After 31 days with my At&t One X... it was stolen

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Got mugged last night and my At&t One X is now in the wind. Just missed the boat on signing up for the insurance, so looks like I'm buying a replacement at full cost. At least at this point, it gives me the option of returning it for the GS3 when that comes out. Although, I really love the camera and screen on the One X and am willing to put up with the multitasking "features" to keep them.

Anyway, I would appreciate some help here...

My ordeal with the police took several hours, so it was about 3 hours after the crime itself took place that I was even able to get home and try to locate/lock/wipe the phone with Lookout. So far, 24 hours after it was stolen, I haven't been able to connect with the device. The battery was getting low at the time, but I am thinking the SIM card was probably removed/replaced and that is why I still can't connect with it. Does that seem accurate?

I used a pattern screen lock, so I'm hoping they weren't able to acces the contents of my phone, but am curious as to what data will still be left on the phone after a SIM card is replaced.

Also, when I get a new phone, how much effort will it take to restore my phone to the way it was?
Will any of the settings/home screens carry over?
Will it automatically download the apps I had on my phone (and at the same time, ignore the ones that are only on my tablet)?
Do the apps have saved data in the cloud (e.g. progress in games)?

Thanks!

icewater106

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can download android lost on to your phone from your computer and if you gmail is still in that phone then you can
Do a lot of things like turn on gps take pictures etc...
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: mikeenu

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I wish someone would try to mug me and take my phone. I'd take great pleasure in beating them half to death.

Hope they catch the guy, though Police don't seem to be concerned with catching criminals who commit these types of crimes. Theft is a "victimless" crime, unless you had been physically assaulted. Apparently, speeding tickets and seatbelt tickets are much more of a priority.

All the more reason why we need a real Batman.

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I wish someone would try to mug me and take my phone. I'd take great pleasure in beating them half to death.

Hope they catch the guy, though Police don't seem to be concerned with catching criminals who commit these types of crimes. Theft is a "victimless" crime, unless you had been physically assaulted. Apparently, speeding tickets and seatbelt tickets are much more of a priority.

All the more reason why we need a real Batman.

Don't mean to hijack my own thread, but having a gun pointed at me all I could think about was my pregnant wife at home and how situations like these have ended a lot worse than a stolen phone. Not worth it to escalate the situation.

I also can't say enough good things about how Baltimore City Police handled this. We got to zip around in a police cruiser canvassing the neighborhood and following up on reports of suspicious people in the area. They even brought out a helicopter to help in the search. Every officer we dealt with was extremely professional.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I used a pattern screen lock, so I'm hoping they weren't able to acces the contents of my phone, but am curious as to what data will still be left on the phone after a SIM card is replaced.

Change every password you have, even those that might not be known on the phone.
Gmail, Dropbox, Facebook, Amazon, Evernotes, Any account you had synced to the phone in any way needs to have the password changed.

Don't worry about what you have to configure on the new phone. Its past that now. (If you had the setting to remember your settings on google checked much of this is easy, but you will still have to install all of those apps.)

Pattern lock often leaves smudge marks on the screen that reduces the number of keys the thief has to guess at. They may be able to crack that phone easier than you think. The thief might not be that bright, but they will probably take it to someone who will reset it and wipe it.

Reactions: brekfest

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack my own thread, but having a gun pointed at me all I could think about was my pregnant wife at home and how situations like these have ended a lot worse than a stolen phone. Not worth it to escalate the situation.

I also can't say enough good things about how Baltimore City Police handled this. We got to zip around in a police cruiser canvassing the neighborhood and following up on reports of suspicious people in the area. They even brought out a helicopter to help in the search. Every officer we dealt with was extremely professional.

That's actually good to hear. Maybe police have different priorities there. I'd still trade places with you. I have nothing to lose and I'd love the chance to ruin a mugger's day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really sorry that happened to you. Hopefully they'll find the mugger and get your One X back

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh crap I wish I'd seen this post earlier :mad: you could try out "plan b" from the play store by lookout but it might be too late now.:banghead: Try anyway, it's worth a try...

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

Reactions: brekfest

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Oh crap I wish I'd seen this post earlier :mad: you could try out "plan b" from the play store by lookout but it might be too late now.:banghead: Try anyway, it's worth a try...

Thank me if I helped.... You know I'll do it again :) Oh, and by the way, Sent from my HTC One X

I already had Lookout installed when it was stolen. I also downloaded Plan B that night, but neither were ever able to connect to the phone. I threw in the towel yesterday and bought the replacement phone, ending any hope of finding it. Thanks for the help though.

taojin

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm shocked, Baltimore City Police are usually useless in helping anyone. But yeah I can feel your pain. Where were you mugged? Near powerplant?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer