How much storage needed?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Next weekend I'm going to be in a charity convoy and thinking about using my M8 as a dash cam to record the trip. The distance itself should take about an hour, but I figured I'd like to be able to record up to 2 hours to account for some of the staging and then the final blocks when coming off the highway on the way to the gathering spot at the end.

Any idea how much space I'd need for two hours recording at full 1080p 60fps, or at lower resolutions/frame rates? Obviously I'm going to need to put this on an external sd card, so I want to make sure I get one big enough.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, and that's about what I came up with in testing. A 30 min video I recorded at full HD 60fps ran about 4.25 GB (oddly enough, 1080p @ 30fps was estimated by the phone to use the same amount of space). Before posting this, I had found a chart, and it listed some pretty high numbers that just didn't seem right. I was able to clear out a lot of space on my internal and sd card, so I should have enough. Still may get a 32 GB card not only to record it all, but also have room for pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa