Picked up my new HTC One X today. Issues with Google Voice?

snappjay

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I love the new phone. Came from an iPhone 4 for a couple years, then used a Galaxy Note for a few weeks (too damn big) and traded it in for the HTC One X. I'm also a big fan of Google Voice. It worked perfectly on the iPhone 4 and Galaxy Note.

I turn on the phone and the first thing I do is install GV. Get to the "Setup Voicemail" step and click "Configure". I then have the option between "My Carrier" and "Google Voice". Of course, I select Google Voice. The error I'm getting is "Failed to retrieve and save current forwarding number settings. Do you want to switch to the new provider anyway?" I click Yes. Next error is "Forwarding number change unsuccessful. Please contact your carrier if this problem persists." The only thing to click now is "OK" and go through the voicemail setup process again.

It's odd because I never had a GV voicemail issue on the iPhone 4 or Galaxy Note. Is anyone else having issues with their HTC One X and Google Voice Voicemail?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Go into the settings at voice.google.com and deactivate your phone and reactivate it. The deactivate step will give a code to enter in your phone...skip that. Next, click on activate this phone and it will give you a string to dial...something like *004*yourgooglevoicenumber# or something like that. That should fix ya up.

Reactions: lsutigers03

pheltzer

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my One S. I've activated/deactivated using the code from google and I still can't get it to accept GV as my voicemail on my phone. Any other thoughts?

ndc

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the g-voicemail-less line and frustrated...

UPDATE: I tried it again and it seems to have worked.

Last edited:

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Using that code will still show as my carrier under your voicemail settings but your calls should be forwarded to your google voice...give yourself a test call

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Go into the settings at voice.google.com and deactivate your phone and reactivate it. The deactivate step will give a code to enter in your phone...skip that. Next, click on activate this phone and it will give you a string to dial...something like *004*yourgooglevoicenumber# or something like that. That should fix ya up.

This worked for me. I tested it and got a text notification a few seconds after I left a message and I was able to hear my message.

shane.green

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it worked for me yet, but I did learn that--at least in my case--dialing any of the codes to enable/disable GV gave an error message *when* connected to wifi (i.e., WiFi calling in effect). The same codes gave no errors when I turned off wifi; in fact they indicated success.

anon(331562)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well this WORKS in that it sets the Call Forwarding for busy and unanswered incoming calls to your google voice number, and then the Google Voice app will notify you when you have a voicemail, but it just bypasses the phone's voicemail, because the phone still thinks you're using AT&T's service. I've heard elsewhere that HTC blocks users from changing the answering service...not sure if there's way around it...

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The voicemail settings in Android is confusing. The part most people should worry about is "Call forwarding". That is where the numbers need to be correct for calls to go to your GV. Just entering the "*004*..." code works to remedy that.

As far as the actual "Voicemail settings" in the menu, that is to tell the phone what to call when you are checking your voicemail, eg. pressing and holding #1. If you happened to have the GV app then this is not a problem but for people who like to call in to listen to their voicemails then I have found that if you enter the MMI code and the call forwarding settings have changed correctly then you can go to "Voicemail settings" and when you select "Google Voice" immediately press the "Home" button. That should make it stick, just go back and take a look to see if it did. Hope this helps.

anon(331562)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, immediately pressing the home button prevents the error message from appearing, but when I go back to the settings it's still set to "My carrier"

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, immediately pressing the home button prevents the error message from appearing, but when I go back to the settings it's still set to "My carrier"

Is this after you had already gone through the "Setup" in the GV app and after you have successfully changed the "Call forwarding" settings using the *004* code?

Try it a couple of times. It has worked for me on my last 4 phones (Atrix, Skyrocket, Note, and One X)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that I was also receiving this error when it was on LTE.

My phone suddenly dropped into HSPA+ and for some reason when I tried after the failed message, it stuck! now it seems to be working..

EDIT: NM, it seemed to stick, but a few minutes later I went in and it was back to My Carrier.

So what does "deactivate/activate" mean.. delete the # entirely from the list and add new?

anon(331562)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Huh...well I ended up hitting home when I got the FIRST error message and that made the Google Voice option stick, but when I press and hold #1 it still dials the AT&T mailbox so I don't think the setting ACTUALLY stuck

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. And I can actually seem to change call forwarding numbers at will through the settings menu, though *004* works as well...

One thing I noticed is that I was also receiving this error when it was on LTE.

My phone suddenly dropped into HSPA+ and for some reason when I tried after the failed message, it stuck! now it seems to be working..

EDIT: NM, it seemed to stick, but a few minutes later I went in and it was back to My Carrier.

So what does "deactivate/activate" mean.. delete the # entirely from the list and add new?

Sorry I couldn't be more help, it works for me everytime. :(

0ef3c7f1.png

anon(331562)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm able to change the voicemail number......seems ridiculous that I can't make the phone recognize the google voice app if I'm able to change all the settings it's trying to change anyway... Incidentally, does anyone know a way to find the AT&T voicemail number after removing it from your phone?

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Siberianhusky

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have setup GV fine and the messages come to the phone, but are you guys getting sound notifications that the message was left or even that there is a message in the box. I have to check manually after a missed call. I have checked all the notification settings in the app