and search features it offers make life easy to retrieve essential information.

Google play? Really?
I suppose they could have called it "Google for the really hard working guy who has no time to play". Personally I'm indifferent to the name. I know a lot of folks hated the name change when Google went from "Android Market" to "Google Play". I thought it was a smart move.

Then there's the old phone blank screen when you need to enter a companies automated phone system. "For sales press 3" - except there is no keypad on the screen. This is one of my biggest pet peeves on these types of phones.
Blank screen? what are you trying to do press a keypad with the phone on your ear? Usally phones have sensors that turn off the screen when you are talking. This prevents the phone from activating some action when the phone is held to your face.
However that said it's easy enough to get to it. During a call pull the phone away from your face and wait a 1/2 sec. There is usually an Icon with a keypad. Press it and the keyboard will appear.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Folks really! I know he came off a bit strong but is there any reason to bash him so? He did list valid reasons as to what he found lacking, so instead of harassing him why not offer valid solutions?

=X=

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Evidently there's something to having an 'X' in your name that enables you to respond well in this thread. Both mcpricex and _X_ gave excellent responses to the OP. :)

You're guaranteed to make the (forum) natives restless when you A: indirectly insult them by saying the device they decided to pay for (and often love) is just a 'toy' and then follow up with B: have a laundry list of complaints that are almost ALL easily resolved, thus undermining your attempt to sound like Joe SeriousAdultUserAsOpposedToYouKidsAndYerToys.

If you just want to vent then we've all been there at one point or another, just don't insult the tastes of those who aren't venting. And, secondly, despite the occasionally chaotic and contentious nature of this forum you will get a surprising outpouring of truly helpful suggestions that could help tremendously, turning your rant into a rave, IF you make room for it to happen.

I'm just happy you didn't end by saying you're gonna switch to the S4, because hoo boy you would have heard the wardrums start pounding from miles and miles away....

;-)

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Sharing one's experiences and thoughts -- whether they are positive or negative in your view -- isn't something that should be dismissed just because said experiences may fall in the minority. Current smartphones such as the S4 and One are designed to appeal to and meet the demands of a certain target market. There will always be people who, for one reason or another, lie partially (but significantly) outside of that market. I'm one of those people, and so I can understand where workingguy is coming from.

If you don't have an interest in his thoughts or the discussion of them that's perfectly fine, but if you choose to participate in threads like this please keep in mind what I said above.

On that same note, workingguy, seeing as you were able to vent your frustrations, let's keep the conversation geared towards what you can do now to gain functionality as opposed to focusing on any potential shortcomings. I think everyone will get more out of this thread that way. :)

I think everyone needs to go back and read this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38