HTC ONE MAX phone will not fully charge - Stops at 35%

ariday1980

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello, everyone! I'm new to this site, and I desperately need your help and expertise. I recently purchased a used Verizon HTC ONE MAX, however, the battery only charges up to 35%. I can leave it charging all day and night, and will not go above 35%. I have tried looking for solutions on the internet, but I have not been able to resolve it. One of the recommendations is to calibrate it, but the app tells me I have to root it first. I also have to let you know I'm not programming saavy. I can follow instructions to the dot, but that's about it. I'm sorry If I sound like an *****, but I don't know what else to try. Do you guys now why it's doing this? What can I do to fix it?

Another question I have, by reading topics on the internet, it said that the Verizon HTC ONE MAX is already factory unlocked due to FCC regulations, is this true? I have not activated it to my carrier yet.

THANK YOU

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First of all, what was the seller's return policy? It'd be good to know if you have the option to return it for a refund if it turns out to be a lemon. eBay usually offers buyer protection as well, so look into that.

Second, are you using the official HTC charger? If not, it's possible a 3rd party charger might not be fully compatible, in which case you should try another cable (ideally one that was intended for the One Max). If you do have the official HTC charger, it's always possible that the cable or the charging block is faulty. Again, you could try another cable to see if that helps.

Third, have you tried a full factory data reset? If there is something odd going on with the system's battery monitor, then a factory reset might correct it. Of course, it will wipe your phone, so make sure all of your data is backed up or synced first.

Regarding unlocked phones--the major wireless companies agreed last December that all of their phones would eventually be unlockable, but there was no firm timetable given (U.S. Wireless Carriers Agree To Make Unlocking Your Cell Phone Easier). The best thing for you to do would be to call Verizon and just ask them about your phone.

ariday1980

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello, thank you for the prompt response.

Unfortunately I cannot return it, I bought it on craigslist. (yeah, I know...not good). It does have a clean IMEI.

No, I'm not using an original HTC charger, I'm using a generic one. I will try to obtain an original to see if it helps. Yes, the phone had a factory reset when I bought it (everything was wiped). I guess it doesn't hurt to do it again. I currently do not have any information on it.

Do you think calibrating the battery will help?

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My experience with HTC phone are that the chargers go bad with rough handling. You should be able to find another for a decent price. As a rule of thumb you should always have at least three chargers in case one goes bad.

centauress

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately I cannot return it, I bought it on craigslist. (yeah, I know...not good). It does have a clean IMEI.

No, I'm not using an original HTC charger, I'm using a generic one. I will try to obtain an original to see if it helps. Yes, the phone had a factory reset when I bought it (everything was wiped). I guess it doesn't hurt to do it again. I currently do not have any information on it.

Okay, in order:

Lucky you, clean IMEI.

You'll need a charger that delivers at least 5V DC at 1.5A. If you look close at the one you're using, I'll bet it says 1A/1000 mA. Try to get a 2A if you can't find a 1.5A, but go no lower than 1.2A or the phone will not charge.

Calibration won't hurt, but I think your problem is physical, not internal.

wootness001

May 25, 2016
Visit site

Did you ever figure out how to fix your problem? I'm currently having the same problem with my m8 and the only thing I could find online about an HTC not charging past 35% is this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa