Help! Settings Menu Crash!

XpltvDeleted

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
This evening I have suffered what is the single most frustrating issue imaginable - I can't open the settings menu - it just keeps crashing.

It started today and the phone had been getting really hot and draining battery at twice the speed it normally does, so I wanted to check battery usage in settings, which is when i discovered the fault.

Whether I try to access it through the main icon or via the pull-down tray icon, it just flashed white as if it was opening a new window, then returned to the menu.

I figured it was a case of hard reset as, due to the fact settings was unavailable, I couldn't even check for a new software update. So anyway, I hard reset and the problem is still there.
What's weirder is for the first 40 minutes or so it crashed in the same way as before, now it pops up and says 'sorry this crashed, would you like to send an error report'.

So I did. the error report says 'report type: crash, package name 'com.android.settings'

Is there ANYTHING I can do? I'm out of ideas and I haven't seen ANYTHING relating to this online!

Thanks,

Chris

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This evening I have suffered what is the single most frustrating issue imaginable - I can't open the settings menu - it just keeps crashing.

It started today and the phone had been getting really hot and draining battery at twice the speed it normally does, so I wanted to check battery usage in settings, which is when i discovered the fault.

Whether I try to access it through the main icon or via the pull-down tray icon, it just flashed white as if it was opening a new window, then returned to the menu.

I figured it was a case of hard reset as, due to the fact settings was unavailable, I couldn't even check for a new software update. So anyway, I hard reset and the problem is still there.
What's weirder is for the first 40 minutes or so it crashed in the same way as before, now it pops up and says 'sorry this crashed, would you like to send an error report'.

So I did. the error report says 'report type: crash, package name 'com.android.settings'

Is there ANYTHING I can do? I'm out of ideas and I haven't seen ANYTHING relating to this online!

Thanks,

Chris

First thing is to get any valuable data off of it immediately.

I would then bring up the multi tasking window and close all apps in case it is one of them causing the error. You might end up having to wipe everything and start over. This is assuming you are stock.

If you are running a custom ROM, then
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/113909-com-android-settings-crash.html

XpltvDeleted

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - it's an entirely standard HTC one - I've made no changes

factory reset hasn't worked either HTC are having me send it into them to get fixed

painful

PoRco1x

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Did you get your phone off a carrier? If not it MAY be a fake phone. I just went through that recently :(

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't blame you, I'd be upset too. BUT, it is electronic and murphy's law states that anything and everything can go wrong at any given time. Things break. It happens. It happens to me. Just be glad it's under warranty and gonna get fixed.

Hope it works out for you!!

srunderwood

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem after kitkat upgrade on galaxy s3. have tried deleting non essential apps but can't do a hard reset, it just sticks at download screen for hours. Will probably trash phone and get nexus 5 but suggestions welcome.

ponolove30

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site

Thanks,

Chris

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis