HTC One (M8) or Nexus 5?

M8 or N5

• Total voters

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what you think, HTC One M8 or Nexus 5. If you have a little more time, why? I'm ready to use my T-Mobile Jump, and am deciding between the two.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Quick Poll M8 or N5

Just wondering what you think, HTC One M8 or Nexus 5. If you have a little more time, why? I'm ready to use my T-Mobile Jump, and am deciding between the two.
You read my mind, I was just about to put this up, but I was like naaa.

Besides built quality and "maybe" some features... Its not worth the extra 300.. Plus I just ordered my Nexus 5 32GB today !!

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
M8. I love the look of the phone and the gunmetal finish looks fabulous. I don't use the camera on phones very much, so as long as I can tell what I'm looking at, its good enough for me. Plus, HTC sense is the most polished of all the manufacturer overlays, though this doesn't apply when put against the N5. So basically it comes down to looks, newer chipset, and the fact that the negatives that turn some people off won't affect my use of the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

EDIT: Forgot about the front facing speakers, which I also like

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

rrballer, what do you think? I wasn't too impressed with the M8, to be honest. If only the N5 had front facing speakers, it would be a no brainer. Oh how I love my front facing speakers on my M7...

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

M8. I love the look of the phone and the gunmetal finish looks fabulous. I don't use the camera on phones very much, so as long as I can tell what I'm looking at, its good enough for me. Plus, HTC sense is the most polished of all the manufacturer overlays, though this doesn't apply when put against the N5. So basically it comes down to looks, newer chipset, and the fact that the negatives that turn some people off won't affect my use of the phone.

The chip set isn't, a huge difference either, 800 to 801.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As a Nexus 5 owner who was completely ready and willing to trade it in for the new HTC One, I'm sticking with the Nexus 5.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5.
1) Better camera from what I have seen on the M8.
2) Better software, and faster updates
3) Not as big of a phone, but display is the same size

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

rrballer, what do you think? I wasn't too impressed with the M8, to be honest. If only the N5 had front facing speakers, it would be a no brainer. Oh how I love my front facing speakers on my M7...

The metal build and camera features & speakers are whats better on the M8 vs the Nexus 5.

NOW! are you willing to spend the extra 300 for those certain things is the question? I already have a Nexus 5 on the way and I am happy I made the right choice!

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

My thought too. And, what I love with JUMP, is that if I make a mistake on the phone I purchase, I get a new one in a few months anyways.

I also have jump, its a great service. I found out the other day, that they no longer offer only insurance.. they only offer jump now, Which is worth it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I also have jump, its a great service. I found out the other day, that they no longer offer only insurance.. they only offer jump now, Which is worth it.

The premium insurance is included with JUMP! :D

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

HTC One for me:

- Better build
- Better speakers
- Better screen (assuming the M8's screen is as good as the M7's)
- Better software (yes I preferred Sense 5 and 5.5 over stock 4.4.2, and yes I had a Nexus 5)
- Better features (duo camera looks interesting, Zoe's, highlight videos, blinkfeed, IR blaster etc I like)
- Better battery

Only thing I'm unsure of is the camera. I didn't like the camera of the N5. It got better with the 4.4.2 update, but still didn't think image quality was spectacular. The One (M7) had decent imagery in light and great imagery in low light. I'll have to use the M8 to see if the camera is improved upon the M7's and see if it's better than the Nexus 5.

Software updates I don't care for, because I got really turned off stock android with the Nexus 5. I preferred Sense 5 on Android 4.1 than I did stock Android 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. On top of that Sense only got better with Sense 5.5 and the 4.4.2 update. I assume Sense 6 is an extension of Sense 5.5 and even better.

The One seems like a more complete package to me and a better device. But then again it does cost more than the N5.

Last edited:

rayman23

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

I've had a nexus 5 since it came out, but just ordered the new htc one. I'll update tomorrow when I have both and able to compare side by side. But overall the Google Nexus 5 is a great smartphone, it has treated me very well over the last several months and I won't hesitate to come back to Google for the nexus 6!

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I'll keep my Moto X gladly. I get many of the same perks (i.e. fast updates, apps updated in play store, etc) as the Nexus 5 and I'm still on VZW with unlimited data. This phone was a bigger let down than the S5 even thought about being.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
HTC One for me:

- Better build
- Better speakers (N5 has an appalling speaker)
- Better screen (assuming the M8's screen is as good as the M7's)
- Better software (yes I preferred Sense 5 and 5.5 over stock 4.4.2, and yes I had a Nexus 5)
- Better features (duo camera looks interesting, Zoe's, highlight videos, blinkfeed, IR blaster etc I like)
- Better battery (N5 had absolutely appalling battery)

Only thing I'm unsure of is the camera. I didn't like the camera of the N5. It got better with the 4.4.2 update, but still didn't think image quality was spectacular. The One (M7) had decent imagery in light and great imagery in low light. I'll have to use the M8 to see if the camera is improved upon the M7's and see if it's better than the Nexus 5.

Software updates I don't care for, because I got really turned off stock android with the Nexus 5. I preferred Sense 5 on Android 4.1 than I did stock Android 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. On top of that Sense only got better with Sense 5.5 and the 4.4.2 update. I assume Sense 6 is an extension of Sense 5.5 and even better.

The One seems like a more complete package to me and a better device. But then again it does cost more than the N5.

I seriously don't know where this is all coming from....

All you need is Xposed and Franco to make N5 a perfect phone. Speaker is great and loud, battery life is amazing (5 hours of screen time and crazy standby time), customizable screen colors to make it 100% perfect to your eyes, almost unlimited amount of customization with Franco and xposed .

I also have Moto X which is great, but as far as speaker and battery I just don't see much difference between the two. Yes, moto is better but not by much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumythgrewal