Status
Not open for further replies.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I went into Best Buy today because I was thinking of "renting" a black One and I had cash in hand. The screen on the display model was indeed very nice. However, I noticed some things that stopped me. I noticed there were gaps where the metal and plastic pieces meet and the plastic buttons didn't look so great to me...in fact it looked bad to me. I also don't know why they said its all metal when it is not. The bottom piece is metal and the speaker grills are metal but the center piece and piece that holds the screen is plastic.

On the all black model it still looks really good though, if not a bit deceptive from the ads touting the "All metal HTC One.

Why not really make the body "all metal"? Anyways it'so a step in the right build-materials direction but they should just make the phone all metal and charge a little more for it if necessary...I thinks folks would pay it.

Why did I post this? To me this is deceptive and I was really disappointed today at Best Buy. I expected to see a phone with iPhone build quality or better. Am I the only one that noticed this? Is it irrelevant to everyone but me? This is an otherwise great phone and I may still give it a shot but Best Buy doesn't stock the 64GB model.

Last edited:

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
"The bottom piece is metal and the speaker grills are metal but the center piece and piece that holds the screen is plastic. "
What are you talking about? My phone has like no plastic on it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the black or silver? That middle piece IS plastic. If you have the silver this is clearly visible. If you have the black they've fooled you. :( Also, the frame around the screen is not metal...it's plastic. I just saw it. If you can bet the rest of your salary for the year that I'm wrong I'll go look again and have a conversation with the Best Buy tech that pointed this out to me.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with LindtChocolate. Do you have a picture if the " plastic" and gaps?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

If you have the silver model what is that off-white material sandwiched in-between the silver back and speaker grill pieces (its not metal so what is it) ? What is the black material surrounding the glass screen?

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the black or silver? That middle piece IS plastic. If you have the silver this is clearly visible. If you have the black they've fooled you. :( Also, the frame around the screen is not metal...it's plastic. I just saw it. If you can bet the rest of your salary for the year that I'm wrong I'll go look again and have a conversation with the Best Buy tech that pointed this out to me.

No the frame around the glass is not plastic it's metal the only people that are plastic or two slivers on the back of phone that houses the antenna you can find the video of the phone being made on YouTube. That shows it is a full metal phone and there's only two plastic strips on the phone that houses the antenna for the signal.

Posted via Android Central App

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you have the silver model what is that off-white material sandwiched in-between the silver back and speaker grill pieces (its not metal so what is it) ? What is the black material surrounding the glass screen?

I have a black one. I just pulled it out of my otterbox case to investigate further. I have no visible gaps at all. As for the bezel area around the phone it may be plastic as you've stated. I honestly can't tell. The volume rocker is definitely aluminum while the power button appears to be plastic. So I suppose you're right about a little bit of plastic. I still would like see pictures of the gaps you are talking about. The body is all aluminum.

If you have gripes about the phone get a plastic S4 or another to your liking...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay. So that off-white material running down the middle of the phone between the silver pieces is metal? Really? I have to go and look at that again.

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The center peice in the middle is some type of plastic I have the silver one

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
4ej0F.png

Are you talking about this?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The thin white strip around the edge is for the antenna... Signal strength

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The peace in the Middle is plastic an the white bandns on the back are plastic for the antenna

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The peace in the Middle is plastic an the white bandns on the back are plastic for the antenna

That's what I thought. I don't care about the pieces on the back but don't understand why they used the plastic in the middle and then said it was "All metal". The ads clearly say this and its not true. That white "filling" in the middle is not metal.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought. I don't care about the pieces on the back but don't understand why they used the plastic in the middle and then said it was "All metal". The ads clearly say this and its not true. That white "filling" in the middle is not metal.

For god sakes there's only 3 plastic things on this phone everything else is Metal so is it all metal phone except for 3 plastic things.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That white filling in the middle is not insignificant ...at least not to me, as it at a minimum runs around the circumference of the phone and may represent even more "filling". However, as I initially wrote the One's use of metal is a step in the right direction. If I bought a bracelet described as "All gold" and looked at it and saw a big slab of plastic in the middle of it my reaction would be similar.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This isn't trolling and I like my S4. The One is good hardware but the points I've made are meaningful to me. I still want to know why I'm the only one noting this. ....but that doesn't make my inquiry trolling. Perhaps you can elaborate based on the above posts?

Sent from my humble S4

Status
Not open for further replies.