Blank text when responding to group texts

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My daughter has an HTC One Max. We are often sending group messages with family members. Whenever she response to a group text, the response is blank. Any idea's why?

Thanks

Daryl

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this will help, but make sure she has her mobile data on when she responds. Group texts are sent as MMS (which requires mobile data to be on), not SMS. If she doesn't have mobile data on, maybe the message isn't getting through, but the fact that she is trying to respond does get through.

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
That's a good thought. I had not thought of that.

I do not have access to the phone, so I can't look at the settings myself, and my daughter is very technically challenged. Can you tell me where in the settings to look? I myself have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and in my settings I have "Group Messaging, Send a single message to multiple recipients". Would it be the same on the HTC One Max? If I ask my daughter to look at the settings without specific information, she'd be lost. :D

Thank you.

Daryl

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If her mobile data is on, she should see a 3G or 4G indicator in the notification bar. She can also check to see if mobile data is on by swiping down from the top of the screen with two fingers to bring the Quick Settings screen up. The Mobile Data toggle should be there on an HTC phone.

Not sure about the group messaging setting. You could ask her to look through her Messaging app's settings to see if there's something similar.

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks B Diddy. I shot her a text to see if she could poke around a bit and look at settings. I'll keep you posted.

Daryl

OGee27

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
We are having the same issue on my wife's new HTC

Wife's phone has group messaging enabled, mobile data is turned on. I've changed a bunch of settings but she it makes no difference. Now, she is able to send individual text messages just fine. So far, we haven't found anyone to whom she can send group messages but I am on a Sprint MotoX, her phone is on Verizon. Prior to getting the new phone, group text messages worked just fine.

Under text messages and then connection settings I found some fields that are blank. These include MMS prox and MMS port.

Also, I was considering trying a new messaging app like Messages+ but don't want to buy an app until/unless I think that is a likely solution.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
B Diddy,

I finally had the opportunity to look at my daughter's phone. Mobile data is on and Group Messaging is turned on.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Daryl

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, not sure what else to try. Is she using the stock Messaging app? Try a different app, like Hangouts, to send and receive SMS/MMS.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

rosede

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about suggesting that myself. I used to use Handcent. I think that I'll suggest that to her.

Thank you for the help.

Daryl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty