HTC One XL (AT&T) Stuck in Headphone Mode.

lesjeff

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

First post, but I've been reading the forums for a while. Anyway, I've had my phone for about a month. About 2 weeks ago I started having this issue where the phone stays in headphone mode (icon remains in the status bar) even after the headphones have been removed. As a result, I cannot hear the phone speakers for either calls or music. Interestingly, a simple reboot will fix the problem, but completely turning the phone off and back on does not. I get a message right before the reboot warning me that all temporary files will be lost; I don't see that message before turning the phone off. I'm guessing that since a reboot fixes the problem (until I plug the headphones in again) it is somehow software related, but maybe I'm wrong? Anyone else experience a problem like this? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

First post, but I've been reading the forums for a while. Anyway, I've had my phone for about a month. About 2 weeks ago I started having this issue where the phone stays in headphone mode (icon remains in the status bar) even after the headphones have been removed. As a result, I cannot hear the phone speakers for either calls or music. Interestingly, a simple reboot will fix the problem, but completely turning the phone off and back on does not. I get a message right before the reboot warning me that all temporary files will be lost; I don't see that message before turning the phone off. I'm guessing that since a reboot fixes the problem (until I plug the headphones in again) it is somehow software related, but maybe I'm wrong? Anyone else experience a problem like this? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Does plugging in the headphone and then unplugging help?

lesjeff

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
No. I can plug and unplug to my heart's content, but no dice. I gave in and performed a factory reset last night, in hopes of solving the problem. I tested it out before installing any apps, but the problem remains, and still goes away with a simple reboot. I guess maybe it is hardware related; like some kind of stuck switch in the headphone jack or something. I really don't want to be without my phone for weeks, but I guess this one needs to go in for repair...

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you call AT&T and tell them what you have done they will send you a new one and then you can send yours in to them. Shouldn't have to go without a phone at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
No. I can plug and unplug to my heart's content, but no dice. I gave in and performed a factory reset last night, in hopes of solving the problem. I tested it out before installing any apps, but the problem remains, and still goes away with a simple reboot. I guess maybe it is hardware related; like some kind of stuck switch in the headphone jack or something. I really don't want to be without my phone for weeks, but I guess this one needs to go in for repair...

It might be something in the headphones jack. Like a tip of a headphones plug that fell off, or a broken micro switch.

If this was an older phone I would suggest you run Headset Button Controller from the play store, but since it's brand new I would take it back and get it replaced.

You shouldn't have to be fighting this problem on a new phone.

Sent from my HOX

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Refurb. My wife dropped her three day old one x and got a refurbished unit with the WiFi issue. They are sending another one soon but I'm not sure when as they have to wait for the original damaged phone to be returned.

thedroidfanatic

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The reason it isn't fixed on turning it off and on again Is that u probably have Fastboot in settings-power turned on, which doesn't actually turn ur phone.off, but hibernates it, its also bad for battery life

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Crisron7

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jeff,

I am facing the same problem which you have mentioned.
I have unlocked AT&T version of HTC ONE X.
Problem is i reside in INDIA , so i dont ve warranty outside USA.

So did you find out the root cause of that issue ?
This issue happens only during calls and music.
However when i get any notifications i can hear it loud via speakers.

I tried using headset blocker app, but it doesnt work for me . .
dont know if headset button controller or SoundAbout help in my case .
Any help /suggestions ??

Gabor85

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I have HTC One V. The first time I faced same problem, it was caused by handkerchief pieces stuck inside the socket, a simple cleaning helped :p Today it happened again with a clean socket, and had to reset phone 3 times to resolve it.