brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
homescreen and power button: works about 50% of the time for me
volume down and power button: works about 80% of the time for me

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Or press the power and home buttons together.

Sent from my International HTC One X.

This is the Approved way.

Power and volume Down is not the correct way, nor is it even mentioned in the manual. (The manual is called Show Me in the App Drawer. Yeah, I know, who reads manuals).

And DO NOT hold after pressing home as some of the others have stated.
Press power and tap Home (while power is down) then let them both up immediately. It will work 100% of the time

4b9771a5-e2b6-7797.jpg

brekfest

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Press power and tap Home (while power is down) then let them both up immediately. It will work 100% of the time

dang.. unfortunately not the case for me. I was even a bit too generous with my previous comment. I just spent literally 5 minutes trying to do a screen grab using either method, and finally managed to get one with the home button technique. So that was probably about 30-50 attempts, with just one being successful. I hate to be that guy, but it may be time to trade this thing in for an s3 or nexus.

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Power and volume Down is not the correct way, nor is it even mentioned in the manual.

Power button and volume down is the official Ice Cream Sandwich way to do this. I'm 99% sure Google showed this off when they showcased the GNex at the ICS announcement.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
dang.. unfortunately not the case for me. I was even a bit too generous with my previous comment. I just spent literally 5 minutes trying to do a screen grab using either method, and finally managed to get one with the home button technique. So that was probably about 30-50 attempts, with just one being successful. I hate to be that guy, but it may be time to trade this thing in for an s3 or nexus.

I use the power button + volume down. It works nearly every time. It's all in your timing to be honest.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Power button and volume down is the official Ice Cream Sandwich way to do this. I'm 99% sure Google showed this off when they showcased the GNex at the ICS announcement.

The Evo4GLTE you use the power button and low volume, The HOX use the power holding in and pressing the home button.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The Evo4GLTE you use the power button and low volume, The HOX use the power holding in and pressing the home button.

I seriously cannot believe that I'm going back and forth on this... I understand there may be another way to do the screenshot, but Google set the standard with the power button + volume down. I use this method every day on my HOX (AT&T version). Not once have I used the power button + home button method.

Per Google's documentation on advising 2.3 users on the new stuff with 4.0:

You can now easily capture screenshots directly on your phone: press Power and Volume (Down) simultaneously. The screenshot is saved automatically, and the Screenshot icon appears in your status bar. Touch the notification to view your screenshot in Gallery.

Source: Here

Also as seen in the ICS keynote (as I stated earlier) here.

Last edited:

toramorigan

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've used both methods, but I stopped using the Power Button + Home version, since it saves it directly into your camera picture folder.

Power + Vol Down saves it into its own "Screenshots" folder. But that's the organizational OCD side of me showing. :)

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Swipeing the side of my hand from left to right across the entire screen also works on my galaxy note. Not sure if it would work on the HTC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I've used both methods, but I stopped using the Power Button + Home version, since it saves it directly into your camera picture folder.

Power + Vol Down saves it into its own "Screenshots" folder. But that's the organizational OCD side of me showing. :)

Power plus volume down simply changes ring tone volume on my International HOX. Not once in 50 tries did it ever take a screen shot.

They go to /sdcard/DCIM whereas camera shots go to /sdcard/DCIM/100media.

Doesn't matter what Google set as the standard, since this is not a pure Google phone. We are running Sense. Get used to it.

There may be some differences between the AT&T model and the International model simply because of the difference in processors, or the difference in software loads.

So check your manual and do exactly as it says. There is a timing learning curve, but it's quiclky mastered.

Sent from my HOX

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Swipeing the side of my hand from left to right across the entire screen also works on my galaxy note. Not sure if it would work on the HTC.

Please.

Lets stick to the HOX here and not muddy the waters with what works elsewhere.

This is an HTC phone running Sense. It's not Samsung running touchwiz, and its not pure Google.

Sent from my HOX

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I seriously cannot believe that I'm going back and forth on this... I understand there may be another way to do the screenshot, but Google set the standard with the power button + volume down. I use this method every day on my HOX (AT&T version). Not once have I used the power button + home button method.

Per Google's documentation on advising 2.3 users on the new stuff with 4.0:

You can now easily capture screenshots directly on your phone: press Power and Volume (Down) simultaneously. The screenshot is saved automatically, and the Screenshot icon appears in your status bar. Touch the notification to view your screenshot in Gallery.

Source: Here

Also as seen in the ICS keynote (as I stated earlier) here.

Very nice.

But here is a clue for you :
We are running Sense. NOT pure Ice Cream Sandwich.

So posting irrelevant appeals to authority is simply pedantic grand standing.

The international HOX does not work that way period. The AT&T may.

But in either case, its long since out of Google's hands. RTFM.

Sent from my HOX

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok it was not stated that this was the international version. People were trying to be helpful and it is appreciated.

Reactions: kkapoorr

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Please.

Lets stick to the HOX here and not muddy the waters with what works elsewhere.

This is an HTC phone running Sense. It's not Samsung running touchwiz, and its not pure Google.

Sent from my HOX

I am not running touchwiz either but all 3 methods work for me. And if you read my last sentence you might notice i said "not sure if it would work on the HTC".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non