Turn off Caller ID by Google?

karinagw

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Turn off Caller ID by Google

My 5 month old M9 lost the will to live, so Verizon sent me a new one.

This new one seems to have Caller ID by Google(?) turned on by default.

I cannot begin to express how much I hate this feature. I want my unknowns to come in as Unknown. However, I can find no place to turn this off.

Running stock Android 6 (I swear my last phone was something like 6.01, but Update says I am up to date) from Verizon (I'm using Nova Launcher, but I can't think that would have anything to do with it).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is genuinely enough to make me consider buying a new phone at retail.

Thanks/k

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Turn off Caller ID by Google

My 5 month old M9 lost the will to live, so Verizon sent me a new one.

This new one seems to have Caller ID by Google(?) turned on by default.

I cannot begin to express how much I hate this feature. I want my unknowns to come in as Unknown. However, I can find no place to turn this off.

Running stock Android 6 (I swear my last phone was something like 6.01, but Update says I am up to date) from Verizon (I'm using Nova Launcher, but I can't think that would have anything to do with it).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is genuinely enough to make me consider buying a new phone at retail.

Thanks/k

Seems like the option is gone. You might want to send HTC a tweet, let them know you're a little disappointed, and move elsewhere if it's that annoying.

Wish I had better news - sorry.

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Caller ID settings are usually done through the carrier, such as a keypad code entered through the phone.

karinagw

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I am getting more used to seeing the names instead of Unknown, but I still prefer the old way.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is not by Google. Carriers usually have a deal with certain software maker to promote the special caller id feature baked into the carrier phone as part of bloatware. It will be on the new phone activated for a week or so. Then, it will either auto-disable itself or if you want to keep the feature, you will have to pay a monthly fee to use it.