LG G3 or HTC One (M8)

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I read tons of post, watched youtube videos and just could not decide on which one to get. Once the G3 was released I rushed down to Att to demo the G3. The G3 is a awesome phone looks great screen was good and it has a removable back case to install goodies is a plus. However the phone did not feel good in my hand I also noticed lag which I was surprised being I demoed the 3gb ram model.

Anyway I ended up with the M8 and I absolutely love this phone. Feels good in my hand, has outstanding battery life, expandable storage life is good. Oh and the camera works great on my phone I have not had any negative experiences with it and for me the U-Focus is pretty cool to use. Lastly this phone is FAST absolutely no lag at all. Good luck on your journey both are great phones.

memphislawyer

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, I got the HTC from an Iphone 4. Everyone that I regularly talked to on the Iphone, with Sprint, says the HTC on TMobile is so much better. Loving the HTC and like you, was thinking the G3. The build quality, the faster processor, well and the battery, Im loving the HTC after 6 days.

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Great post. I will be going from an iPhone 4s to either the g3 or M8. Having a hard time deciding. Still my main concern with the M8 is photo quality and call quality vs.the G3.
The call quality I know is better on the M8 than the G3 and since I only post on social media when it comes to my phone I am no longer worried about the camera.

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I read tons of post, watched youtube videos and just could not decide on which one to get. Once the G3 was released I rushed down to Att to demo the G3. The G3 is a awesome phone looks great screen was good and it has a removable back case to install goodies is a plus. However the phone did not feel good in my hand I also noticed lag which I was surprised being I demoed the 3gb ram model.

Anyway I ended up with the M8 and I absolutely love this phone. Feels good in my hand, has outstanding battery life, expandable storage life is good. Oh and the camera works great on my phone I have not had any negative experiences with it and for me the U-Focus is pretty cool to use. Lastly this phone is FAST absolutely no lag at all. Good luck on your journey both are great phones.

Weird question, but do you have big hands?

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I moved to the M8 from my Note 3. And I have huge hands. (sz 18 ring) and it was a very short transition period. Now I'm actually more comfortable. As I can one hand it much easier. And I absolutely love the UI on the htc over the Sammy. I played with a G3. And I'm confident I made the right choice. My brother just returned his G3 for am M8 after trying mine for a while.

My 0.02

Posted via Android Central App

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I moved to the M8 from my Note 3. And I have huge hands. (sz 18 ring) and it was a very short transition period. Now I'm actually more comfortable. As I can one hand it much easier. And I absolutely love the UI on the htc over the Sammy. I played with a G3. And I'm confident I made the right choice. My brother just returned his G3 for am M8 after trying mine for a while.

My 0.02

That's relieving to hear as far as the transition period, but did your brother specify why he was returning the phone for the M8?

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
He preferred the UI, and loved the premium feel of the phone. And the sound just pushed him over the edge.

Said over all it was a much better user experience over all..

dmullins8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the G3 for 5 days it's a nice phone but it's very buggy right now. It has some great features, but the lag and buggy issues killed it for me. I exchanged the G3 for the M8 and have to tell you I'm glad I did, the M8 is super smooth and I really enjoy how light sense is.

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
He preferred the UI, and loved the premium feel of the phone. And the sound just pushed him over the edge.

Said over all it was a much better user experience over all..

I would have to agree with you. I had the S5 and returned it for the One M8. The M8 just has a totally better UI. Sense 6 is like the iOS of android lol. It's fast, quick and smooth.

Posted via my HTC One M8

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How has the 2GB of RAM held up with multitasking on the M8, that was a concern of mine as well.

Of the 2 GB Ram advertised, my phone reports 1.8 GB available, and routinely only uses about 1.2 GB of that. I expect the amount used to go up over time, but apps seem to be cleaned out rather effectively when I'm done with them. Even the most demanding games run smooth.

While 3 GB ram sounds good, keep in mind the QHD display on the G3 is going to eat up more of that than the M8 screen would. I don't know what the difference in resource usage is between the two displays, but you will take a hit on ram on the G3 and that extra ram may not matter much in the long run. And that's not even taking into consideration that the CPU and GPU is about the same on the two phones.

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Of the 2 GB Ram advertised, my phone reports 1.8 GB available, and routinely only uses about 1.2 GB of that. I expect the amount used to go up over time, but apps seem to be cleaned out rather effectively when I'm done with them. Even the most demanding games run smooth.

While 3 GB ram sounds good, keep in mind the QHD display on the G3 is going to eat up more of that than the M8 screen would. I don't know what the difference in resource usage is between the two displays, but you will take a hit on ram on the G3 and that extra ram may not matter much in the long run. And that's not even taking into consideration that the CPU and GPU is about the same on the two phones.

So does your phone slow down at 1.2 GB used?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not a bit. Even when running my BOINC app at full CPU load in the background, the only thing I notice is a very slight stutter when scrolling. I also noticed the processor in normal mode only runs about half speed at most. When I go to high performance mode in that developer options, BOINC will ramp it up to full speed, but the scrolling lag goes away. Needless to say, this phone has power to spare.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
So does your phone slow down at 1.2 GB used?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I have not had any lag on my M8. I don't think the S5 or G3 would have any lag if their skins were optimized as well as Sense. This phone has a far superior user experience. The M8 hardware is also more premium with real aluminum.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
With the M8, HTC has found its performance mojo. The m8 gives the user mature, error free, butter smooth performance. The UI is uncluttered and intuitive.
HTC has progressed in leaps and bounds since the EVO LTE days. The m8's performance is only rivaled by the iPhone 5s. No other Android device performs as effortlessly as the m8.
IOn the other hand, the G3 is a disappointment. Especially after the rousing debut of the G2 last year. It looked like LG had finally found its voice. The G3 should have been an improvement upon the G2. Taking it to the next level. But that's not the case. Inexplicably, LG harnessed the G3 with screen tech that the device is not ready to handle. The result is a very poor user experience. The look and ergonomics are top notch. But the performance suffers. The screen looks dull and washed out. Outside viewing is awful. The screen is power hungry and eats the battery in gulps. Apps hesitate to open. There's too much stuttering. The device overheats quickly and even produces a pop up box to warn you that the device is too hot. When it warms up, the g3 will automatically dim the screen in an effort to help cool the phone. Callers sound tinny and sometimes robotic on calls.
The G3 definitely is not ready for prime time.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
With the M8, HTC has found its performance mojo. The m8 gives the user mature, error free, butter smooth performance. The UI is uncluttered and intuitive.
HTC has progressed in leaps and bounds since the EVO LTE days. The m8's performance is only rivaled by the iPhone 5s. No other Android device performs as effortlessly as the m8.
IOn the other hand, the G3 is a disappointment. Especially after the rousing debut of the G2 last year. It looked like LG had finally found its voice. The G3 should have been an improvement upon the G2. Taking it to the next level. But that's not the case. Inexplicably, LG harnessed the G3 with screen tech that the device is not ready to handle. The result is a very poor user experience. The look and ergonomics are top notch. But the performance suffers. The screen looks dull and washed out. Outside viewing is awful. The screen is power hungry and eats the battery in gulps. Apps hesitate to open. There's too much stuttering. The device overheats quickly and even produces a pop up box to warn you that the device is too hot. When it warms up, the g3 will automatically dim the screen in an effort to help cool the phone. Callers sound tinny and sometimes robotic on calls.
The G3 definitely is not ready for prime time.

I was going to respond with pretty much the same gripe about the screen. While it is a 4K screen, bigger didnt mean better in this case. That's a lot of pixels for the rest of the phone's hardware to support, and its just not beefy enough for it.

ZombieBreath

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently debating between these 2 phones at the moment and was all set on the G3 until I played with one in a shop briefly this evening.

Its a great phone, but I also tried a M8 and the M8 was certainly faster and smoother. I also liked the tone of the M8s screen more.

I need to have a proper look at both of them but having played with both the decision isn't as clear cut as I had thought.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently debating between these 2 phones at the moment and was all set on the G3 until I played with one in a shop briefly this evening.

Its a great phone, but I also tried a M8 and the M8 was certainly faster and smoother. I also liked the tone of the M8s screen more.

I need to have a proper look at both of them but having played with both the decision isn't as clear cut as I had thought.

I'd recommend you make a list of what you think is the positives of each. Then rule out the positives they both share. Of the remaining positives of each determine which of those would apply to the way you have used a phone in the past, and plan to use it going forward.

Examples:
HTC One m8 has better speakers/sound system. (If you don't normally listen to music on your phone or watch videos on your phone then this may not be that useful to you, but if you plan to listen to more music, or watch more videos on your phone then you may want to weigh this perk more heavily).

HTC One m8 has free screen replacement if you break it during the first six months. (If you've never dropped your phone, or you've only done it a few times, making minor drops, and put thick/durable cases and screen protectors on your phone then this may not be as important. However you may want to keep in mind that one small accident can quickly lead to an unexpected break, and also factor in the environment you leave your phone when not secured to your person - could someone or something you are often around accidentally break it).

Battery life: Historically have you had your phone die on you because your battery ran out? Have you had it happen often? If so, you may want to go with the one with the longer battery life. Make sure you factor in which carrier you have. There can be dramatic differences between the battery life on same model phones between one carrier's model and the other's.

Responsiveness and crashes: Which one launches the applications you use most faster? Have there been many reports of apps you use a lot crashing on either of those phones? (Keep in mind forums can make things look like more of an issue then they may be. A few people having an issue are more likely to post then a bunch of people who have a smooth trouble free experience). My old phone (Samsung Stratosphere) had a habit of crashing out of web browsers to the home screen without any error message. My new phone I have yet to experience a crash from any application I've used.

Software Updates: How important are software updates and bug fixes to you, and are you someone who wants them right away when they're released or are you someone who is ok with waiting to receive your updates even if its months after someone with the other phone might get them. Both companies may be good about distributing updates, but one vendor may distribute updates more often then another. Your carrier may also be a factor in what updates you get, and when (if ever) you get them. Does that matter to you?

Generally its better to go with a system you know will work the way you want now as opposed to hoping that a buggy or weak feature will be fixed/improved somewhere down the line.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If you want reliable, mature, error free performance, then the m8 is the way to go.
With the G3, LG is chasing specs to the detriment of the user experience. The g3's engine can't keep up with the screen and performance suffers greatly. I want a smooth, cohesive, reliable user experience. G3 cannot supply that. I don't want to have to wait until my device cools down sufficiently before I can resume watching my videos. Or constantly worry about overheating and watching the screen dim in order to aid in cooling. I don't want a battery that suffers dramatically due to all the juice the uneccessarily juiced up screen requires.
The m8 offers a consistent performance. Day in and day out. The G3 is just too buggy. I'm amazed LG released it in that condition. Chasing specs. User experience be damned.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty