Disapionting KitKat Update - How do I disable....?

svenson14

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Immediately after updating to KitKat, I noticed a few features that I'd like to Disable or have back:

1. [*]Dots on the Home Screen.
    I don't understand the Dots for the Home screen Pages. The appear to be completely useless and only add an awkward gap between the icons.
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-23-37-46_1.jpg

[*]Offset Lock Pattern
    Why the F#$% is the Lock Pattern not centered with the screen?
    Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-54-19.jpg

[*]Theme/Menu Color
    The new color is green across the entire phone. How do I change this?!
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-23-44-59.jpg

[*]Unread Texts
    Unread test now appear bold (barely) rather than a blue bar. Is there a way to make unread text significantly different from read??

[*]Wallpaper Gallery
    I can't seem to use a Slideshow/Gallery as my wallpaper. Gallery selects only one photo.
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-23-45-17.jpg

[*]Can I disable the lock screen without an app?
    I have a pattern enabled. Both the lock screen and pattern is redundant.

And finally, GOOGLE, what the Hell were you thinking with these changes?!

Android Vers.: 4.4.2
HTC Sense Vers: 6.0

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-02-23-45-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-23-45-42.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 13

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Dots on the Home Screen.
I don't understand the Dots for the Home screen Pages. The appear to be completely useless and only add an awkward gap between the icons.
You have 5 homnescreens - you're looking at the 3rd one (that's why the 3rd dot is highlighted).

Offset Lock Pattern
Why the F#$% is the Lock Pattern not centered with the screen?
Horizontally it is. Vertically, the weather widget takes up space, so the pattern is moved down.

Theme/Menu Color
The new color is green across the entire phone. How do I change this?!
Can't say for sure, but if you root and install Xposed, there are modules that can make a lot of changes to the screen. That could be one of them. (I've never tried, because I don't care what color my menus are.)

Unread Texts
Unread test now appear bold (barely) rather than a blue bar. Is there a way to make unread text significantly different from read??
There are a lot of text apps. You aren't limited to the one that came with the phone. Download all the free ones (one at a time, of course) and decide which one you like best.

Wallpaper Gallery
I can't seem to use a Slideshow/Gallery as my wallpaper. Gallery selects only one photo.
One picture or live wallpaper (a short video), no slide show.

Can I disable the lock screen without an app?
I have a pattern enabled. Both the lock screen and pattern is redundant.
Pattern is one of the lock screens. You can disable or change lock screens in Settings/Device/Lock screen.

And finally, GOOGLE, what the Hell were you thinking with these changes?!
You're assuming they were thinking. :)

As far as reverting to 4.3, I don't know if you can on an HTC (you probably can, it's not a "Samsung AT&T or Verizon soldered shut with armed guards protecting it" phone). You just find a 4.3 ROM for that model and flash it.

svenson14

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I should have clarified; is there a way to fix these issues without Rooting? I've only ever run into more issues when rooting my old Samsung Galaxy S.

You have 5 homnescreens - you're looking at the 3rd one (that's why the 3rd dot is highlighted).

I realize what it is, but it's pointless. Is there a way to remove it? This is by far the most annoying "feature"

Horizontally it is. Vertically, the weather widget takes up space, so the pattern is moved down.
Right, so how do I get rid of the weather widget? I can't find a way to remove it anywhere in the settings.

Can't say for sure, but if you root and install Xposed, there are modules that can make a lot of changes to the screen. That could be one of them. (I've never tried, because I don't care what color my menus are.)
Blue was perfect. I don't see why this change.

There are a lot of text apps. You aren't limited to the one that came with the phone. Download all the free ones (one at a time, of course) and decide which one you like best.

One picture or live wallpaper (a short video), no slide show.
So where did this feature go? Why did they get rid of the ability for the phone to change wallpapers every ~30 minutes??

Pattern is one of the lock screens. You can disable or change lock screens in Settings/Device/Lock screen.

I can select "Bypass lock screen on wake" but the lock screen still shows up if I don't reach the "lock phone after" timeout.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I should have clarified; is there a way to fix these issues without Rooting? I've only ever run into more issues when rooting my old Samsung Galaxy S.

Some of these issues can be "fixed" with a custom launcher, such as Nova, Apex... Easy to use and no root needed. Plenty of information in this forum about them.