Buying used, anything to watch out for?

j j6

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm going to go see a used m8 to buy, I will have some time to see the phone before buying. Anything I should look out for before forking the cash over?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Test the camera fully. HTC Ones are notorious for developing a purplish tint, which has to do with a damaged sensor

SuzyD313

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Make sure plugging the micro USB into the charging port isn't wonky, and makes a good connection every time. On mine, the cable needs to be wiggled into a "just so" position before a charge begins, and sometimes, even though charging, the phone will lose power rather than gaining, even when turned off. (I have no idea what it's doing, but it loses more battery power "charging" than it would just being off and doing nothing.) Other times, once wiggled into place, it charges normally. The phone had never been handled roughly, but with the port on the bottom, it's too easy to inadvertently lean it on the cable when using it while plugged in, and if the port isn't stable to begin with, this sort of issue can develop.

I'm still in warranty, and will be receiving a replacement shortly. As a precaution, I've bought a Qi wireless charging receiver adapter and charging pad (very reasonably priced, off Amazon), so inserting the adapter into the brand new port and keeping it there should keep it from ever becoming unstable with use.

Other than this one issue, I absolutely love this phone, it's amazing. Enjoy!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thing about the camera--if the images look fuzzy, it's probably due to fine scratches in the oleophobic coating of the camera lens, which can be easily corrected by putting a small amount of toothpaste on a Q tip, rubbing it onto the lens for about 30 seconds, then buffing it off with a microfiber cloth. That will get rid of the coating, but it's really questionable what good the coating was for in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez