Share your HTC One (M8) first impressions and personal reviews!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have it listed on craigst list for 200 with a brand new I bolt car dock but now my i bolt broke so I am selling phone only and of course I have a case and it has a screen protector on it. Someone offered me 150 if I sold it the other day that day and it wasn't worth 25 bucks more when I would be without a phone for a week or so. But 125 is better than Sprints 85. But yes if someone offered me 175 or so the day I was getting my new phone or the day before I would take it. Cause I am not sure if I am getting the extra 50 for phone freedom or not. I know I signed up but they said it doesn't show up till you activate new phone. And I am like 90% sure I did but will see.

I would think your M7 would be worth more. Try selling online first and see what kind of $$ you could get.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I was originally an iPhone guy and subsequently got fed up with the small screen size. After using the iPhone for 2 years, I switched to a Droid DNA to get a bigger, 1080p display. I became a huge fan of the Android OS during that time. However, the one issue I had with Android phones was the crummy build quality. I loved the dual glass sides and solid feel of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 felt like a premium device every time I picked it up. I cannot tell you how amazing the HTC One M8 feels in the hand-- this phone oozes a premium feel.

I can say without any hesitation that this will be a phone I actually hold onto and praise for the next couple of years.

I am also impressed by the low light camera shots. I take better pictures of my daughter in a low light living room than my wife does with her Galaxy S4.

Also, as a general note, this phone has great battery life. I made it from 6am-10pm yesterday and still had 53% of my battery life left. The phone was used moderately from 9am-4pm and lightly for the other hours (it basically acted as my tv remote, roku remote, and web browser from 6-10pm.

I highly recommend this phone. If it is a toss up for you between this phone and a plastic gold ball dimple, Galaxy S5, then I would recommend this phone any day. There will be a very distinct difference in build quality, and re-releasing the plastic S4 with a gold ball dimpled back is not a major aesthetic overhaul between the S4 and S5.

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow, tall,, easier to hold in landscape. I miss the position keys (on the side of the keyboard) while texting or typing. I need 2 or three more days to make a judgement on keeping it. It's nice with the Media Link for those special times. Kit Kat is fast, no bumps,yet. The 'bezel' is a nice hand hold in portrait. 9 mo' days!

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Correction, 12 more days before I have to make a decision, so far so good, love the resizing of fonts when I go to a web page but that's only on HTC phones that I've used. I need those arrows back for the keyboard, though. Really helps w/texting. Gotta check for SVDO, also.

psychcub

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This is the phone that made me switch back to android (fantasy, charge, galaxy nexus, iphone 5) and now HTC One (M8). The metal housing is what caught my attention, but once i got into the store and tinkered with it I had to get it. I used my iphone 5 since release date and yes it is a big change to the M8, but a good one. I've seen some phones out there that are huge, but at the same time i don't feel like i am making a call from my ipad mini. The iphone 5 felt or appeared odd length wise at first but I guess I adjusted to it. I love the screen even with a screen protector on the size and clarity are just right. The solid build quality is something I had not experienced in an android device until now :(. I don't see any concerns with the camera either. Pics are coming out great and i actually like having all the features for different types of shots. The sound well that is a highlight! I recently bought a bluetooth speaker for listening to music while getting ready for work or what not because the i5 simply couldnt cut it. The M8's sound is loud and crisp over the water and fan running. I ordered a cruzerlite case as I liked the grippiness, style and light feeling so i know this will enhance my experience as I have a temporary otterbox on it now. Also it came with 32gb plus expanded storage! This is just my opinion, but there will never be a perfect phone that 100% of users will agree upon. If this was reality there would never be a need for change or diversity. As I have wrote in my experience a change is a good thing. I'm still running on the same amount of battery time as my i5 lasted, so I think that is a good feat esp since M8 has so much more going on. We are not in the days of flips where we charged once a week and i have accepted that! Hope this helps from an Android to iOS to Android user once more!

ADDED! +My brother and I both got one with the BOGOF Deal and got credited $200 on our plan! I believe the BOGOF goes on for a couple more weeks, but the $100 line credit expired yesterday. There are some online coupons if you search dropping it to $139 or $149 for both as well (that's if you are patient for mail delivery). Just thought I'd through that in!

hdradaza

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
2 days now with my new M8 ordered from UK. Former Iphone user, Samsung S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3.

First off, the design just feels really comfortable in the hand. Fits the hand perfectly. The tapered edges make it feel really thin. Of course,I came from the Note 3 which was huge. Immediately, I notice how smooth HTC is compared to my Note 3 which used to crash (yep). UI seems to be very user friendly too compared to previous samsungs Ive owned. The rear dual camera is OK. I can see where it comes short. Extremely brightness in the background gives you washed out look. But on the other hand, it focuses very fast, and low light is amazing,which my samsungs all had a problem with. For my everyday use, it is just fine. The features in the camera are endless and I can see me using the Ufocus (refocusing after the shot) a lot. S5 and Z2 also offer it, but where this stands out is, you can do it to all pictures AFTER the shot (except night mode and zoe). With the S5, you have to first put it in refocus mode BEFORE the shot. Sometimes, I dont really know which shots I want to refocus so this is a better implementation of the idea. The lockscreen gestures are very usefull. Boomsound is AMAZING!

My complaints:
1) You can unlock straight to camera by holding volume in portrait mode and turning to landscape. However, I find I also like to take shots in portrait, so it would have been nice to have it work regardless of orientation to quickly open camera

2) The 3 buttons (back, home, recents) on the screen take up space. They should have been capacitive buttons where the black plastic is.

3) In camera mode, it is hard to get out of it. very small buttons to tap to get out of camera mode quickly.

4) is there a limitation to the video highlights as to number of pics or vids shown? It seems there is. maybe longer highlights would be good. For now, AutoAwesome by Google works around this.

5) I prefer a menu instead of recents. So inconvenient to click the 3 dots.

6) App drawer cannot be removed from dock ???

7) I dont have extreme power saver. Im waiting for the update on this. For now, I have a power saver option (turns off mobile data when off, etc..)

8) No File browser built in so I used Astro

9) I couldnt move a lot of files to SD card. I used to move almost all in Note 3 kitkat. Stayed on device ( Flipboard, NBA Gametime, NILS, Sidebar Launcher, Todoist, WhatsApp). Can you guys move this to your SD Card?

10) When using front camera for using selfies, you cannot tap on screen to focus. It just automatically detects face. Granted its a selfie, but I was trying to focus in the background to adjust the lighting.

11) Weird Icon on notification bar upper right that looks like " N " and it wont go away

12) LED notification light could have been bigger

13) Camera should have video button instead of having to choose before hand whether it is a pic or vid. just have both buttons available!
That pretty much it for now.

bigsyd

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else with a Verizon M8 have barcode stickers on the back? Kind of feels like they don't want to come off. Never had this on a new phone before. Thnx.

I have the stickers as well. However, I'm waiting 14 days before I pull them off. I purchased mine off-contract (didn't want to lose my unlimited data on Verizon) and I want to make sure this is the best place to park $600 for the next couple of years. I actually thought about spending an additional $100 plus $35 restocking fee and getting the Google Edition of this phone. All this being said, I really think I'm going to stick with this one.

lags1610

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The big N is most likely NFC, turn that off and it should go. Don't have the phone... yet, so I'm just making an educated guess for now.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The N is your NFC turned on it can be turned off in settings somewhere.. That was on the old HTC One and we didn't know what it was at 1st.

2 days now with my new M8 ordered from UK. Former Iphone user, Samsung S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3.
My complaints:

11) Weird Icon on notification bar upper right that looks like " N " and it wont go away

That pretty much it for now.

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I just received one from HTC itself, and am very impressed. I'm coming from the Galaxy s4, and this feels and looks way more premium and classy feeling. Since this is my first HTC, I'm just learning the basics. One thing confuses me; why won't the screen scroll/slide to the right? It only goes to the left. I turned off Blinkfeed for now, until I get my apps organized.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I just received one from HTC itself, and am very impressed. I'm coming from the Galaxy s4, and this feels and looks way more premium and classy feeling. Since this is my first HTC, I'm just learning the basics. One thing confuses me; why won't the screen scroll/slide to the right? It only goes to the left. I turned off Blinkfeed for now, until I get my apps organized.

Pinch your home screen and that should show an option to add another "screen" to the right

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Pinch your home screen and that should show an option to add another "screen" to the right

Thanks, but the only screen when sliding to the right is Blinkfeed. Isn't there a way to create a blank screen there, and have BF elsewhere? I like keeping all my apps on either side of the home page.

morami

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but the only screen when sliding to the right is Blinkfeed. Isn't there a way to create a blank screen there, and have BF elsewhere? I like keeping all my apps on either side of the home page.

Blinkfeed resides to the left, you either remove it or live with it there. Also you can add more screens to the right. Add 3 more screens and make the one in the middle your homepage and use the left and right screens for what you need.
Hope you understand what I mean.

Posted via Android Central App

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Huh? I don't seem to have an option for buttons in the display and gestures section

Posted via Android Central App
Here it is:
2014-04-03 14.45.00.jpg

Strangely enough, it doesn't actually appear to work, at least not for me. I press and hold and I feel a vibration but nothing happens. Tried in several different apps, same thing. :\

Attachments

• 2014-04-03 01.48.41.jpg
    2014-04-03 01.48.41.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 91

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress