Why is my HTC saving all these images from apps?

Mitchell Hillhouse

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure if this has been asked before but I searched and the only similar situation I could find was another thread about the 9gag app but the solution to that was with the app devs.

I downloaded two game apps (monster squad and i can't remember the other one now) and they were both saving a buttload of images to my gallery. I have no idea if these images were included in the app size or if they're duplicates or what I just don't want to be able to see them and I don't want them being downloaded (if they are) after app installation and using more data and space. In the photos app they were all just sitting there below all the photos I've taken and in the Gallery app they were all divided into one pic per album spanning back to almost a year before I actually owned this phone.
I've gone through settings all morning trying to find something relevant and I uninstalled both apps but the images remained. I had to use my computer to delete them all quickly otherwise it would have taken AGES to tick them all and delete via phone.

Any help?? plz.

If the solution is with the individual app devs again then it looks like I'm going to have a really boring phone with no apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Apps may store images in their folders, or cache thumbnails from the web (for example, a bunch of avatars of other players if you're playing a socially connected game). Any image in your folders will appear in the Gallery. If you want to use the app, you have to accept the fact that it will save some images locally. If you erase those images or folders, the app will likely redownload them.

You can prevent them from showing up in the Gallery by using most any file manager app (like ES File Explorer), and adding a blank file called ".nomedia" to the folder in question. This will instruct the system's Media Scanner to ignore that folder and any subfolders when searching for new photos or other media. Afterwards, to clear out the images from your Gallery, you may have to go to Settings>Apps>All​, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. When you open Gallery again, the database will repopulate, this time without those images.

rsii96

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I see this is an old question so I hope someone can clarify the answer for me a bit. hw do i add a file .nomedia to the game i am playing? i loaded es file and i dont know how to stop the game i play from loading pics to my phone, each time i transfer pics to anoter device, it loads every pic from this game.. over 16000 at last count... how can i stop this?

rsii96

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
btw these pics do not show up in the gallery, they are no where to be found on my phone, it also saves all my cars from real racing 3. i dont want all that crap on my phone. it eating up phone and tablet space.