HTC One (M8): Battery Life

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Not very much screen on time, your battery life will drastically change if you use it more. Not trying to discredit it as I have really good battery life, but it definitely doesn't last that long for me. I've got 31% left with about 13.5 hrs and a whole lot more screen on time

Posted via Android Central App

How do you show screen time?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I get about 7hrs screen on time on average, which is very good imo

uploadfromtaptalk1396758850813.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

nightdesigns

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I notice no difference between my M8 battery usage and that of the EVO4GLTE it replaced. Both have me at about 30% at the end of the day. I was hoping for more.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never gotten less than a day out of it. In fact, the very first day I got it when I was spending all this time setting it up, going through all the settings, checking the camera, etc. I believe I got something like 30 hours, and it wasn't even fully charged. I've been trying to cycle the battery going from full to <20% before charging, and I'll have class the next day so I'll want to run it down so I can charge it beforehand, but I seriously can't kill this battery haha. I'll be texting for an hour, only lose 2 or 3%. Stream music for an hour, only lose 3 or 4. It just won't die. I'll end up going to class with 30% left, and come home with 24%. It's just ridiculous. It would actually be better to compare the battery life to my Nexus 7 instead of my old phone. My Spectrum 2 would be plugged in most of the time I'm not using it. My One, like my N7, I charge every other day. I don't really feel like doing it because I like using this phone way too much, but I could get a day and a half out of my old Thunderbolt with the standard battery. I could probably get my One to last almost a full week if I wanted.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I find the M8 to have steller battery life, I'm more than impressed with it. My nexus 5 is way poor in comparison.

Posted via my HTC One_M8 using the Android Central App

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been so so for me on sprint. I havn't used it much in the past two hours and i'm already down to 75%. Brightness is on auto. I upgraded to the latest update from today. Could it be that the android system process is close to 50%?

I did change to roaming to "home only" as it was set to auto....

I did have all my settings from my evo lte back up transfered over. Could that be the problem,?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I only see 1 hour of screen time right there.. Not 7 :what:. 7 would be really high.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Look at average screen on time on the bottom. The 1 hour is screen on time since last being unplugged

I agree though, 7 is really high which is why the battery life is really good imo

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Look at average screen on time on the bottom. The 1 hour is screen on time since last being unplugged

I agree though, 7 is really high which is why the battery life is really good imo

I would have to see your screenshot of 7 hour battery time to see the M8 getting that without charging sometime in between. The only reason is because in your screenshot your phone radio was only on for 6 hours and 41 minutes. So in under 7 hours (with 1 hour and 18 minutes of screen time) you are already at 47 % battery. So the phone being on for 7 hours and the screen as well for those 7 hours without ever being plugged in doesn't really add up ....

connorp12

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I had very good battery life for like the first week and a half of having this phone. Now randomly I am losing like 6 percent an hour standby. And in use, it is draining much faster than before. And this was completely random. Honestly really frustrating because for a while the battery life was so good. I do not want to have to factory reset or anything but it looks like a I might have to as I can notice a significant difference.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I would have to see your screenshot of 7 hour battery time to see the M8 getting that without charging sometime in between. The only reason is because in your screenshot your phone radio was only on for 6 hours and 41 minutes. So in under 7 hours (with 1 hour and 18 minutes of screen time) you are already at 47 % battery. So the phone being on for 7 hours and the screen as well for those 7 hours without ever being plugged in doesn't really add up ....

If you look at the top section where it lists everything and gives you the time all those were used, it says at the bottom right corner in small print since last unplugged. That's the reference point at which it starts to measure and record.

I'm referring to the bottom section where it says averages per complete charge. According to that, I get 7hr max screen on time with about 13hr battery life.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the top section where it lists everything and gives you the time all those were used, it says at the bottom right corner in small print since last unplugged. That's the reference point at which it starts to measure and record.

I'm referring to the bottom section where it says averages per complete charge. According to that, I get 7hr max screen on time with about 13hr battery life.

Again the bottom could be 7 hours of screen on time and you easily could have charged it some during that as most stats don't reset until 90 percent or higher on most phones.

If it's easy to do 7 hours why not get a screenshot of actual recorded usage? I am just hard pressed to see 7 hours average screen time on a battery smaller than my Note 3 when that is not a common screen time for most phones in the market without some sort of charge in the middle or something.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Scottc72

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I cant figure out whats wrong with my settings but take a look at this and tell me what you think. My screen brightness is set half way and auto brightness is checked. Im barely using this thing. My carrier is Verizon. under app usage kernel is 25%, android system is 1.3% and everything else under 1%
under screen it says discharge while on is 3% and while off is 45%
Im barely using this and it is not making me happy.
Correct me if im wrong but it says I used the phone for 28:10 and used 27% of batt.. I unplugged at about 8 am and by about 5:00 its alerting me at 14% I love the phone but something is out of whack. Completely turned off wifi today to see if it helped, but no it didnt..
I switched from sprint with the M7 because of terrible reception but loved the phone...
Anyone have any ideas?

Screenshot_2014-04-08-18-26-07.jpg

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I cant figure out whats wrong with my settings but take a look at this and tell me what you think. My screen brightness is set half way and auto brightness is checked. Im barely using this thing. My carrier is Verizon. under app usage kernel is 25%, android system is 1.3% and everything else under 1%
under screen it says discharge while on is 3% and while off is 45%
Im barely using this and it is not making me happy.
Correct me if im wrong but it says I used the phone for 28:10 and used 27% of batt.. I unplugged at about 8 am and by about 5:00 its alerting me at 14% I love the phone but something is out of whack. Completely turned off wifi today to see if it helped, but no it didnt..
I switched from sprint with the M7 because of terrible reception but loved the phone...
Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 111515

Look at your Held Awake time...something is keeping your phone awake and not allowing it to deep sleep when you're not using it. Check your apps.

quarrymanpaul

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Does the Held Awake not ensure that the data connection is kept on and therefore allow you to receive emails, keep streaming apps playing music etc?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Does the Held Awake not ensure that the data connection is kept on and therefore allow you to receive emails, keep streaming apps playing music etc?

From the Gsam user guide

Held Awake: This is the amount of time that the phone appears to be sleeping (screen is off), but some application is preventing the phone from going into a deep sleep. This is one of the chief indicators of unneeded battery drain. This is similar to the 'Idle' value in the built-in battery usage, however we don't include the screen on time to help with clarity.
Battery Saving Tip: Apps should not wake your phone up out of a deep sleep. If the Held Awake time seems high to you, go into the App Sucker task, and sort by 'Time Held Awake', and 'Num Times Waking Device'. This can help you identify a misbehaving app/I]

I don't think data connection to receive emails would be reflected here, but if you were streaming music during that time then, yes it would be awake by virtue of the running app.

Bonzaibeck

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been getting fantastic battery life. This was a little bit slower than normal day, but the fact that I can get almost two days out of it on a slow day means I'm not worried at all about a heavy day of use.
Battery Life.jpg

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Here's your screenshot buddy. 7hrs screen on time. Very good battery life indeed

uploadfromtaptalk1397099784050.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress