Do Not Disturb wrecked by Lollipop, embarrassment ensues

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Not to be confused with the thread, " What happened to Do Not Disturb in lollipop?" (I can't post a link).

I have an M8 on T-Mobile. The Lollipop update introduced bugs and slowness to my M8 experience, which changes the phone's personality. For example, I have many times not been able to pull up a keyboard inside a search field or other appropriate text-entry situation. When that happens I've only been able to pull up a keyboard after a restart. I've performed a hard reset (twice) but the problem persists.

But the most annoying new problem seems to arise from the addition of a feature, and I'm hoping someone here can advise me on how to disable it. The "Do Not Disturb" toggle is accessible with a two-fingered pulldown of the notification shade. To my way of thinking, I should be able to turn that on and rest assured that my phone won't start making noises or talking to me through those loud Boomsound speakers in inappropriate situations. But I've made the mistake of triggering a voice-command feature that has brought me unwanted attention just by touching the phone the wrong way. I hear a loud burst of tones and I see a black screen showing the words, "Speak. Here are commands you can say. Call Ben Carter or call 5551212." I say nothing and then the phone speaks the words, "No matches found. Please say that again." I've experimented with this and it can be induced with a downward swipe across the screen while the screen is off. I'm guessing this is an example of the Moto X's voice command capability filtering into Lollipop but I don't want it. If you know how to get rid of this, please let me know. Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a motion launch gesture that was a part of the M8 even on Kit Kat. To disable that one specifically, go to settings > Display & Gestures > Motion Launch Gestures. Uncheck the Quick Call option and you should be set. You can also explore the other motion gestures there if you're interested.

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Great! Thanks, Mooncatt!

I guess I had turned off that motion launch gesture on Kit Kat, and then it was turned back on by default with the update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch