HTC One not connecting to Windows 7 laptop

iancoady

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm not particularly tech savvy but for the past 12 months I've been having real problems getting my HTC One to connect to my laptop by any means.

I'm not sure which O/S install caused the problems but based on previous threads I'm guessing Jelly Bean.
I'm running Android 4.4.3 on an HTC One with a Windows 7 laptop. Since the issue cropped up any time I plug the phone into the laptop I get the message "USB device not recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it"

I've tried a few things to try and resolve it, none of which have worked so far.

• Changing the USB cable
  • Switching the phone to developer mode and switching USB debugging on
  • Installing HTC Sync Manager
  • Uninstalling HTC Sync Manager and installing HTC Sync
  • Booting the laptop up with the device already attached

None of these can even get my laptop to even recognise that the phone is connected. If I check under the device manager it shows up as a generic USB device with no drivers even though the HTC drivers are on the computer.

On a perhaps related note I've noticed whenever I connect my phone to the charger I get the pop up saying to connect my phone to an HTC charger for a faster charge, even though all my chargers are HTC ones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried connecting your phone to another computer? Does it get recognized there?

Also, try a different USB cable, because cables can fail. If the problem persists with different cables, then it's also possible the phone's microUSB port is faulty. This would require a visit to a cellphone repair shop to evaluate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699