Group messaging

N2n8re

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC one through Sprint and I need help being able to see my original text in the threads that I receive back. I use group texting every day with my work phone. I send a group text out as individual texts but my original text is not in the responses that I receive back. So I have to go back through all of the group texts that I have sent out to find who I sent it to so that I can know what the person is actually responding to. I have spoken to Sprint and my IT person at my company and both say that it is not possible to have the original text show up in the individual threads but I know that it is because my Droid with Verizon does that. Is there any way that I can get the HTC to show the original texts in the response threads that come back to me? Are there any apps that I can download that will do this?

Thank you!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No. And unless all your recipients download the same app for messaging then none of the group messaging features work. When you use a none stock Android device like the DROID and the HTC One you will have to stick to the same device line if you want the features added by thier OEM. Unless you are willing to root and add the features you want.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No. And unless all your recipients download the same app for messaging then none of the group messaging features work. When you use a none stock Android device like the DROID and the HTC One you will have to stick to the same device line if you want the features added by thier OEM. Unless you are willing to root and add the features you want.

Technically, since she is sending "Individual Messages" as an option on the One, it isn't Group Messaging. What she is doing is sending an individual message to multiple individual recipients, kind of like a BCC in email. The recipients receive no information indicating that message went to multiple people at once. But your assertion that Group Messaging doesn't work across different manufacturers is incorrect as well. It's just that not all phones support it or some people neglect to turn it on. But I regularly have conversations with friends with Galaxy S3s and S4s and iPhones and the One properly handles the messages in one thread.

The problem here is the way the native messaging app on the One handles different threads. If you make a new message and enter multiple recipients, it will generate a new thread for the sent thread with all of those recipients. The problem there is that any reply is only going to have that individual, so the app doesn't place that reply in the newly created thread. It will instead place the message in an existing thread with that individual, or create yet another new one had you not had a conversation with that individual.

I don't know exactly how other apps and how they handle this, but I know apps such as Handcent and Textra allow a lot more options than the stock app.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Technically, since she is sending "Individual Messages" as an option on the One, it isn't Group Messaging. What she is doing is sending an individual message to multiple individual recipients, kind of like a BCC in email. The recipients receive no information indicating that message went to multiple people at once. But your assertion that Group Messaging doesn't work across different manufacturers is incorrect as well. It's just that not all phones support it or some people neglect to turn it on. But I regularly have conversations with friends with Galaxy S3s and S4s and iPhones and the One properly handles the messages in one thread.

The problem here is the way the native messaging app on the One handles different threads. If you make a new message and enter multiple recipients, it will generate a new thread for the sent thread with all of those recipients. The problem there is that any reply is only going to have that individual, so the app doesn't place that reply in the newly created thread. It will instead place the message in an existing thread with that individual, or create yet another new one had you not had a conversation with that individual.

I don't know exactly how other apps and how they handle this, but I know apps such as Handcent and Textra allow a lot more options than the stock app.

Ok you didn't understand much of what I said and then added in things I didn't say.

1) "Group Messaging doesn't work across different manufacturers" My assertion is that some OEM have group messaging features that are in the Touchwiz, Sense, etc and to use those features you need their device to generate the group message she is used to from her previous device the Droid and since she switched from that to the HTC One it doesn't have the same feature set. Nothing about group messaging working between different manufacturers.

2) What I took from what she said was she is starting with sending a group message but when getting the individual message replies they are not including the original message being replied to in their new threads. This is a feature of the DROID which remembers the original message and adds it to the incoming reply. To get this feature from an app all people being included in the group message have to be using the same messaging app because they use online servers to correlate the messages.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok you didn't understand much of what I said and then added in things I didn't say.

1) "Group Messaging doesn't work across different manufacturers" My assertion is that some OEM have group messaging features that are in the Touchwiz, Sense, etc and to use those features you need their device to generate the group message she is used to from her previous device the Droid and since she switched from that to the HTC One it doesn't have the same feature set. Nothing about group messaging working between different manufacturers.

2) What I took from what she said was she is starting with sending a group message but when getting the individual message replies they are not including the original message being replied to in their new threads. This is a feature of the DROID which remembers the original message and adds it to the incoming reply. To get this feature from an app all people being included in the group message have to be using the same messaging app because they use online servers to correlate the messages.

I think the confusion is when you referred to an app, you were referring to a group messaging app such as Whatsapp or Hangouts? What I was talking about were different SMS apps. So by manufacturers I meant the different native SMS apps from HTC (Sense), Samsung (Touchwiz), and iPhone.

That said, there could be a third-party SMS app out there that does what the OP is looking for. I've never dug deep enough for that feature, but if it's present in DROID's native SMS app, there is likely a third-party one that replicates it.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the confusion is when you referred to an app, you were referring to a group messaging app such as Whatsapp or Hangouts? What I was talking about were different SMS apps. So by manufacturers I meant the different native SMS apps from HTC (Sense), Samsung (Touchwiz), and iPhone.

That said, there could be a third-party SMS app out there that does what the OP is looking for. I've never dug deep enough for that feature, but if it's present in DROID's native SMS app, there is likely a third-party one that replicates it.

Ahh ok it is alot clearer now. Awesome this didn't turn into some argument, thanks.