G2 to M8 back to G2

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, just looking to share my journey. I had the M7 when it CE out, loved it, but my phone sickness made me by the G2. Bought it, loved it, but missed the M7. So than the M8 comes out, had to have it, bought it, used it for a few months and today reconnected my G2. I found that I like the screen on G2 better, and actually compared side by side the G2 opens everything faster, web pages, apps, etc. Everything was quicker. Don't get me wrong, when I picked up the M8 I said to myself, this phone will be a keeper for a while. Its a sickness I guess, lol. The M8 is a great phone, has its pluses , but for me, I came back to lg, I guess I'll see when next HTC comes out and now unfortunately looks like I'm gonna be another $600 in the hole when the G3 is released.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, just looking to share my journey. I had the M7 when it CE out, loved it, but my phone sickness made me by the G2. Bought it, loved it, but missed the M7. So than the M8 comes out, had to have it, bought it, used it for a few months and today reconnected my G2. I found that I like the screen on G2 better, and actually compared side by side the G2 opens everything faster, web pages, apps, etc. Everything was quicker. Don't get me wrong, when I picked up the M8 I said to myself, this phone will be a keeper for a while. Its a sickness I guess, lol. The M8 is a great phone, has its pluses , but for me, I came back to lg, I guess I'll see when next HTC comes out and now unfortunately looks like I'm gonna be another $600 in the hole when the G3 is released.

In my experience with the two phones, I found the M8 to be a little faster than the G2.

The G2 is a great phone, and so is the M8. They both have their advantages, but if I were going to buy one, it would probably be the M8. That could certainly change when the G3 is released, though.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently attempting to purchase a G2 off Swappa and sell my M8, so I hear ya. I was holding out hope for the G3, now I think I've given up. I just can take another day with the M8. I've got tons of problems with my phone and I've already had to swap it out once with VZW's replacement plan.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently attempting to purchase a G2 off Swappa and sell my M8, so I hear ya. I was holding out hope for the G3, now I think I've given up. I just can take another day with the M8. I've got tons of problems with my phone and I've already had to swap it out once with VZW's replacement plan.

The G3 is rumored to arrive on July 17th for Verizon, Sprint and AT&T. I can understand not wanting to keep the M8 if it is giving you problems, but there may be a short term solution, at least, to hold you over until the G3 arrives.

What are the problems you're having?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I think my Flex is faster and better looking than the G2. And it is demonstrably more resistant to pocket damage. Still on the fence about G3 vs G2, I'm not liking the blown-out red value on photos taken with prerelease models. My number one complaint about the Flex screen is not its 720p rez, it has true pixels and good definition...more than anything the minimum brightness can be TOO BRIGHT which is a weird problem to have.

M8 has better sound if you really have chances to use the speakers, and its low rez rear camera has good absolute contrast which makes Facebook photos pop without color tweaking.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The G3 is rumored to arrive on July 17th for Verizon, Sprint and AT&T. I can understand not wanting to keep the M8 if it is giving you problems, but there may be a short term solution, at least, to hold you over until the G3 arrives.

What are the problems you're having?

(Picked up a used G2 last night.)

This is my second M8. The first one battery life was great, the internet speed wasn't the best, but the camera quit working. Just stopped one day, so I got a replacement from VZW. The replacement, the battery sucks, the internet speed is just around DSL speed, and I still hate the size of the phone ;)

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
(Picked up a used G2 last night.)

This is my second M8. The first one battery life was great, the internet speed wasn't the best, but the camera quit working. Just stopped one day, so I got a replacement from VZW. The replacement, the battery sucks, the internet speed is just around DSL speed, and I still hate the size of the phone ;)

You will probably be happy with the G2. It is a great phone!

I haven't heard of many problems with the M8, certainly not problems with battery life. These issues may be specific to the Verizon version, but I'm not sure. Slow internet is usually caused by your internet connection, or Verizon's network, not the phone.

If you still have it and it is having issues, you should take it back to Verizon and ask for another replacement. No reason to have a defective M8. If they won't replace it, you should give HTC a call and see what they can do.

As for size, if you don't like it, you probably wouldn't have liked the G3; It is about the same size. You may get used to it over time, though.

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You will probably be happy with the G2. It is a great phone!

I haven't heard of many problems with the M8, certainly not problems with battery life. These issues may be specific to the Verizon version, but I'm not sure. Slow internet is usually caused by your internet connection, or Verizon's network, not the phone.

If you still have it and it is having issues, I would take it back to Verizon and ask for another replacement. No reason to have a defective M8. If they won't replace it, you should give HTC a call and see what they can do.

As for size, if you don't like it, you probably wouldn't have liked the G3; It is about the same size. You may get used to it over time, though.

G2 and M8 both on Verizon running a side-by-side Speedtest this morning - M8 6MB down and 12MB up. G2 51MB down and 22MB up. It's not the network.

There are battery life threads around about the M8. It just depends on if you get a good one or a bad one. With a refurbished one, you never know.

My second phone is a G2, so I know I'll like it. As for the size of the M8, it's wasted space is what bothers me. Those speakers, while awesome if you are planing on using them, are just a waste if you are not planning on using them.

I'm going to go into the VZW store and see if I can get them to call HTC and get a "Certified" replacement. We'll see. (I'm still selling it though ;) )

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that my g2 also holds my WiFi better as well. The m8 would sporadically disconnect WiFi, re establish connection, where as the g2 or my wife's Ijunk5s doesn't. It was my second m8, I thought something was wrong with WiFi antenna, so replaced it, same thing on other one. Did some reading and it seems common among the threads. Its annoying because I watch a lot of videos and g2 doesn't compare to m8 audio quality, but like I said in opening post, the g2 does everything faster.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that my g2 also holds my WiFi better as well. The m8 would sporadically disconnect WiFi, re establish connection, where as the g2 or my wife's Ijunk5s doesn't. It was my second m8, I thought something was wrong with WiFi antenna, so replaced it, same thing on other one. Did some reading and it seems common among the threads. Its annoying because I watch a lot of videos and g2 doesn't compare to m8 audio quality, but like I said in opening post, the g2 does everything faster.

Compare a Flex against the G2 in-store. Seriously.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty