HTC One M8 GPS/Compass/Sky Map

Wendi1971

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
This is my fourth HTC phone so was suprised when my google sky map didnt work. It also appears my compass doesnt work any suggestions?

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I was prepared to come in and suggest that since it's such an old app and not even really supported anymore that's why. But then I downloaded it and was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked just fine. Are you sure you have GPS on?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Brandontw

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2 day old M8 having this problem... sky map is unusable, and calibration seems impossible. Compass points a different direction after every calibration attempt.

I found a pretty useful compass app that shows current magnetometer accuracy. Mine says "low" or "unreliable" all the time. I cant get it to calibrate no matter how many ridiculous hocus pocus maneuvers I do the the phone.

Search "accurate compass" on the play store. Its got good reviews, and people say it fixed their problems, but i cant get it to go.

I think I'm going to return it and get a different one.. we'll see if its a hardware problem or operator error.

beaconlegal

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a new (one month old) HTC One M8 and the compass doesn't work. At least it does for a few seconds and then it "snaps" to a position and locks itself there on the screen after which moveing the phone in any dorection makes no difference whatsoever. This is the case with any APP which uses the compass, so Google Sky, ISS detector or just a plain vanilla compass. Most annoying, especially as the shop has gone into administration ... :-(

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
it's not just you...Had my new HTC One M8 from Vodafone last week having vowed to never get another HTC after 5 replacements of an HTC One X over the last 2 years. Tried to use Locus maps yesterday and thought it was odd the map view wasn't rotating..tried GPS essentials and no response on compass at all...I thought "damm...I didn't think to check whether this phone even had a compass!" Of course it does..but mine does nothing in Google Maps, Locus, gps essentials or anything else apart from a compass app from gabenative which responds well but is inverted S<=>N and eventually locks up as you've described.

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I took the phone back to carphonewarehouse And showed the guy who swapped for a new one no probs...luckily I'm still in my first week of contract. In store, all seemed ok with the new one....googlemaps rotating the pointer correctly. Having had it a day at home I noticed the compass needed calibrating almost every time I opened a compass app so chatted to HTC live support who said they'd escalate the case. Tonight I've just allowed the 4.4.3 OTA to apply and immediately following that the compass is now completely unresponsive...exactly the same as the first unit. So now I have an m8 from carphonewarehouses central warehouse that exhibits exactly the same problem as one I exchanged a week later in store.....unreliable compass needing constant calllibration in 4.4.2, that becomes inoperative under 4.4.3. I'll add this to the ticket tomorrow and see where I get to..I need to know whether this is a hardware issue so I can just get me money back whilst I have chance, or a software one which I can wait for an update on....ho hum..not that emei numbers are necessarily consecutive but there's about 100,000 between the two I've had...that's a wedge load of phones to recall if there's a hardware issue...

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I have this exact same issue as well with my M8 from the Carphonewarehouse last week.

Cookan, I've replied to your XDA thread as well before I saw this one... Any news on progress? It may help if you point HTC to this thread, wonder if it's a dodgy batch of M8's?

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'll follow up with them today and point them to this thread.

Did we all get them from CPW / Vodafone ?
Not sure where/how many CPW central warehouses there are, but just incase, I'm based nr Guildford and got the replacement from Farnham in case that matches with anyone else.

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Mines CPW / EE (not that the operator makes any difference!), was purchased from instore stock last week from Exeter.

(I'll post all my replies on here instead of on XDA if you're going to point CPW to this thread..)

Chris

Thomas Slater1

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello

I'm on my 2nd HTC ONE M8, having had the first (bought from Carphone Warehouse) replaced following a bunch of faults developing - the worst being that it would no longer charge.

Anyway, I got a replacement from HTC but am now having the same compass problem described above - when using Google maps the direction arrow sometimes works, but sooner or later it locks in one place irrespective of movements to the phone. I just spent an hour going through potential solutions via online chat with HTC but to no avail. He's now suggested a factory reset - this was the solution proposed when the problems developed with the last handset; it didn't achieve anything that time so I fear I may be looking at sending it off to HTC again. I'd be interested if anyone comes across any other possible solutions.

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
did you get a ticket number from them ? worth asking them to escalate it as they told me they'd be checking for other people registering the problem. They wouldn't put a link to external forums in the ticket for some reason so I asked them to put a note in the ticket for their tech support to at least search the forums for the other reporting this.

Haven't heard anything back from them yet I'm afraid.

Ant.

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Right, I swapped my phone today. This new M8 must have been from a newer batch as all the updates I needed to apply on the 'old' M8 were already on there from stock.

The compass still freezes and the magnetics reading all read zero on X,Y and Z axis.

Sigh...

I'm going to bung some keywords in this post so Googlers will hopefully find this thread.
HTC M8 Compass problem, frozen, stuck, unresponsive, faultly.

Last edited:

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
well that's good news and bad I guess...good that it further confirms the issue, bad that that's not particularly good news! I guess the more IMEI's with the issue we can log with HTC the better. I can't post links yet here but googling "htc support live" gets you to where you need to raise a ticket if anyone else comes across this thread.

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Well that took ages lol

Also been told to wait for a mystical email...

EDIT: Received an email from HTC..... Its giving me instructions on setting up my MMS service correctly! WTF?

Last edited:

Bessarabian

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

For those who are wondering if this problem has something to do with Verizon or Carephone warehouse - the answer is no! I have the exact same issue with my own HTC one m8 which comes from a French carrier (Bouygues telecom). The phone is brand new, its GPS works fine but the compass is totally unreliable and gets stuck after a few movements. I talked with HTC live, came through the whole process with no success.