Rooted my phone, don't have root access

Talywhackin

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi, new here. Decided to root my Sprint HTC One, recently. Read a lot, watched the videos and dove in. I downloaded Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Installed the Clockworkmod Recovery, and the CWM Superuser app. Phone works fine, but doesn't have root access. When I check the Superuser app, it gives me an error about the binary not being updated, when I choose Recovery Install (only other option being cancel) I get a follow up error saying it didn't work, report to the developer. (See attatched pictures).

The phone currently runs as normal, I have full function, and have noticed no issues. I have tried TWRP (first actually, but didn't work right). I have fastboot capabilities, but the one time I've tried ADB, it didn't seem to work. Attempted to push the .zip update/install file from the CWM Recovery PlayStore page. Didn't work, so I just downloaded it direct to my phone and installed it that way. Still doesn't work. I've been through dozens of threads about root access problems after install, and tried many different methods to get this to work, and to no avail.

**From what I can figure figure out, it seems like just the binary needs to be properly updated, but I cannot figure out how to get it to do so.**

Specs:
Windows 7, been using the PowerShell x86 prompt, with more success than the base cmd prompt.
HTC One from Sprint
Developer options accessed
Bootloader unlocked
CWM Recovery Touch 6.0.4.8
Android 5.0.2
HTC Sense 6.0
Software version 6.23.651.6
CWM Superuser app (downloaded direct to phone from the .zip file on the CWM Play store page, installed through CWM Recovery)

fastboot and ADB installed

I feel like I'm missing some more info, but I don't know what else will help y'all help me. Headed out of town for the weekend right after work tomorrow, so won't be able to spend much time actually testing possible fixes till Monday, but would really appreciate any input. TIA.

In the mean time, I'll just be over here..
TalyWhackin'
Screenshot_2015-07-30-12-02-38.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-30-12-02-54.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Installing the Superuser app doesn't root the phone, it controls which apps get root. It's the binary, su, that actually gives root access. And you have to be rooted to install it (or install it into the ROM before you flash the ROM to the phone), which is why some updates take many months before someone figures out a bug that gives them temporary root to allow their app to install su.

So you'll have to find a rooting app or method for the version of Android you're running, for an HTC One, and run it to root the ROM. (And you'll probably have to do it again after the next update, and every one after that. That's one reason a lot of people disable the update app once they're rooted - they don't update until there's a way to root the new update.)

Last edited:

Talywhackin

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
You need to flash Superuser in recovery, Download the zip in this link and flash it recovery

you must have 10 posts to post links

I'm pretty sure this is one of the fix attempts I've tried, or I did this in the original steps, but I'd have to double check. To clarify, this is something I can do with just my phone correct? As in, I can download the .zip file direct to my phone, then go into CWM Recovery and and do the "install .zip" option without needed a computer involved. I currently have that .zip file on my phone, so I'm pretty sure i've done that. Thanks for the suggestion, regardless if I've done it, I'll try it again.

Installing the Superuser app doesn't root the phone, it controls wqhich apps get root. It's the binary, su, that actually gives root access. And you have to be rooted to install it (or install it into the ROM before you flash the ROM to the phone), which is why some updates take many months before someone figures out a bug that gives them temporary root to allow their app to install su.

So you'll have to find a rooting app or method for the version of Android you're running, for an HTC One, and run it to root the ROM. (And you'll probably have to do it again after the next update, and every one after that. That's one reason a lot of people disable the update app once they're rooted - they don't update until there's a way to root the new update.)

I appreciate the input, but this doesn't really help me any. I'm not really sure what you mean, and I read the first paragraph as the paradox of "You have to have root to root" which is obviously not 100% accurate. Could you clarify your statements a little bit? As I said above, I'm pretty sure I've flashed that .zip file, but it's not something that shows up anywhere I know of to get version info, etc., so it's not listed above.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you flashed the superuser zip in recovery then you would have root. I recommend TWRP recovery as it stays updated. And yes you can download to your phone. Try flashing again but look after it flashes and see if it flashed or if there was a error. Here is the link for TWRP. Make sure you use the zip in the link i posted for the supersu

https://dl.twrp.me/hima/

Talywhackin

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
If you flashed the superuser zip in recovery then you would have root. I recommend TWRP recovery as it stays updated. And yes you can download to your phone. Try flashing again but look after it flashes and see if it flashed or if there was a error. Here is the link for TWRP. Make sure you use the zip in the link i posted for the supersu

Thanks for the help. Reflashed that .zip file using recovery. Got a message when I went to reboot system about root access may have changed, do I want to repair. Gambled on yes, and now I have root access through the os.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Reflashed that .zip file using recovery. Got a message when I went to reboot system about root access may have changed, do I want to repair. Gambled on yes, and now I have root access through the os.

Cool glad you got it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress