How to stop whatsapp popup notifications from flashing on my screen?

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
On lollipop whenever I use whatsapp and get messages new messages through, a popup notification appears on my screen. This is proving to be annoying especially when I'm reading or on another app as it covers what I was reading.

In whatsapp there's an option to select no popup but it doesn't seem to work.

Also i don't want the preview of the message to be seen but can't figure out how to disable this. I'm coming from the iPhone where it was possible.

Any ideas?

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Even sent whatsapp a message about it but they never answered. It didn't happen until the lollipop update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
The Heads Up Notification (the pop up that appears on top of the screen when you get a WhatsApp message) is one of the most annoying features on the HTC One M8, and there is nothing you can do to disable it. I emailed HTC to ask them for advise and they said there is no way of disabling it. So it's a case of hoping WhatsApp can bring in an option to disable this, or to disable all notifications (which isn't the best option).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The Heads Up Notification (the pop up that appears on top of the screen when you get a WhatsApp message) is one of the most annoying features on the HTC One M8, and there is nothing you can do to disable it. I emailed HTC to ask them for advise and they said there is no way of disabling it. So it's a case of hoping WhatsApp can bring in an option to disable this, or to disable all notifications (which isn't the best option).
The heads up notifications are an Android "feature," and not something HTC implemented on their own. So any complaints about it should be directed at Google. I'm not a fan of them (and seems 99.999% of the internet isn't either), but that's where we're at now. Your only options are to try convincing Google and the app developers to at least make these optional, or maybe see if there's a rooting/rom method to stop it.

Mystikal777

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
The heads up notifications are an Android "feature," and not something HTC implemented on their own. So any complaints about it should be directed at Google. I'm not a fan of them (and seems 99.999% of the internet isn't either), but that's where we're at now. Your only options are to try convincing Google and the app developers to at least make these optional, or maybe see if there's a rooting/rom method to stop it.

You're right, it is a Google feature. The problem is that you CAN disable them in certain other branded handsets, but you cannot disable them on HTC phones. So what HTC have done is overlooked this aspect with their last software update.

pedro guy

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue. If you set your settings to no pop up you also have to change notification to silent and vibrate off. If you do all 3 it doesn't pop up only an icon appears in task bar and indicator light blinks. Hope this helps 😉

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87