Why do i get poor battery life on htc one m8?

AleexxM8

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I am running 4.4.4 and there has been the GPS symbol showing up even when my GPS is off and I am not sure if this is why. I unplugged my phone off at 7am and it is now 2:45pm and it is at 32% with very minimal usage. I've used a bit of Snapchat and Instagram as well as some texts. Its very little and i used to get through a day with at least 40% still remaining when I was going to bed. Im not using a launcher or anything of that sort so I don't know why! Any one have any ideas or similar problems with the GPS symbol showing up even when its off?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Just FYI, you're using a launcher - that's what the desktop, dock and app drawer are.

2) There may be a hardware problem with the GPS, and it may be killing the battery. The phone should still be under warranty, so have it replaced just for the "GPS not turning off" issue. (Back up everything - your data goes with your phone. [Don't worry, they'll do a factory reset before they drop it into the "return" box.])

3) Never let the battery drop below 40% if you can help it (especially in a phone you can't replace the battery in without paying through the nose). 50% is the ideal charge point, 40$ won't shorten the life of the battery very much, waiting until the phone tells you to charge it will give you 5 months to a year of battery life. (And the battery usually isn't covered by the warranty.)

AleexxM8

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
By launcher I meant Nova or action launcher. I used nova as well but I felt my battery life decreased from it which is why I went back to stock sense but it's the same. I do not have a lot of apps and I already did a hard reset once which seemed to get get me battery life but now I a, back to poor life.

anon(9320636)

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
That is odd case....
Could you please take a picture for the setting...

I think that will be: Settings>Location>Location:Off but show GPS icon on the title bar... is it?

mugenlude19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd 110% disagree that 50% is the ideal charge point. The best thing for your battery is for it to die before every charge. This will prolong its life the most.

Please don't spread misinformation.

M8/360

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
There have been other posts regarding gps issues. The temp fix is under running apps in settings choose android systems and stop iqs

Posted via the Android Central App

AleexxM8

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
It is completely off but the icon will appear at random times while I am using the phone. It will show for a few seconds then dissapear.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd 110% disagree that 50% is the ideal charge point. The best thing for your battery is for it to die before every charge. This will prolong its life the most.

M8/360

Can you site anything to back that up?

Here is a few sites that agree to charge often to reduce Depth of discharge:

'One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. '
from: Ask Ars: The best way to use a lithium-ion battery, redux | Ars Technica

'To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 percent as much as possible. For the most part, going from all the way full to all the way empty won't help; in fact, it'll do a little damage if you do it too often.'
from: How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

'Perform shallow discharges.'
from: How Often Should I Charge My Gadget's Battery to Prolong Its Lifespan?

A couple of the sites are referring to this one: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

with Depth of discharge explained here: Battery Discharge Methods – Battery University

Rukbat's own battery guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/479461-guide-my-battery-shot.html

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you site anything to back that up?

Here is a few sites that agree to charge often to reduce Depth of discharge:

'One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. '
from: Ask Ars: The best way to use a lithium-ion battery, redux | Ars Technica

'To get the most out of a lithium-ion battery, you should try to keep it north of 50 percent as much as possible. For the most part, going from all the way full to all the way empty won't help; in fact, it'll do a little damage if you do it too often.'
from: How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

'Perform shallow discharges.'
from: How Often Should I Charge My Gadget's Battery to Prolong Its Lifespan?

A couple of the sites are referring to this one: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

with Depth of discharge explained here: Battery Discharge Methods – Battery University

Rukbat's own battery guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/479461-guide-my-battery-shot.html

I have to agree with Golf on this.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

M8/360

Letting your battery die will actually ruin it quicker. These aren't the ni-cad/nimh days where you had memory and had to deplete to get rid of the affect.

Each time you let a Lithium battery die, you lose a percentage of it's overall capacity. So let's say you let it die once a week for a year.. each time you let it die, lets say you lose 1% of it's overall capacity. By the end of that year, your full 100% charge will only be 52% of what it was when it was original.

YOU need to stop spreading misinformation. :)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
OP. The M8 has a diagnostic test you can run. Dial *#*#3424#*#* and then when the HTC Menu pops up, click Accept.

At the bottom, click More and then select "Battery Test" and then select Run. You'll need to be fully charged to 100% before you run this.

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site

M8/360

I agree. I allow mine to discharge weekly and talk a lot and can get through the day

Binxiboobear

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
It is completely off but the icon will appear at random times while I am using the phone. It will show for a few seconds then dissapear.

There is another forum (Massive battery drain-gps....), that a few people, including myself with the same issue. It has something to do with the Android system and iq agent. Getting the phone replaced doesn't fix it. I sent mine to HTC for repair and it still has it.
Hope that helps.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I allow mine to discharge weekly and talk a lot and can get through the day

If you don't care that you're killing your battery quicker, than by all means continue to let it deplete.

Tons of tests and in depth articles on batteryuniversity.com have shown that letting them die kills them quicker.

Sent from my Nexus 6

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
What is that battery test for?
I´ve got much worst battery since the Lollipop update, Android System app is the main contributer...

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What is that battery test for?
I´ve got much worst battery since the Lollipop update, Android System app is the main contributer...

It boots your phone into a mode where it's not running any apps.. it then leaves the screen on for 1 hour and lets the battery deplete by I believe 10%. It logs how long it takes that 10% to deplete and then tells you if you have a bad battery(it depleted more than 10%) or not..

EDIT: or maybe it logs how much has depleted within that hour.. I can't remember, been awhile.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. But I don't think I have a damaged battery since I had great battery life before Lollipop.
I went to the advanced settings on wifi and turned off "scan for wifi even when it's off", I will see if that helps

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. But I don't think I have a damaged battery since I had great battery life before Lollipop.
I went to the advanced settings on wifi and turned off "scan for wifi even when it's off", I will see if that helps

All lithium ion batteries have a max charge life. Usually they are about 1000-1500 charge cycles? this means if you let it deplete to a certain % and then fully recharge it, that's 1 charge cycle. Each time you do this, you lose a very tiny % of it's overall capacity, there's no avoiding this.. all lithium ion batterys function this way, from your laptop battery, to your cell phone, to anything that uses lithium ion.

After about the first year, your brand new, 100% battery will have a capacity of about maybe 90%. This means that even though you see it's charged to 100%, you're only getting 90% capacity.

Imagine taking your gas tank and installing a separator in it cutting off 10% of your gas tank.. that 10% is unusable because it's now considered "bad" by your car, so when you fill it up, your gas gauge shows 100%, but you are only filling it to 90% of it's original 100% capacity. Lithium Ions work in this exact same manner. As the process of charge/discharge happens, corrosion happens and it marks those parts of the battery as bad and it wont use them any longer.

If you let your battery deplete to 0% frequently, instead of maybe 10% lost the first year, you'll lose 15-20% of overall capacity.